We're getting old!

Closed Thread
Old 07-30-2022, 07:45 AM
Default We're getting old!

My husband and I are doing well. But we are concerned about what will happen to the survivor when one of us passes away.

We have one adult child living in another country. No other relatives in this country.

Can anyone recommend some way to get support if one is alone? Agencies to help with day to day living? Or legal advice? I've heard of an ad leitan (sp) Would that work?

And advice would be appreciated.
Old 07-30-2022, 08:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybelle View Post
My husband and I are doing well. But we are concerned about what will happen to the survivor when one of us passes away.

We have one adult child living in another country. No other relatives in this country.

Can anyone recommend some way to get support if one is alone? Agencies to help with day to day living? Or legal advice? I've heard of an ad leitan (sp) Would that work?

Good question. There are thousands of married people and widows and widowers living in The Villages who are facing the same problem. The Villages is not designed or equipped to provide the type of support that you are asking for. You may want to start visiting some of the independent and assisted living facilities and talking with the people who live in them. Living alone in a single family house with limited transportation options is difficult for a lot of people. Good luck.
Old 07-30-2022, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:

Your foot note quote from the bible on your post would suggest you are religious, and regular church goers.
I would suggest there would be a good place to start looking for support in the event of bereavement.
Old 07-30-2022, 09:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

A Continuing Care Retirement Community might be the answer.

How Continuing Care Retirement Communities Work... click here
Old 07-31-2022, 07:06 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,089 Times in 297 Posts

Was that not part of your reason for moving to the Villages?

It was for us. When I retired, we were stuck in a corner of the country with no relatives. Our kids were all over the place. It was either pick one in snow country or move to a place with lots of things to do to keep us young, and plenty of assisted living options when we need it. Part of the appeal was that we can reach all the necessities by golf cart, when we get too old to drive. And we're surrounded by lots of friendly people doing the same.

We haven't been here long, but we're already hooked into the community. At least there will be folks to come to our funerals, and friends to lean on when the first one dies.

If you're worried about this, you need to get out more. Start with getting involved at your church.
Old 08-01-2022, 01:40 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

There are numerous organizations that provide what you are asking about. Visiting Angels comes to mind. I suggest discussing this with you PCP and your minister. Both are best aware of your personal needs and have experience helping with these decisions.
Old 08-01-2022, 04:31 AM

Quote:

Not a concern of ours, although it will happen to all of us. There are many options when it does happen.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Many of us are already old.....getting old(er).

The problem has many more solutions here in TV.
Old 08-01-2022, 08:45 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

I am now 80 years of age and have investigated a few communities into which I can move when I am no longer able to live completely independently. Although I have made no decision yet since the only family I have live in Maryland I would likely end up here where two of my aunts and an uncle reportedly happily spent their last years. One aunt lived there 12 years. At least one cousin is on their waiting list. Erickson operates communities elsewhere as well. Charlestown | Senior Living

Touchmark is a good outfit that operates several communities "up north". I do not know where the OP's adult children live but most older folks want to be near family if possible. I have friends at this one in the Boise, Idaho area as they have an adult son living nearby. Meridian, ID Senior Living | Touchmark at Meadow Lake Village

My other choice would be here as my son's in-laws all live in the San Diego area. Independent Senior Living & Retirement Community in Carlsbad, CA

All of these communities are able to provide different levels of care. Say one is pretty independent but needs a knee replacement which requires recovery time and attention. They can provide it.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

Tags
day, advice, living, country, support

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.