What about all the brick and mortar buildings?

What about all the brick and mortar buildings?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 12-28-2018, 12:07 PM

A nice little pre-school on site would be a good addition.

In a senior housing development?

Old 12-28-2018, 12:43 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
A nice little pre-school on site would be a good addition.

In a senior housing development?

My dissertation this morning had to do with repurposing empty, suburban, retail space into independent senior housing apartments. But there is a reason I mentally built a little pre-school there.

In the city I am from, there are some relatively high end continuum-of-care communities that have pre-schools on site. I think there is a psychology to it. (Do not worry. They do not make Grandma work there for free. In fact, I do not think there is much interaction, other than cute little programs the little kids put on sometimes.)

Now that I think about it, Dutchman, with total independent senior living that might not be a big deal. But it has proven to be a nice addition to the places that are classified as continuum-of-care.

But, hey, my post this morning was only my first draft.

I welcome any suggestions about what would be a good use of space in my mall repurposed into independent senior housing. Perhaps a disco?

Anyway, I just thought of something else. People who own REITs, which have been known for their nice dividends -- though I think taxes are different than regular dividends -- might own a piece of those empty malls.

Whatever, a plan needs to be in the works for all that empty, suburban space, before it is too late.

Last edited by Boomer; 12-28-2018 at 01:53 PM. Reason: needed editing
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2018, 12:46 PM
Sage

The best option is re-purposing the buildings. One example I'm aware of is in San Diego. Years ago, they built a bunch of new buildings in the Horton Plaza area including restaurants, stores, etc. But it went downhill. They are re-making the area into a tech hub so the buildings do not become vacant eyesores. I imagine the center of downtown Boston can do something similar. They are convenient to the T, Government Center, and Beacon Hill. I see many possibilities.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:54 PM
Veteran member

Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio

When we moved here we received a $250 gift card for Sears due to some damage one of their drivers did. Needed some TV's for our new home so we went to Sears in Leesburg, they had a TV department but no TV's so we bought them elsewhere. Now we needed a grill, went back to Leesburg, you guessed it, no grills other than 3 huge floor models but none in stock. Finally someone told us to go to Ocala, and there they had grills and I guess TV's but mostly they have clothes and craftsman stuff. It is pretty hard to spend $250 at Sears if you don't need tools or appliances. When we bought the grill I asked the salesman to get me a cover that would fit the model I purchased. I didn't put the grill together for about 6 weeks and the cover would not fit over it. Went back to Ocala and asked to exchange it, I was told no returns or exchanges after 30 days, I explained that the salesman gave me the wrong size, that didn't matter. I called Sears when I got home and they sent a new one to me free of charge so I will give them credit for that but their exchange policy is worthless. I'm surprised they lasted this long, you can't sell from empty shelves and poor customer service. Good news is there are plenty of retail jobs out there for those who will be looking. Sears used to have a great pension plan, I wonder if that still exists or if they changed it along the way.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:37 AM
Platinum member

They could turn all the buildings into storage facilities for Amazon. But really, it is sad to see empty buildings.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:43 AM
Sage

In the 60's and 70's malls began to pop up so the down-towns were affected. My once flourishing home-town in the midwest is so "depressed" now after their large companies of commerces (manufacturing etc) left---maybe to being swallowed up by larger entities OR work being out-sourced. The town in the 60's/70's appeared to be growing---until it wasn't. It's still the same size it was back in the mid- to late 60's. Many migrants and seniors now call it home. Younger people are leaving for larger communities. I think it's just an example of what's happening all over the country. Now, as others said---the internet is taking up slack for shopping. I like it (sometimes) as it's easy and convenient. I still like to go into a brick and mortar store though and see what's available. We all remember when Sears, Penneys, Dayton's and many others were flourishing companies. It's sad to watch their demise!
Old 12-29-2018, 07:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
My dissertation this morning had to do with repurposing empty, suburban, retail space into independent senior housing apartments. But there is a reason I mentally built a little pre-school there.

In the city I am from, there are some relatively high end continuum-of-care communities that have pre-schools on site. I think there is a psychology to it. (Do not worry. They do not make Grandma work there for free. In fact, I do not think there is much interaction, other than cute little programs the little kids put on sometimes.)

Now that I think about it, Dutchman, with total independent senior living that might not be a big deal. But it has proven to be a nice addition to the places that are classified as continuum-of-care.

But, hey, my post this morning was only my first draft.

I welcome any suggestions about what would be a good use of space in my mall repurposed into independent senior housing. Perhaps a disco?

Anyway, I just thought of something else. People who own REITs, which have been known for their nice dividends -- though I think taxes are different than regular dividends -- might own a piece of those empty malls.

Whatever, a plan needs to be in the works for all that empty, suburban space, before it is too late

It may not be retail, it may be medical, it may be Tech. It may be even a municipal building or a jail. It will be what people want and or need at the time.

I often wonder, what about all of the empty church buildings? Church attendance continues to drop, (not here) but up North.

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-29-2018 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:30 AM
Sage

In the demise of the malls up north many of the cities and towns have begun to rehab their main streets and fill them with small businesses and shops. They schedule activities like a winter stroll and car shows and art and craft shows in the summer to draw people there. They have taken the mill buildings and turned them into luxury apartments or filled them with craft shops and restaurants. This seems to be working quite well. I think wherever a void is created clever people find a way to fill it. I am sure someone will find use for the empty malls or tear them down and make something new.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
In the 60's and 70's malls began to pop up so the down-towns were affected. My once flourishing home-town in the midwest is so "depressed" now after their large companies of commerces (manufacturing etc) left---maybe to being swallowed up by larger entities OR work being out-sourced. The town in the 60's/70's appeared to be growing---until it wasn't. It's still the same size it was back in the mid- to late 60's. Many migrants and seniors now call it home. Younger people are leaving for larger communities. I think it's just an example of what's happening all over the country. Now, as others said---the internet is taking up slack for shopping. I like it (sometimes) as it's easy and convenient. I still like to go into a brick and mortar store though and see what's available. We all remember when Sears, Penneys, Dayton's and many others were flourishing companies. It's sad to watch their demise!
This comment of yours is what we actually did this past holiday season. My otherhalf needed some new chinos and a pair of dress pants. We went into Belk's to shop ..... it was just awful, it used to be a nice clean easy place to find some good clothing, this time it was just like a Church jumble sale. Racks and racks of sales clothes, nothing was correctly sized. So he found one pair of pants that he liked and in his size, tried them on, went home and ordered them on line. We would have liked to shop in the actual store, but had to resort to the internet.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-29-2018, 10:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
In the demise of the malls up north many of the cities and towns have begun to rehab their main streets and fill them with small businesses and shops. They schedule activities like a winter stroll and car shows and art and craft shows in the summer to draw people there. They have taken the mill buildings and turned them into luxury apartments or filled them with craft shops and restaurants. This seems to be working quite well. I think wherever a void is created clever people find a way to fill it. I am sure someone will find use for the empty malls or tear them down and make something new.
There is a town in Massachusetts, a suburb of Boston, called Andover where Phillips Academy is situated. Due to the Academy it attracts a lot of people. This town used to be an old Mill Town during the industrial years and the old mill buildings were standing empty and starting to look sad. Due to excellent town management they have now been renovated into beautiful condos. The high street thrives and is always packed with people. It is also a town that takes care of its elderly providing low income housing and buses.

It is one of the prettiest towns, plus it has the added advantage of being close to two major highways. This is an example that other towns could follow.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Tags
stores, boston, department, downtown, empty