What about all the brick and mortar buildings?

Closed Thread
Old 12-30-2018, 04:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
"Our own" used to be the guy who had the fish market down the street. He was put out of business by the supermarket. HIS fish was much fresher (off the boat every morning), and sometimes even less expensive. But because it was THREE WHOLE BLOCKS further from the neighborhood than the supermarket, and it involved a WHOLE EXTRA STOP just for the fish, people stopped going to him and instead got everything they needed at the supermarket. The supermarket employs mostly people who don't live in our neighborhood at all. They come in off the city bus, or drive from the next town away.

So we didn't do a very good job of "taking care of our own" did we?

You're experiencing the results of this phenomenon now, which is what this thread is all about. The brick and mortars are going out of business, because convenience has replaced quality. There's nothing to agree with or disagree with. There's fact, and there's denial.
Our own could very well work at Walmart. Or at Apple or at any large business. Large business sustains and feeds the National economy. If a small business is very good it grows and lives and even sometimes becomes a big business that employees many and reverses poverty and hunger.

The brick and mortar retail stores have gone out of business because a new technology has replaced going out of your home to shop. The brick and mortar places that paint toes and color and cut hair at this time are still needed. Supply and demand.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Our own could very well work at Walmart. Or at Apple or at any large business. Large business sustains and feeds the National economy. If a small business is very good it grows and lives and even sometimes becomes a big business that employees many and reverses poverty and hunger.

The brick and mortar retail stores have gone out of business because a new technology has replaced going out of your home to shop. The brick and mortar places that paint toes and color and cut hair at this time are still needed. Supply and demand.
You cannot outsource nails and hair dressers to the internet, you cannot put plumbing, electricity, gas, yard work, building etc. etc. on the internet. It is not a case of supply and demand, it is more a case of needing a person to do hair and nails and the other jobs. Maybe a lesson to be learned here if someone is raising children ..... steer them towards the trades. But, once again, the trades don't need a brick and mortar building on the high street, just their cell phone and a truck.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-30-2018, 08:28 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Regarding the Wal-Mart discussion:

In my perfect world, Wal-Mart would have been including company stock as a part of compensation for all their store employees.

Publix employees “own” those nice, clean stores with the helpful employees. (Publix stock is not publicly traded.)

Procter and Gamble, I think from its beginning, included stock in employee compensation. PG has a long history of paying, and increasing, dividends. (I assume other big companies have employee stock plans as a part of their business plan.)

I think stock-owning employees are good for a company. The potential for ROI is not only monetary but can have positive educational and psychological components for individuals who work there — at every level. Employee loyalty and commitment is a constant influence on ROI.

But Wal-Mart did not ask me how to run their company.

In my perfect world, McDonalds would include stock for all employees, too.

For those who think this would be a give-away, I hope you will stop and think this through. A share here and a share there, over time, would/could be an all-around investment and really good for business.

(Retail and restaurants, in general, are not known for investing in their frontline employees to cultivate employee loyalty.)
Old 12-30-2018, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Is it true that there are only a dozen or so Walmart's in Connecticut?

Is it true that Walmart just recently came to that state?

There are three here in the Villages, four if you count the one real close off 466A and 441/27.

Apparently some areas of the country are not as familiar with Walmart as others.

I still have not visited a Trader Joe's. But I have a positive feeling toward it because of opinions on this forum.

Aren't Trader Joe's a brick and mortar in strip malls? Not an anchor because they are small?

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-30-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:06 AM
Veteran member

They will look like Detroit.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:36 AM
Default Aging in place...

During our last visit to the Atlanta area, our dear friends took us to a “live, work and play” development, made possible by a failing mall or similar space. In my opinion, it addressed many if not all the needs and wants of people regardless of age. “The Villages” fulfills that need for the “boomers” era now, and I see it adaptable and desireable to many ages and stages of life in the future.

Last edited by lafinc; 12-31-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafinc View Post
During our last visit to the Atlanta area, our dear friends took us to a “live, work and play” development, made possible by a failing mall or similar space. In my opinion, it addressed many if not all the needs and wants of people regardless of age. “The Villages” fulfills that need for the “boomers” era now, and I see it adaptable and desireable to many ages and stages of life in the future.
Thank you for posting. I just did a quick search on the concept and it is really great and very forward thinking. We will just have to hope that the depressed areas of the country have elected officials with the imagination to follow some of these great ideas.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 12-31-2018, 10:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

Amazon is looking to add more Whole Foods stores......

Amazon to expand Whole Foods stores: WSJ

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2018, 12:58 PM
Platinum member

[QUOTE=graciegirl;1611539
Apparently some areas of the country are not as familiar with Walmart as others.
[/QUOTE]

It's only since we've moved here that I've become a WalMartian. Or would that be WalMartienne? There were no Walmarts convenient to us back up north.

Love the prices on household goods such as paper products, water, soda, bleach, etc., etc. And, lately I've been ordering at Walmart.com and having the heavy stuff delivered (with no shipping fees). Love it.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:10 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Something to think about ..................I have been listening to the information about major high street stores that are going out of business; i.e. Sears on shaky ground and J.C.Penny on life support and more I cannot think of right now. What will our high streets look like when the brick and mortar stores are standing empty?

When I lived in the suburbs of Boston I used to love going into Boston on a Saturday to browse and shop at all the big department stores. My favorite was Fillene's Basement - I spent hours in there finding great bargains. After shopping we would walk through the North End and buy from the deli's and then stop and eat authentic Italian food at a small restaurant. At Christmas, a trip into Boston to see the lights and decorations in the downtown department stores was a necessity.

Downtown department stores have pretty much disappeared, replaced by suburban shopping malls, which in turn are falling prey to Amazon. But, what becomes of the empty buildings and the urban decay that follows?

I admit to being as much to blame as anyone because I LOVE Amazon, they made it so easy!!! This year I even found some European items which you can buy and have sent to you from Europe. Where does it end?
Remember Jordan Marsh?
Old 12-31-2018, 01:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Remember Jordan Marsh?
Yes I do .......... the very epitome of elegance! I just did a search on Jordan Marsh and up popped the Blueberry Muffin recipe. I used to make these all the time when my children were little. I had forgotten what a great store it was. I believe some of my furniture came from there, it never wore out. Thank you for the memories!

Old 12-31-2018, 01:58 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Remember Jordan Marsh?
I have never heard of them until this post. I googled and came up with JM's interesting history:

Jordan Marsh - Wikipedia

It says that many of the JM stores were taken over by Macy's.
Old 12-31-2018, 02:47 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Yes I do .......... the very epitome of elegance! I just did a search on Jordan Marsh and up popped the Blueberry Muffin recipe. I used to make these all the time when my children were little. I had forgotten what a great store it was. I believe some of my furniture came from there, it never wore out. Thank you for the memories!
When I was a youngin, my mom would have me take the trolly downtown to Jordans for six blueberry muffins. Oh boy were they good!
Old 12-31-2018, 03:00 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Remember Jordan Marsh?
Yes, the Jordan Marsh in our city took over the building that was occupied by Bon Marche and was down the street from Cherry and Webb.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:38 PM
Sage

Does anyone remember the great Christmas display they used to have on the upper floor where the furniture was? I took my children to see their Santa every year whether they wanted to go or not because it was the best Christmas display anywhere. I'll have to ask my boys if they remember the Santa ........ they will think I have lost it!

Those blueberry muffins were huge and used to run over the edge of the muffin pan, but they always came out cleanly .... mine, not so much, had to sort of, kinda, dig them out, but we ate them anyway.

Closed Thread

Tags
stores, boston, department, downtown, empty

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.