What do you think happens when you die?

Closed Thread
Old 11-16-2022, 08:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,644 Times in 1,492 Posts

[QUOTE=Aces4;2158109]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post

So, if I tell you that you are God’s golem you now admit that you believe in God?
No. Still don't believe. But, when the "dust to dust" part of the conversation came up, it sounded to me that the Bible quote was describing a golem. The answer seems to be "yes", we are dust and will return to dust. Nothing more.
Old 11-16-2022, 10:28 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

[QUOTE=fdpaq0580;2158143]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post

No. Still don't believe. But, when the "dust to dust" part of the conversation came up, it sounded to me that the Bible quote was describing a golem. The answer seems to be "yes", we are dust and will return to dust. Nothing more.
Peace. Have a good evening.
Old 11-18-2022, 02:54 AM

Are there decisions in your life that are made based on the affect that decision may have on your 'afterlife' direction? Something like, The only reason you haven't killed your nasty neighbor is because you don't want to go to hell. Or, half of my lottery winnings are going to the Church to help insure my spot in heaven.

Is the concept of afterlife what drives morality?
Old 11-18-2022, 05:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest View Post
Are there decisions in your life that are made based on the affect that decision may have on your 'afterlife' direction? Something like, The only reason you haven't killed your nasty neighbor is because you don't want to go to hell. Or, half of my lottery winnings are going to the Church to help insure my spot in heaven.

Is the concept of afterlife what drives morality?
For some, perhaps. But, I believe that morals and ethics are taught by our species as a way to get along with one another. The "Golden Rule" works well regardless of whether you are religious or not. It is practical life strategy. As you travel and observe other cultures with different beliefs you will see some moral or ethical differences.
Old 11-18-2022, 11:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,644 Times in 1,515 Posts

Interesting how the non-believers claim they are insulted/offended when someone says "GOD bless you, bless you or have blessed day." And yet, they are OK with insulting those of faith with comparisons of our faith with Santa, Easter Bunny or the tooth fairy. They also suggest that GOD created a golem, which is not offensive at all, right? It is ironic that those that are attempting to do good will such as spreading the good word as instructed by the Bible are considered to be insulting. Which would be considered to be a good citizen; a person that attempts to tell you that GOD is a myth and childish if you believe, or a person that feels an obligation to save your eternal soul by passing on information on how to save yourself? Which one has your best interest at heart?
The question of the OP was what do we think happens when we die? There were a lot of different views or opinions. On the other hand, the only ones that were disputed, disparaged or run down were the beliefs of an afterlife based on religious faith. I'm not complaining, only pointing out that a couple folks on here said they were offended by kind wishes based on religious belief. So, I appreciate the kind gesture of wishing one a "good day" or a "blessed day" or wishing GOD to "bless" me. If one says "May Allah's light shine upon you" to me, I will also take that as a kindness and not be offended.
Believing in GOD's grace and salvation to me is like having insurance. Having it and not needing it is a lot better than not having it and needing it.
Old 11-18-2022, 12:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Interesting how the non-believers claim they are insulted/offended when someone says "GOD bless you, bless you or have blessed day." And yet, they are OK with insulting those of faith with comparisons of our faith with Santa, Easter Bunny or the tooth fairy. They also suggest that GOD created a golem, which is not offensive at all, right? It is ironic that those that are attempting to do good will such as spreading the good word as instructed by the Bible are considered to be insulting. Which would be considered to be a good citizen; a person that attempts to tell you that GOD is a myth and childish if you believe, or a person that feels an obligation to save your eternal soul by passing on information on how to save yourself? Which one has your best interest at heart?
The question of the OP was what do we think happens when we die? There were a lot of different views or opinions. On the other hand, the only ones that were disputed, disparaged or run down were the beliefs of an afterlife based on religious faith. I'm not complaining, only pointing out that a couple folks on here said they were offended by kind wishes based on religious belief. So, I appreciate the kind gesture of wishing one a "good day" or a "blessed day" or wishing GOD to "bless" me. If one says "May Allah's light shine upon you" to me, I will also take that as a kindness and not be offended.
Believing in GOD's grace and salvation to me is like having insurance. Having it and not needing it is a lot better than not having it and needing it.
LOL, I just love the “insurance” part! Yes, it is wonderful if you can believe, but some people absolutely can’t, they need to know. I am one of them. You know, the doubting Thomas etc. And for some reason I take pleasure in other people’s good will. I’m just working on my own to get better.
Old 11-18-2022, 10:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
If you feel insulted by anything I said, my sincerest apologies. This is why discussions regarding faith or the lack of it are difficult, at best. Usually both parties can find reason to feel slighted because they are not speaking from the same place. No real common ground.
For example, you resent references to Santa and the Easter Bunny, but both play a big roll in a childs Cristian holiday introduction. The question about whether or not we are golem was actually a serious question based on the description of God creating man and the description of a golem. A creature fashioned from earth/dust, activated by magical means, then returning to earth/dust when it has served its purpose.
You said you are doing what the Bible says you are supposed to do , spread the word. We see your "good work" as meddling in the lives of others, attempting to make converts of those who believe differently than you, and denigrate our beliefs or lack thereof, and try to frighten us into accepting your Jesus as Lord and savior with threats of our souls will burn in He'll
for eternity. Surely you can see how insulting it can be from our side.
So, you can genuinely wish me a Merry Christmas, and I will wish you a genuine Happy Holidays.
But, in business, keep it business like. Have a good night!
🙏Peace!
Old 11-19-2022, 12:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Quote:
If you feel insulted by anything I said, my sincerest apologies. This is why discussions regarding faith or the lack of it are difficult, at best. Usually both parties can find reason to feel slighted because they are not speaking from the same place. No real common ground.
For example, you resent references to Santa and the Easter Bunny, but both play a big roll in a childs Cristian holiday introduction. The question about whether or not we are golem was actually a serious question based on the description of God creating man and the description of a golem. A creature fashioned from earth/dust, activated by magical means, then returning to earth/dust when it has served its purpose.
You said you are doing what the Bible says you are supposed to do , spread the word. We see your "good work" as meddling in the lives of others, attempting to make converts of those who believe differently than you, and denigrate our beliefs or lack thereof, and try to frighten us into accepting your Jesus as Lord and savior with threats of our souls will burn in He'll
So, you can genuinely wish me a Merry Christmas, and I will wish you a genuine Happy Holidays.
Peace!
Yes…but…but…it’s not a personal choice, it is an ORDER

(If you accept the New Testament)

Acts 10:42
“And he commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one appointed by God to be judge of the living and the dead.”

(And if you accept the Old Testament)

Isaiah 43:10
‘“You are my witnesses,’ declares the Lord, ‘and my servant whom I have chosen, that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor shall there be any after me.”’

It isn’t like one of us made up our minds, that by golly, no matter what you think, I will talk you into something else! That’s what politicians do.
Old 11-19-2022, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,644 Times in 1,515 Posts

Quote:
🙏Peace!
Naw, not insulted....just making a comparison. To be honest with you, I wish the cashiers at stores a "have a great day" as I leave.
BUT, that has nothing to do with what happens to you when you die. I imagine that some folks may say "Bon Voyage" when someone passes, which probably won't have any meaning to those that do not believe in an afterlife.
Old 11-19-2022, 09:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Naw, not insulted....just making a comparison. To be honest with you, I wish the cashiers at stores a "have a great day" as I leave.
BUT, that has nothing to do with what happens to you when you die. I imagine that some folks may say "Bon Voyage" when someone passes, which probably won't have any meaning to those that do not believe in an afterlife.
"Bon Voyage". I like that! I don't believe in an aferlife, so "Bon voyage" is, in essence, saying may whatever death brings you, may it be good.

Last edited by fdpaq0580; 11-19-2022 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-19-2022, 09:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Yes…but…but…it’s not a personal choice, it is an ORDER!

It isn’t like one of us made up our minds, that by golly, no matter what you think, I will talk you into something else! That’s what politicians do.
"Just following orders". The ultimate excuse. The ultimate absolver of personal responsibility. If you believe, you have no choice.?. If you don't believe (the Bible), then it is insult at the very least. There was a time when people were tortured, burned at the stake and murdered, simply because they had different beliefs. "So sorry. Just following orders. You understand?"
"I will talk you into something else", isn't only politicians. It includes missionaries, prophets, preachers and others.
So, keep it business like at work, please.
Old 12-05-2022, 04:09 PM
Default I’m going home to be with the Lord and Praise Him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djean1981 View Post
I'm going home to the Lord.
I’m going home to Worship and Praise the Lord! What a day that will be!
Old 12-05-2022, 05:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaschroder21@gmail.com View Post
I’m going home to Worship and Praise the Lord! What a day that will be!
I sincerely hope you get your wish.

I, on the other hand, will be only a fleeting memory with my atoms and energy spread across the universe.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.