What a farce for vaccinations

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2021, 10:21 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

The Health Departments have proven to be incompetent in getting the vaccine out. Phone systems that crash, Mass chaos at first come first served drive up sites, websites that overload, etc.

Publix on the other hand already had an online system for vaccine appointments and deployed it with great success. I say pull all the vaccines out of the HD's except what is needed for patients in extended care facilities, and those who cannot go out and ship it to Publix. The have their act together.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:31 AM
Gold member

Don't go the "I'm a veteran" route when you complain about this. So am I and so are hundred of others in The Villages. I saw this fiasco coming a mile away. We had a plan for the vaccine but not for the vaccination. I have many good ideas to get this vaccination rolling at a bigger scale. But, too much politics are involved and too many people have connections to get a shot.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:32 AM
Gold member

The VA is currently at age group over 75 according to my recent email.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,670 Times in 5,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
The Health Departments have proven to be incompetent in getting the vaccine out. Phone systems that crash, Mass chaos at first come first served drive up sites, websites that overload, etc.

Publix on the other hand already had an online system for vaccine appointments and deployed it with great success. I say pull all the vaccines out of the HD's except what is needed for patients in extended care facilities, and those who cannot go out and ship it to Publix. The have their act together.
What's the difference? Both Publix and the Health Department have a website to schedule an appointment, but you can't get an appointment on either one. The Publix website just tells you to check back every day for updates.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:17 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottoguy View Post
Don't go the "I'm a veteran" route when you complain about this. So am I and so are hundred of others in The Villages. I saw this fiasco coming a mile away. We had a plan for the vaccine but not for the vaccination. I have many good ideas to get this vaccination rolling at a bigger scale. But, too much politics are involved and too many people have connections to get a shot.

Why not read the entire thread without making negative comments? I am a 100% disabled veteran. Proud that I served my Country. I have dealt with the VA for over 20 years. I know how they operate and it is like turning a big ship. I know how many veterans are here and I don't need you telling me. I am not concerned about myself but about my wife. Read the thread again before commenting.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottoguy View Post
The VA is currently at age group over 75 according to my recent email.
According to the Clinic here unless you call and get on the list you will NOT be called. It is two to six weeks following.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:15 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,549 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForChange View Post
I hope you feel better by posting that. Just being over 70 is not enough. Those who are cancer patients having more surgery and diabetic (no fault of hers) should have a priority. There is always a smart person who responds with a curt answer. Congrats!
You do realize that your situation is not unique? There are way more than 340 cancer patients over the age of 70 in Sumter county. And sadly, there are people over the age of 70 who have far more risks.
The vaccines that are available are getting out. It's not the counties fault that they only have so many doses, and quite frankly, the online signup is far easier than hitting redial every 3 seconds. Eventbrite is designed to serve many thousands who want concert tickets when there are only 1000 available.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:31 PM
Veteran member
Angry What a way to run get reservations for Covid - Eventbrite is a Joke

Tried this morning at 8 and thought I was lucky Eventbrite told me they were looking for a ticket ??? >> Hopeful but 14 minutes later it came back and said sorry for making you wait but all tickets were sold - They must send the request to someone sitting in their garage by smoke signal (after they start the fire) who then has to review all of the 200 tickets sold (after they first drink their coffee ) to ensure there was still 1 or 2 left of the 200 and then finish their 2nd cup of coffee and start another fire to send a smoke signal back to Eventbrite who then sends me a message that all tickets are sold >> impressive. I think they should have asked Alexa, she would have known immediately.

That's not all > now they sent me an email indicating Sumter county issued new tickets/reservations in Feb but when I go to the site they point me to which (hasn't actually started yet ) it tells me all tickets were Sold out for that date.

I guess the good news is that I'm not waiting in a long line outside in the cold for shots I won't get, I'm sitting at home in a long line with 10,000 others (that's a guess) in front of a computer trying to figure out how to use Eventbrite to get covid shot tickets, getting frustrated (because we have a big cruise in April and won't leave if we don't have the 2 shots by then).
Oh well, its too cold for golf, Pickleball or dancing in the Square.

Think positive they might add 100 more tickets next month.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadspet View Post
Tried this morning at 8 and thought I was lucky Eventbrite told me they were looking for a ticket ??? >> Hopeful but 14 minutes later it came back and said sorry for making you wait but all tickets were sold - They must send the request to someone sitting in their garage by smoke signal (after they start the fire) who then has to review all of the 200 tickets sold (after they first drink their coffee ) to ensure there was still 1 or 2 left of the 200 and then finish their 2nd cup of coffee and start another fire to send a smoke signal back to Eventbrite who then sends me a message that all tickets are sold >> impressive. I think they should have asked Alexa, she would have known immediately.

That's not all > now they sent me an email indicating Sumter county issued new tickets/reservations in Feb but when I go to the site they point me to which (hasn't actually started yet ) it tells me all tickets were Sold out for that date.

I guess the good news is that I'm not waiting in a long line outside in the cold for shots I won't get, I'm sitting at home in a long line with 10,000 others (that's a guess) in front of a computer trying to figure out how to use Eventbrite to get covid shot tickets, getting frustrated (because we have a big cruise in April and won't leave if we don't have the 2 shots by then).
Oh well, its too cold for golf, Pickleball or dancing in the Square.

Think positive they might add 100 more tickets next month.
Are you sure it said "sorry". They didn't say sorry to me.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:59 PM

We stayed in the queue this morning for 15 minutes and never got so much as a by-your-leave from the web site other than "Don't bother refreshing your browser" lol Yeah, well finally opened a new tab on the browser and saw that all shots were taken - try another day. Total of 340 shots for the 2020 estimated 136,000 and change population in Sumter County - that is about 0.249 percent. Big whoop-de-do about vaccine availability. It will be a couple months or more before we see any progress.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:08 PM

VA @ Mulberry sent out notice, shots to commence "soon".
Old 01-10-2021, 02:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty6971 View Post
We stayed in the queue this morning for 15 minutes and never got so much as a by-your-leave from the web site other than "Don't bother refreshing your browser" lol Yeah, well finally opened a new tab on the browser and saw that all shots were taken - try another day. Total of 340 shots for the 2020 estimated 136,000 and change population in Sumter County - that is about 0.249 percent. Big whoop-de-do about vaccine availability. It will be a couple months or more before we see any progress.
The website is not limited to Sumter County residents. Anyone in Florida can try to make an appointment.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:31 PM
Default Time for Change

I tried to sign up also but it was already sold out. Same old story......Maybe it will change once they release all the vaccines as has been suggested. I think they should have done by social security number (first 3 numbers, then who is 65 and eligible for social security. The health department is completely overwhelmed. I wander why Sumter County is making you sign a release form or a doctors permission if you are taking blood thinners? Sure would be interesting to find out why.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForChange View Post
Just so you know I really don't care about myself. It is my cancer surviving wife who is diabetic and no fault of her on and she is not over weight. She is having more surgery the last week of the Month. Sorry but I care more about her after 52 years than anyone else in FL.
So many of us fit into the criteria, even with the added "cancer survivor" but let's not lose track of the fact that the world has not ever had a Pandemic in our living memory...and the world has not ever had a vaccine (Thank God) for the almost complete cure of this disease. Also...do not forget that Florida is one of four states who have given by far the most inoculations. I am hoping that every Publix will soon be able to administer them.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:47 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,309 Times in 543 Posts

First, I’m sure most of us on this site knows someone that could use the vaccine for reasons worse than ours. Second, I’m sure there are health care workers and those in assisting living centers who want and could use a vaccine shot who have yet to received one. My point is we need to have a little patience and let the health care system work out the bugs and the smart people working there do their jobs. We are early in the “roll out” of the vaccine and I believe in the near future the system will get better. We can do better and l’m confident we will.

Tags
shot, virus, vietnam, shots, week

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.