What a farce for vaccinations

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2021, 03:55 PM
Veteran member

I'm not waiting to get the vaccination any longer than I have to wait and I'm not ever giving up because another person wants it more than me for my wife. You go ahead and wait. I'm not.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trishakaye View Post
I’m surprised the VA hasn’t been mandated to vaccine veterans over 70.
Orlando VA vaccinated vets 75 and older last week.
Old 01-10-2021, 07:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForChange View Post
Sumter County Health had a sign up this morning for 300 shots to be given this week. Wife and were kicked out of the sign up link within 15 minutes with two computers. Wife is 71, a 20 plus year cancer patient and diabetic and has another surgery scheduled later this month. I am 75 and a disabled Vietnam veteran. Friends I have spoken to in other States even younger than me are getting vaccinations this week. The site called "eventbrite" that the County uses says the "shots are free" and "just wait we are trying to find you a ticket". I felt like I was trying to get tickets to see a famous entertainer rather than a shot for the virus! I sat in front of my computer thinking, "I went through a war where I was in harms way everyday and here I am trying to get a shot for a virus brought to the US by Chinese who were supplying the enemy we fought in Vietnam."
There are THOUSANDS of people in the Villages who are either 71 and a 20+ year cancer survivor, or 75 and a disabled Vietnam veteran, or some combination thereof. There were only 300 vaccines available.

So do the math. Why do you feel you, of thousands others in your situation, should have been the ones to get the vaccine? Which of those thousands of others in your situation should have been told no instead of you?

MOST people have not been vaccinated yet. MOST people who were veterans of more than one war, whose immunity systems are compromised currently (not just 20 years ago), who have heart conditions, lung conditions, or other disabilities that put them at risk, were not able to get vaccinated.

You are no more deserving than any of them. You didn't hit the button at the right moment. You'll get your chance eventually, just like everyone else who missed their chance this time around.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:36 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasr View Post
Agreed. Apparently Marion County had a waiting list and they had to stop doing that after they had more then 30,000 people signed up for the waiting list.
I believe they cut off sign-ups at 50,000. My wife and I signed up over a week ago but have no idea where we are in the que. We had to sig-up individually, but the smarter thing to do would be to allow husband and wife (if both over 65) to sign up together so separate trips at possibly separate sites would not be necessary. They are supposed to call and we are to keep our phones at our sides all the time for what could be weeks or months. No actual info when signing up what happens if we miss the call, though the rumor is if missed we go to the bottom of the list. They knew this vaccine was coming 6 months ago but typical government non efficiency has surfaced as it usually does. Waiting for Publix to get the vaccine so I can go to the Deli, take a number and get a pound of Boar’s Head ham and a shot!
Old 01-10-2021, 08:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
There are THOUSANDS of people in the Villages who are either 71 and a 20+ year cancer survivor, or 75 and a disabled Vietnam veteran, or some combination thereof. There were only 300 vaccines available.

So do the math. Why do you feel you, of thousands others in your situation, should have been the ones to get the vaccine? Which of those thousands of others in your situation should have been told no instead of you?

MOST people have not been vaccinated yet. MOST people who were veterans of more than one war, whose immunity systems are compromised currently (not just 20 years ago), who have heart conditions, lung conditions, or other disabilities that put them at risk, were not able to get vaccinated.

You are no more deserving than any of them. You didn't hit the button at the right moment. You'll get your chance eventually, just like everyone else who missed their chance this time around.
You make a valid point, OOB. But....there must be some people who are over 65 and have no co-morbidities that put them at risk of a bad outcome if they contract Covid who did hit the button and "got in" to get a ticket. I can see why it doesn't seem fair to thousands of people, especially compromised veterans who served our country, to wind up behind folks who are healthy but just the right age to qualify.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Sumter County Health had a sign up this morning for 300 shots to be given this week. Wife and were kicked out of the sign up link within 15 minutes with two computers. Wife is 71, a 20 plus year cancer patient and diabetic and has another surgery scheduled later this month. I am 75 and a disabled Vietnam veteran. Friends I have spoken to in other States even younger than me are getting vaccinations this week. The site called "eventbrite" that the County uses says the "shots are free" and "just wait we are trying to find you a ticket". I felt like I was trying to get tickets to see a famous entertainer rather than a shot for the virus! I sat in front of my computer thinking, "I went through a war where I was in harms way everyday and here I am trying to get a shot for a virus brought to the US by Chinese who were supplying the enemy we fought in Vietnam."
Did you try local VA clinic. I seen two lines last week getting shots. I doubt they was flu shots?
Old 01-10-2021, 09:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

If you think about it 300 with 120000 trying to get it, the odds are not good. Plus many in the medical field has not received it yet. For me, my doctor said I am not to be vaccinated as my immune system is too compromised so I will wait for his ok.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Actually I’m waiting to be able to buy the shot, there won’t be no long lines there.
Old 01-11-2021, 12:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by will1546 View Post
Tried the same sites, also to no avail. So far the system is a bust.
they had 140 doses each available for two days. We got on at 8 on the dot per our gps. Husband was kicked off immediately. I waited 15 minutes while they were "looking for tickets," only to be told none available.

There has to be some unknown-to-us-peons reason why these doses are being held up.

Also, I signed up to Eventbrite and applied to be notified for vaccination signups. Yet I did not receive any information regarding this sighnup. My neighbor read it in the paper.

So we continue to do, or not to do, the things that have kept us safe so far. But it's very frustrating.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGVillages View Post
I believe they cut off sign-ups at 50,000. My wife and I signed up over a week ago but have no idea where we are in the que. We had to sig-up individually, but the smarter thing to do would be to allow husband and wife (if both over 65) to sign up together so separate trips at possibly separate sites would not be necessary. They are supposed to call and we are to keep our phones at our sides all the time for what could be weeks or months. No actual info when signing up what happens if we miss the call, though the rumor is if missed we go to the bottom of the list. They knew this vaccine was coming 6 months ago but typical government non efficiency has surfaced as it usually does. Waiting for Publix to get the vaccine so I can go to the Deli, take a number and get a pound of Boar’s Head ham and a shot!
I second the motion!!!
Old 01-11-2021, 11:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
If you think about it 300 with 120000 trying to get it, the odds are not good. Plus many in the medical field has not received it yet. For me, my doctor said I am not to be vaccinated as my immune system is too compromised so I will wait for his ok.
He said that? Even when I was on heavy doses of Chemo for cancer some years ago, my oncology doctor was seeing that I was up on seasonal flu shots and other vaccinations. This is when he cautioned me to stay away from large gatherings to avoid colds etc.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Same problem here.

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Old 01-11-2021, 01:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
You make a valid point, OOB. But....there must be some people who are over 65 and have no co-morbidities that put them at risk of a bad outcome if they contract Covid who did hit the button and "got in" to get a ticket. I can see why it doesn't seem fair to thousands of people, especially compromised veterans who served our country, to wind up behind folks who are healthy but just the right age to qualify.
...and that is exactly why I have made the decision to wait, even after I become eligible for the vaccine. There are people who need it more than I do. Unlike some people, I don't feel "entitled" to something just because I'm disabled, or just because I'm retired, or just because I'm white, or just because I'm Jewish, or just because I live in the Villages. I don't feel like I should of course go first because I "deserve" to go first. That's horsepucky and hossenfeffers, pure and unadulterated.

The only people who SHOULD get it before everyone else, are the people who are at the highest risk of spreading the illness to everyone else. And that would be the medical professionals, emergency room and hospital staff, anyone working directly with the public (yes, that means cashiers in supermarkets), bus drivers, waiters in restaurants, etc.

EVERYONE else should be behind that group.

Thank y'all for your service, and now get in line with everyone else.
Old 01-11-2021, 01:34 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
What's the difference? Both Publix and the Health Department have a website to schedule an appointment, but you can't get an appointment on either one. The Publix website just tells you to check back every day for updates.
The Publix site handled 19,000 reservations in two hours without a hitch. No phone systems or websites crashing. What you see now is because they are waiting for their next shipment. That's why the site tells you to check back daily.
Old 01-11-2021, 04:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post

A lottery or other chance system would be better than this "no system".
Closed Thread

Tags
shot, virus, vietnam, shots, week

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.