What is going on?

Closed Thread
Old 03-02-2019, 08:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs down What is going on?

Is it me or has food taste changed. It appears that in the last 5-10 years food has turned to include loads of spice or pepper! The straw that broke the camel's back was the latest bottle of Heinz Ketchup that we bought. It has so much spice it is not eatable. It is hard to find some foods that are not loaded with spice and god forbid you order food in a Restaurant today without it being loaded with spice or pepper. What is going on??
Old 03-02-2019, 08:43 AM
Veteran member
Default What's going on

I don't know your age, but:
Your sense of smell and taste change as you age. Between the ages of 40 and 50, the number of taste buds decreases, and the rest begin to shrink, losing mass vital to their operation. After age 60, you may begin to lose the ability to distinguish the taste of sweet, salty, sour, and bitter foods.

Some foods I loved when younger my tummy can no longer tolerate.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:43 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,773 Times in 3,641 Posts

Old people taste buds change.

Old 03-02-2019, 09:15 AM
Sage

Could be age or meds! My MIL used to complain her food had a metal taste...and she couldn't stand anything with "spice"...not necessarily "hot".
Old 03-02-2019, 09:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs down Nay Sayers

A simple test for the "Nay Sayers" regarding spice's and pepper now added to almost all foods. Buy an order, including take out at "Carrabb's" and include their mashed potatoes and test them for spice/pepper. Not med's, age, etc etc just plain a lot hotter food than in other years ago. Know the peppers years ago in eating Italian food and this is creeping near that BUT not at that level.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:00 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Old people taste buds change.

I hope I can remember that when I get old.
Old 03-02-2019, 10:22 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,773 Times in 3,641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I hope I can remember that when I get old.

Write it down now, your memory is the second thing to go.

Old 03-02-2019, 11:04 AM
Veteran member

Interesting! I always learn something from these posts.

New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?
Old 03-02-2019, 11:05 AM
Veteran member

I always think the restaurants "spice things up" to cover up near spoiled foods. Just sayin'
Old 03-02-2019, 11:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,042 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
Is it me or has food taste changed. It appears that in the last 5-10 years food has turned to include loads of spice or pepper! The straw that broke the camel's back was the latest bottle of Heinz Ketchup that we bought. It has so much spice it is not eatable. It is hard to find some foods that are not loaded with spice and god forbid you order food in a Restaurant today without it being loaded with spice or pepper. What is going on??
I haven't noticed more spice in general, but I agree with the Heinz Ketchup comment. I opened a new bottle not long ago and threw it away. I'm not sure I would call it spicy, but it tasted terrible.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Daughter Helene and I tasted our newly opened bottle of Heinz Ketchup and it tasted the same to us. We had it on Salmon Patties last night and it was yummy.

Googled around and found that Heinz has recently released a new product of ketchup and mayonnaise blended together, called "Mayochup" that is more spicy, but I am sure you would have noticed the color being lighter.

Here's what Heinz's Mayochup sauce actually tastes like - INSIDER

Some medications can cause a metallic taste to food, but you both agreed it was more spicy???
Old 03-02-2019, 12:29 PM
Veteran member

When we moved down 10 years ago from NY we noticed right away that they used a lot of hot pepper in a lot of their dishes..I figured it was all of the Mexicans and south Americans working in the kitchens...When Red sauce first opened in SL we couldn't continue going there because of the hot pepper they put in their sauces....( we tried again recently and it perfect) I had a sister in law that was addicted to hot pepper sauce and carried it in her purse...some people like the hot taste so to each their own...
Old 03-02-2019, 12:31 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Were you using the 'original' ketchup or a less sugar, lower sodium variant?

Heinz is making a MASSIVE change to ketchup - and it could be good for you

Are you on a new medication?

Personally, I prefer Trader Joe's organic ketchup. Try it sometime.

Having grown up in New Mexico and eaten both red and green chile nearly daily I love spicy food. When my east coast relatives have visited me there most all of them could not handle even the mildest chile dishes. They did not seem to enjoy the flavor either. I guess it is all what one is used to eating.

New Mexico chile - Wikipedia

I never really adjusted to eating most east coast and midwest food which I find far too bland and tasteless. Maryland steamed crab is an exception as are some spicy Italian sauces which I dearly love.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 03-02-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
I've noticed restaurants up north doing the same in some instances. I know when my husband's niece went on a salt restricted diet some years back she started adding more pepper to her dishes for added flavor while omitting the salt. With so many wanting or needing less salt in their food these days, is it possible that pepper/spice is becoming the new salt and restaurants are doing the same?

Not sure about Heinz Ketchup - haven't had it in awhile.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Stopped using Heinz as it seemed too sweet. Trying Hunt's.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Closed Thread

Tags
spice, food, loaded, pepper, find

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.