What is going on?

Closed Thread
Old 03-02-2019, 02:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Many restaurants use to much spice as a cover for dodgy ingredients.
Takeaways are biggest offenders, after my wife.
I am not running her cooking down, but even our dog eats out!
Old 03-02-2019, 03:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile Grew Up Using It

We had always used Heinz . In fact I grew up just outside of Pittsburgh and use to tour their plant when we were young. I wonder if this is just a trend for the food industry. Today you have to tell the waiter or waitress "nothing spicy" and we never had to do that in the past. Also you say if it is "spicy" I don''t want it. One guess is that most chef's today are younger and used spicy foods and it is normal to them. I did send a note to Kraft/Heinz Division asking why this is now the taste of their product. Years ago we had a Villa in Tuscany, with kitchen, etc and I bought a cold American Cereal from one of the stores in the Village. It was great, even dry so when we returned to the US I bought a box here and it was different. I sent a note to Kellog's and they told me they use different ingredent's in different countries thus the difference between Italy and the US. You learn some thing every day.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

My entire childhood family would put Catsup on everything. Including Steak and Tomatoes. I would never try it and remove it from the table in any restaurant that has it there.
classic Heinz Ketchup Anticipation TV ad 1979 - YouTube On Steak! Isn't that a sin?
Old 03-02-2019, 04:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
Is it me or has food taste changed. It appears that in the last 5-10 years food has turned to include loads of spice or pepper! The straw that broke the camel's back was the latest bottle of Heinz Ketchup that we bought. It has so much spice it is not eatable. It is hard to find some foods that are not loaded with spice and god forbid you order food in a Restaurant today without it being loaded with spice or pepper. What is going on??
Special spices currently in favor by chefs can be changed when newer meals are “designed.” Seems that younger individuals enjoy more spices than older individuals. I’m sure that chefs working for food companies stay current with whatever is “in” at the time. I generally look for the words, “New and Improved”....lol.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
Is it me or has food taste changed. It appears that in the last 5-10 years food has turned to include loads of spice or pepper!
When we came here (2010) some restaurants were putting a lot of salt in the meals, but that seems to have been reduced.

I love pepper and other spices, but it should really be left to the individual to add as they see fit.
Closed Thread

Tags
spice, food, loaded, pepper, find

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.