What if...

Closed Thread
Old 04-26-2019, 08:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trayderjoe View Post
I would have liked to have become a marine biologist. My grandfather used to breed tropical fish back in the 60's and got me my first aquarium at 10 years of age. I also grew up on the shore, so I have always had an interest in marine life.
Fondly reminds me of George Costanza from Seinfeld. I was into Tropical fish at a young age and have considered getting going again. So relaxing when things are going well.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:29 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,749 Posts

I wanted to become a Beverly Hills plastic surgeon but the training would have taken too long.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-27-2019, 04:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

I became the 'man of the house' aged 11, when my father died in post WW2 London..
Education became secondary to earning, so I bunked off school on a regular basis.
I would have loved to been an author, as the only thing that gave me any further education and hope was books.
I devoured them, and even now there is always one open somewhere close by.
Mind you lack of formal education was not a handicap in later years, as a thick skull and a strong back, gave me a life I could never have dreamed of back then.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:17 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

I filled out the paperwork to join the Navy and see the world, but SHE convinced me to stay home. She is long gone, but not in time for me to join.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:21 AM

I wanted to be an astronaut from the age of 10. But American women weren't astronauts back then, couldn't even fly the military jets in the early 70's. I was going to join the Air Force out of high school, but then "fell in love" with a guy who wasn't supportive and chose him instead. Something women tend to do unfortunately!
I have also thought I should have been a Botanist, as gardening is my favorite hobby. Or maybe a Naturalist, a wider field. Or maybe Social Studies, I find other cultures fascinating. Or an artist, I do have a little talent. I really never could decide what to do when I grow up....
Old 04-27-2019, 06:24 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
In my next life I will play the violin. I begged for that as a child, but was limited to the piano. (My fingers are short; I was never any good at the piano.) I think maybe there were two reasons for not being allowed to play the violin. Maybe three. 1. We had a piano, we did not have a violin. 2. I don't think my parents could afford a violin and the lessons. 3. It wasn't available in school the way it was for our kids.

There might be a fourth: I think the sound of me screeching on the violin would have driven my mother bats**t crazy. She had issues.
LOL - I wanted to play the piano but we could not afford one so my parents chose what they thought was the next best thing ... the accordion. Boy was I bad. Then in high school I started learning the violin. Boy was I bad. After my divorce from my first husband, I bought a piano and started taking lessons. Boy was I bad.

Conclusion: Don't quit your day job!
Old 04-27-2019, 06:29 AM
Platinum member

But back to career choices -- if I could go back in time -- I would have a. been a judge which to some extent was how I felt in my various positions as Director of HR for a couple of major law and accounting firms. But to fulfill that internal void I definitely would have been the lyric writer -- working with a composer -- to turn out great Broadway musicals. To this day my absolute favorite lyricist is Stephen Sondheim.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,278 Times in 807 Posts

Given my love of nature my wish was to be the officer in charge of identifying and removal of nuisance beaver from local environs.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

I had wanted to be a law librarian but got kicked out. I had been at the annual law librarian convention in 1991 in New Orleans and had also been studying for the Minnesota bar in the evening. Had ordered room service and was in my underwear. Anyway, I went to leave the plate outside my door and the door shut on me. So I went down to the front desk in the hotel where most of the law librarian convention took place. Some of law librarians saw me and one joked "That is not all he has locked himself out of". This was true as I could not break the blacklist put on me. I had made a personal issue of mine professional seemed to be the line. My problem was practical stuff in libraries of all kinds for survivors/victims of crimes which I based on my personal experience dealing with the Michelle Mitchell 2-24-1976 murder that happened a few yards from the University of Nevada, Reno campus. The murder had a very large impact on co-eds at UNR as well as professors. Up until it was "solved" in 1979. 2-24 is also my birthday and I had received a small Memorial Scholarship in the name of Michelle Mitchell from the Mitchell family.

I got four degrees to do something from within the law librarianship profession but could not use them as I crossed some of the most powerful people in law librarianship.

I kept at this anyway as a hobby and told this story to writers, politicians, psychiatrists, social workers, public health professors, lawyers, librarians, victim/witness assistance providers, etc. And got nominations to 24 Marquis Who's Who publications while working from my parents' and/or aunt's or brothers' houses in various locations in CA, IL, and FL. And was listed in 14 of these Marquis Who's Who publications.

Told a lot of this to an interviewer/researcher at the University of California, San Francisco Health Sciences Campus in late 1992-1993 in a 17 week study on stress on the unemployed. And showed her some of the documents involved. I was trained by the U of MN Law School to document everything as much as possible. The interviewer/researcher at the UCSF did wait until I had finished the study to tell me that she thought I had a good cause. I was subject #613.

Movie stars, studios, and movie directors were also part of my plan to do something without a real employer. I thought I needed the most influential story tellers help with this. And I have exchanged messages of various kinds with a lot of movie stars and/or TV stars as well as writers.

I did sense a break in the blacklist at times from law librarians I continued to interview with to just before I moved to the Villages in 2005 and a Villages Daily Sun journalist, Gary Corsair, interviewed me in May of 2007 and wrote a piece about me that came out around Memorial Day of 2007. He did come across some e-mails I had sent the Snopes.com people that I had stupidly written them back around 2002. I also had just met Gary Corsair so I did not want him looking through my records and the like.

I never really had a career but did and do have quite a hobby. I had earned all the degrees and more needed for the career though and had helped prisoners with their cases while I was a student and the Student Director with Legal Assistance to Minnesota Prisoners attached to the University of Minnesota Law School.

I did not pass the MN Bar getting a 251 out of at least a 260 score but I sure wrote them and told them about the problems I had at the New Orleans' law library convention in 1991. This experience had put a lot of stress on me and I wanted to make sure it was documented. And I hoped that MN Bar would grant me those 9 points. They did not.

I had gone to the San Francisco Law Librarian convention in the Summer of 1992 and the feelings I got from the people there were even worse. They had circled the wagons. I was laughed at while going to job interviews in law libraries.

And this auto-biographical stuff would make a great movie and a book. The 1989 law librarian convention had been in Reno, Nevada a few weeks after I had graduated from the U of MN Law School in May of 1989 and all those memories had been dredged up by that trip.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 04-27-2019 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:12 AM
Sage

[QUOTE=Taltarzac725;1645426]I had wanted to be a law librarian but got kicked out. I had been at annual law librarian convention in 1991 in New Orleans and had also been studying for the Minnesota bar in the evening. Had ordered room service and was in my underwear. Anyway, I went to leave the plate outside my door and the door shut on me. So I went down to the front desk in the hotel where most of the law librarian convention took place. Some of law librarians saw me and one joked "That is not all he has locked himself out of". This was true as I could not break the blacklist put on me.

Did you realize it is a profession of briefs ?
Old 04-27-2019, 09:13 AM
Sage

[QUOTE=rustyp;1645438]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I had wanted to be a law librarian but got kicked out. I had been at annual law librarian convention in 1991 in New Orleans and had also been studying for the Minnesota bar in the evening. Had ordered room service and was in my underwear. Anyway, I went to leave the plate outside my door and the door shut on me. So I went down to the front desk in the hotel where most of the law librarian convention took place. Some of law librarians saw me and one joked "That is not all he has locked himself out of". This was true as I could not break the blacklist put on me.

Did you realize it is a profession of briefs ?
No. It is not. They often use hundreds of words where a few will come in as useful.

Supreme Court Briefs | OSG | Department of Justice

I did get briefs for law students while on the U of MN Law School Library reference desk. Some of these were extremely long. Facts and Case Summary - Miranda v. Arizona | United States Courts

Where to Find Briefs of the Supreme Court of the U.S.

Search - Supreme Court of the United States

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 04-27-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:17 AM
Sage

[QUOTE=Taltarzac725;1645439]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post

No. It is not. They often use hundreds of words where a few will come in as useful.

I did get briefs for law students while on the U of MN Law School Library reference desk. Some of these were extremely long.
Underwear - briefs
Old 04-27-2019, 09:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
LOL - I wanted to play the piano but we could not afford one so my parents chose what they thought was the next best thing ... the accordion. Boy was I bad. Then in high school I started learning the violin. Boy was I bad. After my divorce from my first husband, I bought a piano and started taking lessons. Boy was I bad.

Conclusion: Don't quit your day job!

Old 04-27-2019, 09:25 AM
Sage

[QUOTE=rustyp;1645440]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post

Underwear - briefs
Yes. Underwear are briefs are times. Except in Minnesota in the winters where they are often long Johns.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:31 AM
Sage

[QUOTE=Taltarzac725;1645448]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post

Yes. Underwear are briefs are times. Except in Minnesota in the winters where they are often long Johns.
And I have tried to be quite brief about all this baggage of mine when in Jury Duty pools the six times I have been called. Three of these for Sumter County, FL. I have had to write some pithy e-mails to the Sumter County Clerk of Courts about my experiences with the legal system.

The Federal judge in Ocala in 2009 excused me because I would not go into any detail about much of anything. I was in the pool with two very attractive women sitting to each side of me. Some retired CIA manager was the Jury Foreman. And the case involved the Claremont Police Department.
Closed Thread

Tags
racing, types, successful, dreams, skills

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.