What motivates some posters?

Closed Thread
Old 04-04-2013, 08:28 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I have a feeling Katie has lurked in a lot of forums, like me. She beat me to the punch and is absolutely correct. The trolls inhabit every forum, and the best response is none at all. That's not always easy, and I will admit to replying now and then. But you can't let them get to you, because that's exactly what they want.

Now, like Katie said...enjoy!

By the way, totally off-topic but just for fun, here's a picture of my Katy (different spelling, but what-the-heck): The Villages Florida

Those eyes say I am beautiful and I know it.

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 04-04-2013, 08:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
I'm back.
Hello all ( u all )
Boy Howdy.
It is odd that I see more grumpy grippers on here than my week walkin and talkin in the TV.
Everyone I met was happy and just loved my puppies.
We drank the cool aid together.
Hey Cisco - where you been???
Old 04-04-2013, 08:37 AM
Platinum member

I have been in Florida on a road trip to Stuart to pickup a old car.

Then a week right by TV in Umitilla. I have a sister there.

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 04-04-2013, 09:10 AM

this is why it's fun to read.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:28 AM
Veteran member

I dont even know why this post was started. Except to get people to respond in a negative way. If you dont want negativity dont ask for it. If I am being negative then oh well.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder View Post
.......but I have to admit I also don't like what seems to me to be somewhat arrognant...someone new asks an innocent question and someone else immediately replies with a link. I don't know, I think an answer is better and more friendly than a link, but thats just me.
Hi Mudder!

I do a lot of what you describe, at least in a couple of situations:

- a member posts a question about something that's already been addressed/answered on TOTV in the past, and

- a member posts a question that can be answered with a reply but is also supported further by the info in a link.

I'll post a link/links that should help them get the answer(s) they're looking for, simply as a means to be helpful.

If it does come across as arrogant in my case, I apologize as it's certainly not intended to be that way.

Thanks -
Bill
Old 04-04-2013, 09:34 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Hi Mudder!

- a member posts a question about something that's already been addressed/answered on TOTV in the past, and

- a member posts a question that can be answered with a reply but is also supported further by the info in a link.

I'll post a link/links that should help them get the answer(s) they're looking for, simply as a means to be helpful.

If it does come across as arrogant in my case, I apologize as it's certainly not intended to be that way.

Thanks -
Bill
Bill I like all your help, keep it up.

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 04-04-2013, 09:41 AM
Sage

Up north, we had a "friend" who was this way in real life! ALWAYS wanting to stir the pot!!! His wife is the sweetest person---people gravitate to her. BUT him, think they've lost A LOT of friends due to his behavior.

I think some folks just want the attention. They aren't happy people in the first place, here--they have way too much time on their hands. We not only see bad behavior here---but out and about in T.V. (and elsewhere too).

Yesterday for example, I was driving my golf cart, had to stop for pedestrians and a car behind me laid on his horn. Down the way at a stop-sign he pulls up along side and literally is yelling/hollering (can't understand a word of his bluster) at me. What the heck is wrong with people?? I was only following the law of letting folks walk---it was in a designated pedestrian walkway too.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:44 AM
Sage

Bill:

You are the "King of Links: never to be dethroned.

I always find you links to be helpful. I look at it like, if a long resonse is required, why retype the answer when you can refer to it via link.

Joe

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 04-04-2013, 09:47 AM
Gold member
Default I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
If folks were required to use their real name on the internet instead of remaining anonymous, there'd be a lot less rude and obnoxious postings. Yet, one could still responsibly make a valid negative point without the need to light a flame.
Darn...that's what I did wrong! (does anyone know how to change my screen name??)
Old 04-04-2013, 09:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,369 Times in 2,397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder View Post
...but I have to admit I also don't like what seems to me to be somewhat arrognant...someone new asks an innocent question and someone else immediately replies with a link. I don't know, I think an answer is better and more friendly than a link, but thats just me.
Guess I am guilty as charged. I post a lot of links for people to get information, factful information not just an opinion, or what a friend of a friend told me. Some posters reply with an on and on explanation preceded by a "I don't know or I'm not sure". If you go to the link, you get all the facts..........usually.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Guess I am guilty as charged. I post a lot of links for people to get information, factful information not just an opinion, or what a friend of a friend told me. Some posters reply with an on and on explanation preceded by a "I don't know or I'm not sure". If you go to the link, you get all the facts..........usually.
I think you have helped me out on occasion when I needed some info off this board, and I appreciated those links. Thanks!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-04-2013, 10:13 AM
Veteran member

Often, in the early stages of dementia, frustration is accompanied by anger...leading to unkind outbursts...verbally and via keyboard.
Since it is literally irrational, there is no possible rational response to it. Ignore, walk away.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:17 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Hi Mudder!

Thanks -
Bill
Bill, all the great info you've provided us over the years whether it be via a link or from your general knowledge has been nothing but top notch. Never have I felt any of your responses where arrogant or the old "I told you so" type. We're lucky to have your enthusiasm for this site making it better for us all. A big THANK YOU
Skip 2
Old 04-04-2013, 10:18 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,310 Times in 544 Posts
Default Drive on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I appreciate the "link method" of getting to the "chase" of an issue or question. You guys keep it up! As for me, I've learned a lot more good information than I've given out on TOTV. About the "negative stuff" and motivation of negative posts-----I look at this way-----You could drive a pickup load of money up to some folks house to give them, and they would complain about the model of truck you were driving. Drive on!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.