What motivates some posters?

Closed Thread
Old 04-04-2013, 11:51 AM
Platinum member

Chloe
&
Lulu

Last edited by Cisco Kid; 04-05-2013 at 06:17 AM. Reason: After a read it , it looked like it was wrote by a jerk
Old 04-04-2013, 12:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
All of us have read posts on this forum from posters who always seem to have a chip on their shoulders at best and seem downright mean, hostile, confrontational and almost cruel at worst.

They rarely have an avatar or a clue as to who they are, whether they live here, or why they seem so ANGRY.

In your opinion, what motivates them?

How should we respond?....if at all?

If you try to say anything, they usually say that people are bullies and try to flame them...when in truth is the things they post are so angry making so many times, it is hard to ignore them.

They have NEVER shown up at Crispers when I was there anyway..., and seem to relish their anonymous "jabs".

I am not talking about disagreeing, I am talking about stirring the pot.
Gracie,
I was wondering about Crispers. We've avoided going because we weren't sure if there would be two "camps". We both left behind confrontational jobs with a fair amount of negativity. Someday we'll show up and get to see a bunch of smiling faces.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Hi Mudder!

I do a lot of what you describe, at least in a couple of situations:

- a member posts a question about something that's already been addressed/answered on TOTV in the past, and

- a member posts a question that can be answered with a reply but is also supported further by the info in a link.

I'll post a link/links that should help them get the answer(s) they're looking for, simply as a means to be helpful.

If it does come across as arrogant in my case, I apologize as it's certainly not intended to be that way.

Thanks -
Bill
Bill, Personally, I would rather see a link than a personal interpretation of the info.
Thanks.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:43 PM
Gold member

Bill,
Ummm, I think arrogant was the wrong word to use, I think maybe I meant something like impersonal. I don't know, of course I like the links to the real facts but sometimes people have personal experience to share in reference to a question. Please forget I used that word, way to harsh.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:49 PM
Veteran member

I find it interesting that their are 4 pages of people passing judgement on people that have passed judgement.

Does this posting make me a pot stirring troll?
Old 04-04-2013, 02:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LndLocked View Post
I find it interesting that their are 4 pages of people passing judgement on people that have passed judgement.

You decide, because this thread has been more about suggesting better ways to communicate and not simply passing judgement. It is a fine line, but look closely and one can understand the difference.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder View Post
Bill,
Ummm, I think arrogant was the wrong word to use, I think maybe I meant something like impersonal. I don't know, of course I like the links to the real facts but sometimes people have personal experience to share in reference to a question. Please forget I used that word, way to harsh.
You are such a nice person Mudder.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder View Post
Bill,
I understand what you're saying, Mudder. But sometimes, especially when the topic has been discussed thoroughly on TOTV, it's more convenient to be given a link.

And if it's a topic that requires some reading and explanation, a link is faster. As an example, VG's link to a workaround on Windows 7 & 8 led to a video that explained it so well.

It's nice to get posters' opinions too, though.

And as for trolls--try reading the comments after an NPR article, or after a New York Times article, or any big newspaper. They may start out as comments, but you can reply to them, and they get vicious. We are pussycats compared to a lot of those people. Anonymity really brings out the worst in some people.

And Crispers meets only have nice people!
Old 04-04-2013, 03:02 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by LndLocked View Post

Lndlocked: spot on. In addition may I offer another explanation as to why a member would prefer anonymity. I once wrote an opinion for publication in the local paper citing the dilemma presented when driving a cart behind a very slow riding bicyclist. Lo and behold I received a call from a gentleman who had taken umbrage and called to tell me off. I did manage to get a word in edgewise and when I did was able to explain the article was about the problems confronted with designing multi-modal pathways and not bike riders.

I believe there are many members out there who simply cherish their privacy and do not use their anonymity for evil purposes.

I have noted that some members kill the messenger when the messenger simply spoke the truth. I believe in live and let live. I welcome anyone's opinion promise to work toward understanding them but cannot promise to agree with them.

Longer than I intended to be. sorry
Old 04-04-2013, 03:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I believe there are many members out there who simply cherish their privacy and do not use their anonymity for evil purposes.

I have noted that some members kill the messenger when the messenger simply spoke the truth. I believe in live and let live. I welcome anyone's opinion promise to work toward understanding them but cannot promise to agree with them.

Longer than I intended to be. sorry
I agree. There does seem to be quite a bit of judgement passing, and there are some that are not happy with various actions of the Developer, who, when they express their views, are branded evil. "Love it or leave it", "don't let the door hit you on the way out", and all that nonsense. People who can't give others the opportunity to express their opinion without labeling them in such a way, are not worth bothering with, IMHO. I ignore them.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Sage

LOL. Some will never get it.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Platinum member

Unfortunately, what motivates many of the flamers are politics, religion, money, and an overwhelming necessity to destroy anything or anyone with which they disagree. Some folks just can't stand the thought that they may be wrong and others are right. By the way, this post is not flaming, its simply my attempt to answer the original question.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
Unfortunately, what motivates many of the flamers are politics, religion, money, and an overwhelming necessity to destroy anything or anyone with which they disagree. Some folks just can't stand the thought that they may be wrong and others are right. By the way, this post is not flaming, its simply my attempt to answer the original question.
Your so right and don't forget the OP indicated so correctly that the complainers is a very small minority, but always the same few. We can all find something to complain about if we look hard enough, but some never find anything to complement. The Villages kool aid is my favorite flavor everyday.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
LOL. Some will never get it.
LOL, that's right.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:55 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDoug View Post
I dont even know why this post was started. Except to get people to respond in a negative way. If you dont want negativity dont ask for it. If I am being negative then oh well.
Ha! Good post, DDoug. That's exactly what I was wondering: Why was this negative thread started except to have everyone weeping and crying for their online posting misfortunes. Some people are not satisfied unless everyone agrees with them and if anyone expresses disagreement, well, that person is a no good pot-stirring troll.

We just had a thread on Autism where it was learned that autistic people sometimes say inapropriate things. Could it be that some of these "trolls" have Autism or some other neuro-disability? How would one know? And if we condemn them, are we being intolerant? Just wondering.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.