What motivates some posters?

Closed Thread
Old 04-04-2013, 06:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default What motivates some posters?

All of us have read posts on this forum from posters who always seem to have a chip on their shoulders at best and seem downright mean, hostile, confrontational and almost cruel at worst.

They rarely have an avatar or a clue as to who they are, whether they live here, or why they seem so ANGRY.

In your opinion, what motivates them?

How should we respond?....if at all?

If you try to say anything, they usually say that people are bullies and try to flame them...when in truth is the things they post are so angry making so many times, it is hard to ignore them.

They have NEVER shown up at Crispers when I was there anyway..., and seem to relish their anonymous "jabs".

I am not talking about disagreeing, I am talking about stirring the pot.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:04 AM
Sage

Inferiority complex is the most likely culprit and of course dissatisfaction with ones own life. I have been around long enough to see some folks leave the site completely due to being restricted by Admin and the Monitors from berating other members. It must be a real burden to have a problem with everyone and everything around you. I have the urge to lean negative on occasion, but it is kept in check by my overly positive wife and ADMIN/MONITORS also give me a gentle smack when needed.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
All of us have read posts on this forum from posters who always seem to have a chip on their shoulders at best and seem downright mean, hostile, confrontational and almost cruel at worst.

They rarely have an avatar or a clue as to who they are, whether they live here, or why they seem so ANGRY.

In your opinion, what motivates them?

How should we respond?....if at all?

If you try to say anything, they usually say that people are bullies and try to flame them...when in truth is the things they post are so angry making so many times, it is hard to ignore them.

They have NEVER shown up at Crispers when I was there anyway..., and seem to relish their anonymous "jabs".

I am not talking about disagreeing, I am talking about stirring the pot.
The anonymity of TOTV provides a convenient cover for those with bad intentions and its best to ignore them. Hopefully they will get the message and go away.
Retirement has been a discovery of beauty for me. I never had enough time before to truly appreciate the beauty of my grandchild, my wife, the tree outside my very own front door. And, the beauty of time itself.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:35 AM
Eternal Member

I just think they are so negative and unhappy it bothers them that some people have a very happy life and don't let the little things bother them.

It's like if I don't like a restaurant, I just don't go. I don't have a need to come on here and bash everyone who works at the restaurant. The negative people have the get the pot going & start stirring it.

You know that old saying... Misery loves company !!
Old 04-04-2013, 07:49 AM
Veteran member

EXLAX deficiency!
Old 04-04-2013, 07:57 AM
KatieDidNot
Default Trolls

Every blog out in cyberspace has its trolls. Little creatures who sit in their home and anonymously post hateful stuff and stir things up. They thrive on this stuff. Most likely they have been doing this all their life and they are a bully. Most likely if you met them in person and had a conversation with them, it would be one-sided.

Best thing to do is ignore them, and don't contribute to the post. Trolls hate being ignored and will eventually stop and go away.

On any blog, I really try to live by the old adage, if you don't have anything nice to say....

As a newbie, I read this blog every day and have learned a lot. But, I ignore comments from Trolls.

Trolls suck, their advice sucks, they are Bs, and you can't take it personally.

Now go out and enjoy your day in The Villages.

Cheers-Katie
Old 04-04-2013, 08:01 AM
Sage

Stinkin Thinkin?!?!?!?!

Actually I think it's human nature and if at all possible try to understand some folks just like to stir it up. Gracie, I believe you have enough grace in your heart these posts won't keep you down for long.

And the good news is they are in the minority and we shall persevere.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:01 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Sadly, anonymity brings out the worst in many. It's so easy to be as nasty as you like because no one knows who you are. Every online site has a few. With good moderators, they are usually kept in check. I run a parenting board and you should see some of the attempted flamers there (you flame once, the post is deleted, you're warned; second time you put on automatic approval of any posts; third time you're history).

I don't think these folks are necessarily unhappy with their lives, they just are bored and want to stir things up. For some, they seem to act as if the only way they get any attention is by bad behavior. Personally, I feel sorry for them. Never understood the concept that negative attention is better than no attention. The best thing we can do is ignore them and let the mods handle the dolts.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-04-2013, 08:10 AM
Veteran member

If folks were required to use their real name on the internet instead of remaining anonymous, there'd be a lot less rude and obnoxious postings. Yet, one could still responsibly make a valid negative point without the need to light a flame.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:16 AM

I think there is some of the "Let's stir things up" mentality. But for most of the so-called trolls, I find that what they are really looking for is validation of what they themselves believe.

Last edited by kbace6; 04-04-2013 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Replied to wrong post
Old 04-04-2013, 08:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieDidNot View Post
Every blog out in cyberspace has its trolls. Little creatures who sit in their home and anonymously post hateful stuff and stir things up. They thrive on this stuff. Most likely they have been doing this all their life and they are a bully. Most likely if you met them in person and had a conversation with them, it would be one-sided.

Best thing to do is ignore them, and don't contribute to the post. Trolls hate being ignored and will eventually stop and go away.

On any blog, I really try to live by the old adage, if you don't have anything nice to say....

As a newbie, I read this blog every day and have learned a lot. But, I ignore comments from Trolls.

Trolls suck, their advice sucks, they are Bs, and you can't take it personally.

Now go out and enjoy your day in The Villages.

Cheers-Katie
I have a feeling Katie has lurked in a lot of forums, like me. She beat me to the punch and is absolutely correct. The trolls inhabit every forum, and the best response is none at all. That's not always easy, and I will admit to replying now and then. But you can't let them get to you, because that's exactly what they want.

Now, like Katie said...enjoy!

By the way, totally off-topic but just for fun, here's a picture of my Katy (different spelling, but what-the-heck):

[IMG]The Villages Florida[/IMG]
Old 04-04-2013, 08:21 AM
Gold member

To give those people some maybe undeserved credit, maybe they just like to play devil's advocate, but many of them carry it way to far. What gets me is people who don't live here pointing out all negative things, etc...but I have to admit I also don't like what seems to me to be somewhat arrognant...someone new asks an innocent question and someone else immediately replies with a link. I don't know, I think an answer is better and more friendly than a link, but thats just me.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:24 AM
Sage

I think that some people feel they have lived long enough to be firm in their opinions and have the "my truth is the only truth" and if people disagree with me, then they have rose colored glasses on. Some people like to drag people down to their level ie misery loves company or I raise myself up by putting other people down.

It's like I say to my family, if one wants to have a good time come on along. For those who don't, stay home and be miserable.

I don't get into it with some posters but agree to disagree respectfully. It's just as easy to say, "that's interesting" as oppossed to saying, "that's a load of cr*p".

"I don't let people rent space in my head".

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 04-04-2013, 08:26 AM
Platinum member

I'm back.
Hello all ( u all )
Boy Howdy.
It is odd that I see more grumpy grippers on here than my week walkin and talkin in the TV.
Everyone I met was happy and just loved my puppies.
We drank the cool aid together.

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 04-04-2013, 08:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts
Default Good story on trolls and their motivations.

Why People Troll and How to Stop Them

I have a lot of experience with trolls having been the target of one particularly vicious one on Findlaw's message boards for about five years (2000-2005). That's when there were not that many controls put on some message boards. I do not really see the Wild Wild West kind of environment online anymore.

The best approach as many have advised is to ignore them.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.