What A Sensible Move

Closed Thread
Old 12-10-2017, 04:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiefox10 View Post
It also means that people who do not live in The Villages, but live in Sumter County, have no say in what goes on in Sumter County .

We live in a "bubble" and all we see is what we are allowed to see. So if there is a need outside our bubble, it will not get addressed because.... well.... we live in a bubble and One Sumter.

But some people are content to put their heads in the sand, and who cares about anyone else in the county...

Right????
I disagree. You make some very general statements.
If you take a look at the adopted Sumter County Budget, there are projects all over the county being addressed. Not just as you say "in the bubble".
Would like to hear from you after you have read all of the budget document.
Budget Resources | Sumter County, FL - Official Website
Old 12-10-2017, 05:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiefox10 View Post
It also means that people who do not live in The Villages, but live in Sumter County, have no say in what goes on in Sumter County .

We live in a "bubble" and all we see is what we are allowed to see. So if there is a need outside our bubble, it will not get addressed because.... well.... we live in a bubble and One Sumter.

But some people are content to put their heads in the sand, and who cares about anyone else in the county...

Right????
We may live in a bubble....but that is and has been for all of us a choice.

"...see what we are allowed to see..." ? There is no such environment here or anywhere else in the free world where people only "...see what they are allowed to see...".

It just so happens the majority are content with what they bought into and what it is and has become.

Perfect? No. Better than most? Yes.

The minority will always have something to complain about or profess what is not to their liking. And that is fine. That is what freedom is all about...eh!
Old 12-10-2017, 05:24 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

I don’t believe that the Florida legislators never envisioned a city the size of the Villages when they created the concept of CDDs to help local developers. I believe we are approaching a size that will require changes in governance and what the city can and can’t do. Not for us to decide as it will require changes made by the State of Florida legislators to CDD rules and regulations.

As an example, current CDD regulations call for local counties to provide disaster service to The Villages. The Villages is not allowed to control this and several other services that are commonly handled by a city government. It's not the growth, it's the structure of government and what is allowed that I believe may need to be changed because of size.

We are unique as no other CDD/CDDS comes close to our current or projected size. A few adjustments have been made such as allowing the towing of cars in some instances. Will our future size demand more changes? I am very interested to hear our Fl State Rep Don Hahnfeldt speak at the VHA general meeting this coming Wednesday, December 13th at Lake Miona Rec Center 7 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

I'm just glad the IRS didn't get more of our money from the law suit that got shelved. The next big money grab will be the removal of the evasive non native weeds in the preserve area. Dud how can it be non native? Somebody sneak in and plant the weeds. Otherwise if nature dropped them, they are now native IMO. Then, there the never ending study by that law firm that seems to be on village welfare.?
Old 12-10-2017, 06:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Please let it be noted that the above is an opinion piece.

My opinion is that The Villages is run far better as a CDD than it would with input from all of the people who would like to run it who have never been involved in Civic Government. Then we would all be using the word "MESS" a lot.

CDD forever as far as I am concerned. I don't want the inmates running the asylum. We have seen how that works by just looking at other areas the same size run in the "ordinary" way.
Not to worry you probably live in one of the CDD safe zones that exempt from district (like the Chatham oaks house farms will be, use all of districts facilities, but contributes nothing to district. I would think anything north of 466a would be CDD due to the recent 1/2 billion sale so to CDDs?
Old 12-10-2017, 07:12 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,084 Times in 367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
This is not a complaint its an observational fact
Not an observational fact but "an opinion".
Old 12-10-2017, 08:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
This is an interesting article on the history of One Sumter, at least until August 2004. ONE SUMTER ONE HOT ISSUE - News - Ocala.com - Ocala, FL

Andrew Blechman, if I recall correctly, also addressed this issue in his book "Leisureville".

Sumter County was indeed not only a financially very poor county prior to The Villages being developed, it was sparsely populated and mostly rural.

I view the current population disbursement as somewhat akin to NYC and the rest of New York State. Would the whole of New York State like to be run solely by candidates dedicated primarily to benefitting NYC?

Of course one could argue NYC is not controlled by a single large real estate development business; perhaps Wall Street, though...anyway, it now is what it is.
Fortunately those who have not moved here still have the option to buy somewhere else.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:25 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,772 Times in 512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
In all due respect, that was a given. Some of us moved away in part because we wanted to get way from big city living, crowds, traffic, etc. It seems however big city living is being foisted upon us and we don't even get to vote on it.

Cést' la vie
In all due respect, what other businesses allow you to vote on their plans?
Old 12-10-2017, 08:37 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,749 Posts

Quote:
Fortunately those who have not moved here still have the option to buy somewhere else.
Which obviously keeps me objective since I have not overly imbibed in the Kool-Aid nor am I pandering on behalf of the developer.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-10-2017, 08:44 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Which obviously keeps me objective since I have not overly imbibed in the Kool-Aid nor am I pandering on behalf of the developer.
I think not.

ob·jec·tiv·i·ty
ˌäbjekˈtivədē/
the quality of being objective.
"the piece lacked any objectivity"
synonyms: impartiality, absence/lack of bias, absence/lack of prejudice, fairness, fair-mindedness, neutrality, evenhandedness, justice, open-mindedness, disinterest, detachment, dispassion, neutrality
Old 12-10-2017, 09:24 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,084 Times in 367 Posts

I actually think that if you don't like where you are , you should obviously be somewhere else. I was, I am.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Please let it be noted that the above is an opinion piece.

My opinion is that The Villages is run far better as a CDD than it would with input from all of the people who would like to run it who have never been involved in Civic Government. Then we would all be using the word "MESS" a lot.

CDD forever as far as I am concerned. I don't want the inmates running the asylum. We have seen how that works by just looking at other areas the same size run in the "ordinary" way.
Please note the above is an opinion piece.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-10-2017, 09:52 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Please note the above is an opinion piece.
As is yours.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
As is yours.
and yours...

Old 12-10-2017, 10:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
I think not.

ob·jec·tiv·i·ty
ˌäbjekˈtivədē/
the quality of being objective.
"the piece lacked any objectivity"
synonyms: impartiality, absence/lack of bias, absence/lack of prejudice, fairness, fair-mindedness, neutrality, evenhandedness, justice, open-mindedness, disinterest, detachment, dispassion, neutrality
I think yes! I have no dog in this fight...and remain objective, especially in contrast to those who have a vested interest of one kind or another.

Last edited by manaboutown; 12-10-2017 at 10:52 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
sumter, county, growth, pay, infrastructure

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.