What A Sensible Move

Closed Thread
Old 12-11-2017, 05:02 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
I don’t believe that the Florida legislators never envisioned a city the size of the Villages when they created the concept of CDDs to help local developers. I believe we are approaching a size that will require changes in governance and what the city can and can’t do. Not for us to decide as it will require changes made by the State of Florida legislators to CDD rules and regulations.

As an example, current CDD regulations call for local counties to provide disaster service to The Villages. The Villages is not allowed to control this and several other services that are commonly handled by a city government. It's not the growth, it's the structure of government and what is allowed that I believe may need to be changed because of size.

We are unique as no other CDD/CDDS comes close to our current or projected size. A few adjustments have been made such as allowing the towing of cars in some instances. Will our future size demand more changes? I am very interested to hear our Fl State Rep Don Hahnfeldt speak at the VHA general meeting this coming Wednesday, December 13th at Lake Miona Rec Center 7 PM.
Don Hahnfeldt is a Morse sycophant... look back at his history starting as the VHA president to the Villages Healthcare.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:22 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
CFrance when this issue came up for possible repeal it was promoted as Sumter One. a no vote meant you wanted a separation of commissioners so that there was not even an appearance of.................. In that my views leaned egalitarian.

the Developer's presence was overwhelming and well placed outside polling stations and across TV.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:46 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Well before the Morses arrived here Sumter was one of the three poorest counties in Florida with the comparable low employment.

It all depends on what a person WANTS from a county.

Like..changing the animal shelter.

Florida Poverty Rate by County
GG in all due respect the Morses and their sycophants benefited most and like all corporations the cost of doing business was transferred to customers (homeowners).
The IRS bond issue revealed clearly that the Developer made extraordinary profits by selling back to District facilities and amenity fee income based on the Developer's appraisers, accountants, etc. and the Developer made it clear what % of profit would be had from each home unit they built and if my sources are correct it was enormous

In a manner of speaking residents ought to pat themselves on the back for what The Villages is today

But my original post was not about the Developer it was about responsible government. They keep building and yet claim that we need to conserve on water, etc. Yet we have no voice short of TOTV and the other local internet publication to express our concern.

Eventually the highway systems here will need to be expanded and beside cost the inconvenience is going to be enormous. some of us didn't want to live along Highway 19. Once the population stops growing then taxes income will level off but expenses increase and with this means tax increases

People are already living a top one another and yet they continue to build. I can't imagine anyway saying "oh how great" the store, restaurant golf courses is overcrowded.

Osceola at least had the decency to pause and consider how this was affecting county residents.

you speak of what the county wants....checkout the arrangement between the Sumter County School District and the Charter Schools and you will get an answer as to what county wants

Personal Best Regards:
Old 12-11-2017, 06:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
In all due respect, that was a given. Some of us moved away in part because we wanted to get way from big city living, crowds, traffic, etc. It seems however big city living is being foisted upon us and we don't even get to vote on it.

Cést' la vie
I cannot agree with you that living in TV or even the general area, is tantamount to "big city living."
Big city living offers many educational and cultural opportunities. Need I say more?

Many TV residents moved here because of what the "crowds" offer, i.e., the squares. golf, pools, clubs, etc.
The traffic is only heavy during season and within TV itself.

Other than the above, which certainly could never be classified as "big city living," living here is more like living among the country bumpkins of central Florida.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
I cannot agree with you that living in TV or even the general area, is tantamount to "big city living."
Big city living offers many educational and cultural opportunities. Need I say more?

Many TV residents moved here because of what the "crowds" offer, i.e., the squares. golf, pools, clubs, etc.

Other than the above, which certainly could never be classified as "big city living," living here is more like living among the country bumpkins of central Florida.
Remember this, none of us here have been forced to live here....choices were made and those choices brought people here. Country bumpkins? Well, some might just find that phrase insulting, implying the person saying it, is an elitist. As individuals, we are no better than another and another is no better than we are. No one here is a tree, they can pick up and move. Whether we like it or not, life moves forward, more want what many of us here enjoy. Communities are going to grow. As they grow, more and more becomes available....shops, restaurants, educational opportunities, entertainment.

I chose to live here, I love it. Moved from southern CA where many of what you imply is missing here, was plentiful. Funny, I don’t feel deprived...lots of the same things available nearby.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:34 AM
Sage
Default My post

I just came back to view the conversation.

It seems my post was VERY misunderstood.

Since my comment wasn't important, I am not going to try to explain.

I just find it interesting that everyone read it from their own "perspective". From where their mind was. I probably did the same when I read the first post.

Interesting take on the original post.

And... Maybe, I don't understand One Sumter. It's possible.

Everyone have a GREAT day!
Old 12-11-2017, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
GG in all due respect the Morses and their sycophants benefited most and like all corporations the cost of doing business was transferred to customers (homeowners).
The IRS bond issue revealed clearly that the Developer made extraordinary profits by selling back to District facilities and amenity fee income based on the Developer's appraisers, accountants, etc. and the Developer made it clear what % of profit would be had from each home unit they built and if my sources are correct it was enormous

In a manner of speaking residents ought to pat themselves on the back for what The Villages is today

But my original post was not about the Developer it was about responsible government. They keep building and yet claim that we need to conserve on water, etc. Yet we have no voice short of TOTV and the other local internet publication to express our concern.

Eventually the highway systems here will need to be expanded and beside cost the inconvenience is going to be enormous. some of us didn't want to live along Highway 19. Once the population stops growing then taxes income will level off but expenses increase and with this means tax increases

People are already living a top one another and yet they continue to build. I can't imagine anyway saying "oh how great" the store, restaurant golf courses is overcrowded.

Osceola at least had the decency to pause and consider how this was affecting county residents.

you speak of what the county wants....checkout the arrangement between the Sumter County School District and the Charter Schools and you will get an answer as to what county wants

Personal Best Regards:

I personally like that a private business can achieve what big government cannot. I personally like that a charter school can offer what most school systems in Florida cannot. I have noted that the builder continues to add rec centers and golf courses as they build. And new businesses are attracted to this area now more than they were before because we are bigger and demographers are finally noticing that we are here. The tax payers will become a bigger bunch too and will share the burden of any repairs and additions. Making a profit is how business works and it also allows business to employ people which to me is a very good thing.

SOMEONE is going to build here. I would prefer it is of the quality and have the regulations we now enjoy and that it continues to be an age restricted area.

Check again the map I posted that shows we have the lowest unemployment of any county in the state. Before the Morses came, Sumter was one of the poorest counties with the lowest employment.

A rising tide lifts all ships.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
Remember this, none of us here have been forced to live here....choices were made and those choices brought people here. Country bumpkins? Well, some might just find that phrase insulting, implying the person saying it, is an elitist. As individuals, we are no better than another and another is no better than we are. No one here is a tree, they can pick up and move. Whether we like it or not, life moves forward, more want what many of us here enjoy. Communities are going to grow. As they grow, more and more becomes available....shops, restaurants, educational opportunities, entertainment.

I chose to live here, I love it. Moved from southern CA where many of what you imply is missing here, was plentiful. Funny, I don’t feel deprived...lots of the same things available nearby.
And for many people, that choice was based on a lie about "buildout".
Old 12-11-2017, 08:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
And for many people, that choice was based on a lie about "buildout".
Things change....always, no matter where you live. The community is set up like littlemtowns, your village isn’t generally congested. Your home, though not surrounded by acres of unspoiled land, is quiet.

There is vacant land...and someone is going to build. Personally I’ve seen what happens to developments built, not maintained. developer has grand ideas, BUT they never quite worked out and suddenly, an eyesore and nothing can be done about it. Where I lived, multiple developers went gun ho building and building....the hodge podge became a living nightmare...inadequate roads, especially for firefighters...CA is prone to horrific fires....lack of necessary schools, and so on. Personally, I’d prefer a known developer with an outstanding history of experience.

Looking for a small, picturesque little community, may no longer be something many will find. More and more are retiring, moving from where they lived to where the climate may be easier for them. They’re going to come and they need a place to live.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Quote:

Are you responding to my post (above yours right here)?
If so, it's obvious you either misread what I wrote or missed my point, or ???

I didn't say that anyone was forced to live here or anything even close to that.
I didn't say that anyone was "deprived."
What I did say was that TV "ain't no big city!"
Country bumpkins? Just an expression and not derogatory, but one would have to admit that TV is located smack dab in the middle of a country area.
Even the outlying roads indicate this (narrow roads, most of which are in need of repaving and without shoulders).

I mentioned nothing about being "deprived" so where did that come from?
I did not put down TV in any of my verbiage.

What I did say was that to compare TV to "big city living" is simply absurd, under any circumstances.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Things change....always, no matter where you live. The community is set up like littlemtowns, your village isn’t generally congested. Your home, though not surrounded by acres of unspoiled land, is quiet.

There is vacant land...and someone is going to build. Personally I’ve seen what happens to developments built, not maintained. developer has grand ideas, BUT they never quite worked out and suddenly, an eyesore and nothing can be done about it. Where I lived, multiple developers went gun ho building and building....the hodge podge became a living nightmare...inadequate roads, especially for firefighters...CA is prone to horrific fires....lack of necessary schools, and so on. Personally, I’d prefer a known developer with an outstanding history of experience.

Looking for a small, picturesque little community, may no longer be something many will find. More and more are retiring, moving from where they lived to where the climate may be easier for them. They’re going to come and they need a place to live.
Yes, things change. That's what made it such an egregious lie, every time things changed. They knew after the first time they said it, and it "changed" into a lie that they shouldn't have kept on repeating the lie for years. Since things "change", and all.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Are you responding to my post (above yours right here)?
If so, it's obvious you either misread what I wrote or missed my point, or ???

I didn't say that anyone was forced to live here or anything even close to that.
I didn't say that anyone was "deprived."
What I did say was that TV "ain't no big city!"
Country bumpkins? Just an expression and not derogatory, but one would have to admit that TV is located smack dab in the middle of a country area.
Even the outlying roads indicate this (narrow roads, most of which are in need of repaving and without shoulders).

I mentioned nothing about being "deprived" so where did that come from?
I did not put down TV in any of my verbiage.

What I did say was that to compare TV to "big city living" is simply absurd, under any circumstances.
Urban Dictionary: country bumpkin
Old 12-11-2017, 09:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I think yes! I have no dog in this fight...and remain objective, especially in contrast to those who have a vested interest of one kind or another.
He who has not tasted the water, should not comment on its taste..............................
Old 12-11-2017, 10:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
Yes, things change. That's what made it such an egregious lie, every time things changed. They knew after the first time they said it, and it "changed" into a lie that they shouldn't have kept on repeating the lie for years. Since things "change", and all.
At one point, could be it was going to be completed....BUT more land became available and why should an opportunity be missed. If it is STILL being parroted then it should stop. People managed to have a career, trade, run a business and made it this far....they should know that what was/might be still said, isn’t necessarily how it will be.

Personally, I prefer the developer continue on...you might not, others might not, but I do.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:47 AM

in my humble opinion, unless you moved here to Orange Blossom Hills and purchased your mobile home directly from Mr. Morse, you have no authority to claim The Villages have gotten too large. After all, you would be considered part of that problem from the original Villagers' perspective. Perhaps they wanted the door closed before you arrived?
Closed Thread

Tags
sumter, county, growth, pay, infrastructure

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.