Xfinity using wifi?

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2015, 03:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts
Default Xfinity using wifi?

I have comcast and am able to use wifi to view programming on my iPad and iPhone.
Does that mean I could do the same with a "smart" television that is wifi ready?
Old 03-16-2015, 04:15 PM
Default Wi-Fi on "Smart" TV's

Quote by billethkid: I have comcast and am able to use wifi to view programming on my iPad and iPhone.
Does that mean I could do the same with a "smart" television that is wifi ready?

btk - Aren't you already getting your Comcast signal to your TV thru a Xfinity set-top box of some sort? Our "smart" TV uses our home Comcast wi-fi network to pick up the Internet to use apps that came with the TV like Netflix, Weather, Facebook, Twitter, News, Sports, etc. The TV we watch comes straight thru the Xfinity box connected to the TV directly.

I think what you're talking about is the Xfinity TV Go app that you can install on a phone or tablet (Apple/Android) to watch live TV (streaming) or download content to watch offline at another time (i.e., while on a plane) when not on wi-fi or 3/4G cellular. For a regular TV to be able to do this, it would have to be able to act as a computer and download the Xfinity TV Go app. I haven't seen any that do that......but there might be some out there, don't know. Good luck!!
Old 03-16-2015, 04:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I have comcast and am able to use wifi to view programming on my iPad and iPhone.
I don't think "smart" TVs are that smart - usually limited to very few websites. Better off plugging a computer into a normal TV.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

I am trying to see if Comcast has anything like Direct TV.

They have their product called Genie which is the main box say in the family room.

Then they have what they call (I think) mini Genies....a small box that a television is connected to and receives the programming wirelessly.

Ideal for those of us who do not have a cable jack on the patio/lanai or elsewhere and allows a wireless reception.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Depends. The TV needs a browser that you log into xnfinity with on the internet. Then you need to run the show. This may require flash or other software. Will your TV let you download software like your PC does? Probably not. Try the above and see it it works.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
I don't think "smart" TVs are that smart - usually limited to very few websites. Better off plugging a computer into a normal TV.
Depends on which model manufacturer. We have Samsung UHD smart TV and can log into websites.

Watched The Mummers Parade that way.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.