Why do some people get sooooo upset........

Closed Thread
Old 01-15-2008, 01:58 AM
Sage
Default Why do some people get sooooo upset........

I dont understand why some people get so upset when a bit of humor is injected into an otherwise serious post.

It only takes a second to scroll past the silliness if your not interested.

Please lighten up people, remember ,this is"The Villages", the land of cheerful, happy people! ;D

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:06 AM
Default Re: Why do some people get sooooo upset........

People only read what they want to read, hear what they want to hear and see what they want to see.

Unfortunately some people can't comprehend anything I wrote above.

:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:
Old 01-15-2008, 01:36 PM
Veteran member

It's the lack of visual or eye contact. We're not seeing people's expressions. They could be writing with a smile or an eyebrow raised. How do we know. And it's much easier to vent or throw stones at a faceless person who you will most likely never meet.

If I told you how many times people took what I wrote out of context and made more of it than it was intended; I would probably be banished to some remote island (hopefully a warm island).

Do you agree? It's the lack of visual that's lacking so people can take words and just twist them away from their original intent.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Noni
Absolutely agree with you. Unfortunately alot of people have opinions...very deep rooted opinions on topics much broader than the dreaded subects of sex, religion, and politics. As others have said when you are together with people and have visual contact or some social relationship (neighbors or friends of neighbors, golf buddies or club members etc.), I believe social graces dictate most and I emphasize "most...not all" try and avoid conflict or even bring up a subject where conflict may arise.. On a discussion board such as this where names, never mind faces are unknown to other board participants, social graces are just not a consideration because there is no face-to face feedback and you dont really know if you are or who you are upsetting. Discussion boards are a perfect environment for people that are opinionated and strong willed and not open minded and believe it or not, many of these same people probably say very little in a public setting.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:48 PM

Maybe we can do our visuals at the luncheon Friday ;D :joke:
Old 01-15-2008, 03:30 PM
Sage

Thankyou all for your comments and opinions. It certainly did shed new light on the subject for me, and there is probably a great deal of truth to what your saying but heres the kicker,. I am very sensitive to peoples comments and I believe that I definitely know when someone is being nasty despite the fact that I cant see them.

So.... I would like to make an announcement uhummm, that I am a kidder and a jokester most of the time and I am very sorry if I offended anyone on this board, It was not my intention.In the future I will be extremely careful about which posts I comment on.

I still maintain that being pleasant and upbeat (no matter what the subject) is the best way to go.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:44 PM
Sage

Hi Nonie - Did i miss something? Did someone take offense to one of your posts? I certainly hope it wasn't me. As you can tell most of my pokes are made in fun, I think. Unless, of course, someone is being totally off base. Then i may question the post a little more seriously.

Russ
Old 01-15-2008, 03:55 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Online interactions are strange breeds. What is funny to one is hurtful to another. If you see the person's face when you start to say something, you know to stop because it is being taken wrong. Unfortunately, you can't online.

Also, there are just times that humor isn't appreciated. Sometimes it is needed to diffuse a situation. I try to treat threads much like a business party. If I wouldn't say it in front of a client, I try not to say it to an online group. If I would say something funny on the subject at the party, I'll say it here. If not, I'll keep the joke to myself or send it to a friend via a PM. It's a safe rule of thumb.

As to you, my dear, most of us know you and know you're kidding. We love your comments. Don't take someone's growl personally. We all have bad days.

HUGS

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,647 Times in 589 Posts

I've read that only 7% of communication comes across in the written word.
The remaining 93% is voice tone and body language, both of which don't translate online.

That's part of it.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:09 PM
Sage

Thanks Red,

I guess there is such a thing as being overly sensitive, of which I am probably guilty of. you are always so
great at straightening out my thinking. Hugs back!

Bad Days? what are those? :

Old 01-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Nonie...lighten up (on yourself) you are doing a fine job commnuicating. Now if you want to talk about "clam chouder" thats another thing!!
Old 01-15-2008, 07:17 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline
Noni
Discussion boards are a perfect environment for people that are opinionated and strong willed and not open minded and believe it or not, many of these same people probably say very little in a public setting.
I am quite open-minded but otherwise you have me pegged. I am something of a milquetoast in social settings. Look at the mouse that roared with going on 1100 posts on TOTV.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:31 AM
Sage

Caroline,

Clam chowder hu? Promise Ill make you a big pot when I get down to TV, At least I know I can do that right! :

Old 01-16-2008, 01:24 AM
Dancing Thyme

Am I invited too, just leave out the clams...

Kath

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 01-16-2008, 01:37 AM
Gold member

Hey Nonie, where are you getting the clams for the chowda! Can't make a good one unless the clams are right off the flats!! We can trade recipe's.

Be kinder to yourself, I have found nothing offensive or hurtful on any of your posts. : :

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.