tankless water heaters

Closed Thread
Old 02-17-2010, 04:25 PM
Veteran member
Location: Indiana,the Villages,Port Charlotte fl ,Summerfield fl, The villages again
Default tankless water heaters

Has anyone replaced an electric hot water tank with a tankless model here at TV ?
Ours is 16 years old and we are thinking of having one installed in the near future.
Lowes has them at $488.....not much more then a regular water heater. I have heard that the circuit breaker box might have to be changed in order to provide the needed power.
So a plumber and an electrician would be needed for the installation.
I am curious as to the total installation cost and the actual savings on the electric bill.

Last edited by otherbruddaDarrell; 02-17-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I did not know they made an electric tankless water heater....gn
Old 02-17-2010, 04:41 PM
Veteran member
Location: Indiana,the Villages,Port Charlotte fl ,Summerfield fl, The villages again

GN, yes they have electric. That is why I am interested in the savings. That old hot water tank uses a lot of electricity to keep the water hot even when we are not using it.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:55 PM
Veteran member

There are numerous posts on this subject elsewhere in this forum.
I'm going to be needing to replace my 15 year old electric water heater soon.
I have done some reading.
My fear, and others from what I've read, is the availability of realiable service & parts should a problem occur with a 'tankless'.
That being said, my master bath is 10 feet from the water heater and never a problem.
My kitchen sink is at least 40 feet from the water heater.
The previous owner installed a small 1 gallon electric water heater under the kitchen sink and it provides enough hot water instantly for our needs. If it does run out of hot water, we have to wait a minute or so for the hot water from the garage.
I would replace or repair the small heater immediately should anything ever happen to it.
I think when the time comes for the whole house heater I will just go with a off the shelf electric tank water heater as they are relatively cheap and reliable.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 02-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Gold member
Default Senior Moment

When I first glanced at the title of this thread, I thought it said "Thankless Water Heaters". Time for my nap!
Old 02-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Veteran member

We also have been thinking seriously about going tankless -- both in TV and at our summer cottage. If electric is a problem, is propane an option? I haven't been able to find anyone who knows anything about this.

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 02-18-2010, 09:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I'm sure propane is an option...gn

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.