What's your favorite Thanksgiving prayer?

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2013, 04:05 PM
Veteran member
Default What's your favorite Thanksgiving prayer?

One of the posters said the hymn Harvest Home was a great prayer at Thanksgiving. It is but it's long. What are some of your favorite ones, perhaps shorter?
Old 11-25-2013, 08:53 AM

Unrehearsed, impromptu and from the heart
Old 11-25-2013, 01:06 PM
Sage

Lincoln's words get to the heart of what we in this nation have to be thankful for......

Clearly he believed we are one nation "under God".

By the President of the United States of America.

A Proclamation.

The year that is drawing towards its close, has been filled with the blessings of fruitful fields and healthful skies. To these bounties, which are so constantly enjoyed that we are prone to forget the source from which they come, others have been added, which are of so extraordinary a nature, that they cannot fail to penetrate and soften even the heart which is habitually insensible to the ever watchful providence of Almighty God.

In the midst of a civil war of unequaled magnitude and severity, which has sometimes seemed to foreign States to invite and to provoke their aggression, peace has been preserved with all nations, order has been maintained, the laws have been respected and obeyed, and harmony has prevailed everywhere except in the theatre of military conflict; while that theatre has been greatly contracted by the advancing armies and navies of the Union.

Needful diversions of wealth and of strength from the fields of peaceful industry to the national defence, have not arrested the plough, the shuttle or the ship; the axe has enlarged the borders of our settlements, and the mines, as well of iron and coal as of the precious metals, have yielded even more abundantly than heretofore. Population has steadily increased, notwithstanding the waste that has been made in the camp, the siege and the battle-field; and the country, rejoicing in the consiousness of augmented strength and vigor, is permitted to expect continuance of years with large increase of freedom.

No human counsel hath devised nor hath any mortal hand worked out these great things. They are the gracious gifts of the Most High God, who, while dealing with us in anger for our sins, hath nevertheless remembered mercy.

It has seemed to me fit and proper that they should be solemnly, reverently and gratefully acknowledged as with one heart and one voice by the whole American People. I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens.

And I recommend to them that while offering up the ascriptions justly due to Him for such singular deliverances and blessings, they do also, with humble penitence for our national perverseness and disobedience, commend to His tender care all those who have become widows, orphans, mourners or sufferers in the lamentable civil strife in which we are unavoidably engaged, and fervently implore the interposition of the Almighty Hand to heal the wounds of the nation and to restore it as soon as may be consistent with the Divine purposes to the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquillity and Union.

In testimony whereof, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Seal of the United States to be affixed.

Done at the City of Washington, this Third day of October, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-three, and of the Independence of the Unites States the Eighty-eighth.

By the President: Abraham Lincoln

Thanksgiving Proclamation by Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-25-2013, 02:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
Lincoln's words get to the heart of what we in this nation have to be thankful for......

Clearly he believed we are one nation "under God".

By the President of the United States of America.

A Proclamation.

The year that is drawing towards its close, has been filled with the blessings of fruitful fields and healthful skies. To these bounties, which are so constantly enjoyed that we are prone to forget the source from which they come, others have been added, which are of so extraordinary a nature, that they cannot fail to penetrate and soften even the heart which is habitually insensible to the ever watchful providence of Almighty God.

In the midst of a civil war of unequaled magnitude and severity, which has sometimes seemed to foreign States to invite and to provoke their aggression, peace has been preserved with all nations, order has been maintained, the laws have been respected and obeyed, and harmony has prevailed everywhere except in the theatre of military conflict; while that theatre has been greatly contracted by the advancing armies and navies of the Union.

Needful diversions of wealth and of strength from the fields of peaceful industry to the national defence, have not arrested the plough, the shuttle or the ship; the axe has enlarged the borders of our settlements, and the mines, as well of iron and coal as of the precious metals, have yielded even more abundantly than heretofore. Population has steadily increased, notwithstanding the waste that has been made in the camp, the siege and the battle-field; and the country, rejoicing in the consiousness of augmented strength and vigor, is permitted to expect continuance of years with large increase of freedom.

No human counsel hath devised nor hath any mortal hand worked out these great things. They are the gracious gifts of the Most High God, who, while dealing with us in anger for our sins, hath nevertheless remembered mercy.

It has seemed to me fit and proper that they should be solemnly, reverently and gratefully acknowledged as with one heart and one voice by the whole American People. I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens.

And I recommend to them that while offering up the ascriptions justly due to Him for such singular deliverances and blessings, they do also, with humble penitence for our national perverseness and disobedience, commend to His tender care all those who have become widows, orphans, mourners or sufferers in the lamentable civil strife in which we are unavoidably engaged, and fervently implore the interposition of the Almighty Hand to heal the wounds of the nation and to restore it as soon as may be consistent with the Divine purposes to the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquillity and Union.

In testimony whereof, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Seal of the United States to be affixed.

Done at the City of Washington, this Third day of October, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-three, and of the Independence of the Unites States the Eighty-eighth.

By the President: Abraham Lincoln

Thanksgiving Proclamation by Abraham Lincoln
Very nice indeed and I don't EVER recall reading it before. YOU are much more than just another pretty face, Ilovetv, or just another smart person.

When you type, I listen.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:08 PM

We Gather Together (Thanksgiving Song)"

We gather together to ask the lord's blessing
For turkey and dressing and cranberry sauce.
It was slightly distressing but now we're convalescing
So sing praises to his name and forget not to floss.
Our nearest and dearest we don't want confessing
It's sort of depressing to have them so near.
Our feelings supressing for lightly acquiescing
And perfectly professing we're glad they were here.
We gathered together and got the lord's blessing
Of course we're just guessing 'cause how can you tell?
Our stomach's are bloating,
Our kidneys nearly floating,
Hellos are very nice but goodbyes can be swell.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:26 PM
Sage

The one Jimmy Stewart did in the movie "Shenandoah" He promised his wife before she died that he would give a prayer to his large family. What he said was basically we fought the indians, cleared the land, tilled the soil, planted the crops and harvested them and if we didn't do all this we wouldn't have this food but thank you lord just the same.
Old 11-25-2013, 04:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyGirl View Post

I LOVE it!!!
Old 11-27-2013, 05:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandyGirl View Post

Love it. Just love it. Thanks for sharing. The kids would LOVE to sing that....especially the 12 year old boy.

I'm very glad that our snow has turned to all rain and will stay that way as temps have risen. Our family will be able to travel in just rain; their snow ended early a.m. and all of our snow will not commence again until later this evening when everybody is already here, enjoying a log thrown on the fire and a pre Thanksgiving buffet supper.

Safe travels to all who have to be out and about.....plus their families if traveling to Florida.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:54 AM
Platinum member

Our granddaughter says the Come Lord Jesus one then she prays:

Rub a dub dub
thanks for the grub
Yea God!

That which does not destroy you, makes you stronger- Nietzsche
Old 11-27-2013, 07:25 AM
Veteran member

Bless the meat
Damn the skin
Open your kisser and cram it in

Think I heard this on All in the Family

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.