When you retired,

Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2020, 10:07 PM
Default When you retired,

did your replacement ask for your phone number in case they needed to contact you with questions about the job?

If not, would you have given them your number?
Old 05-27-2020, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyBoy56 View Post
did your replacement ask for your phone number in case they needed to contact you with questions about the job?

If not, would you have given them your number?
The company I left started calling me 6 months later asking me to come out of retirement. I never returned their calls. On a job site I ran into the very person who was a primary reason for me leaving and I had started working for another company. The look on his face was priceless. His head was always so far up the service manager's butt. When I left he started doing jobs he never had to since 3 others left after me and he was miserable. Too bad!
Old 05-28-2020, 01:24 AM
Veteran member

The company I worked for was sold and the new management outsourced my entire department. I had no loyalty to the new regime, but my former co-workers would email me sometimes and I was happy to answer their questions. Two years on and they've all left now, too.

Am I happy to see that the company has lost 40% of its customers to new competitors? Hm. Let's say I'm not unhappy.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:33 AM
Gold member

Two months after I retired the company I worked for closed its doors.
I like to think it was because of my departure! LOL
Old 05-28-2020, 06:06 AM
Platinum member
Default no

owner died and I left after the wife ran the company into the ground to reduce debt so she could close without a lot of financial cost. still in contact with my direct boss who suffered tremendously. I would probably have helped her but nobody else.
Old 05-28-2020, 06:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

a year after my wife decided to retire from her former company (with a very nice package) they reached out to her...they asked her to 'name her price and come back for six months'....so she did, and four years later she retired again, LOL. It was all good, she was able to work remotely, make her own hours, no business travel required and it never interfered with what we wanted to do
Old 05-28-2020, 07:36 AM

I worked in IT for the same company for over 30 years and made a clean break. My wife was in the same field worked for about 8 at hers. She was still taking calls 2 years later. I guess we know who the valuable one was.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:56 AM
Gold member

I retired on good terms with the office staff. Since it was civil service it was just cut ties and leave. (Though friends in the office gave me a round of applause as I left for the last time). Never regretted
Old 05-28-2020, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,027 Times in 5,325 Posts

Company I used to work for treated me extremely well and after I left got calls regularly and always happy to help
Old 05-28-2020, 09:19 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

I worked with a great bunch of people, a small division of a larger department, and they all had my phone number if they had any questions. I had no problems answering their few questions.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:37 AM
Veteran member
Default Retired

I took a buy-out but also was pension eligible. It was that, or relocate again. My job was restructured and the person who replaced me was hired off the street, knowing little about the business. He didn't know me and likely didn't care to. He was gone in a year.
Some of my former staff would contact me on occasion with questions; even asking me to come in as a consultant. Which was nice.

I don't suppose the current generation of professional employees will enjoy the sort of retirement that many of us do. Pensions are gone. Health benefits come from the marketplace, if you can afford them. Employer loyalty is quite thin. And corporate CEOs are getting millions a year with millions more when they screw up and are replaced.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:53 AM
Veteran member

I worked as a consultant for my company on 2 occasions after I retired and also talked with some of the folks "freebie" a couple times to help out. I had been responsible for the way we charged our customers certain fees, which had some complex elements, and it was important that the communication with those cutomers be easy for them to understand, so I helped out with that and a couple other things as well. We were still in VA at the time. We moved here a year later and they called me some time after that to plan and facilitate a customer meeting in Atlantic City but I declined. By then we were heavily involved with musical theater and had just started the Pops Chorus and there was no time in the schedule for this work thing! The company has since been purchased, but the guy who was doing my job (or at least who has my title, some of what I did came from my broad background with the company over 30 years) is still there plugging away.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,027 Times in 5,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
I took a buy-out but also was pension eligible. It was that, or relocate again. My job was restructured and the person who replaced me was hired off the street, knowing little about the business. He didn't know me and likely didn't care to. He was gone in a year.
Some of my former staff would contact me on occasion with questions; even asking me to come in as a consultant. Which was nice.

I don't suppose the current generation of professional employees will enjoy the sort of retirement that many of us do. Pensions are gone. Health benefits come from the marketplace, if you can afford them. Employer loyalty is quite thin. And corporate CEOs are getting millions a year with millions more when they screw up and are replaced.
Company I worked for was a small one offering no pension (just a small match to 401) and had to get my own health care after I left but owners always treated me very well so very happy to help my former coworkers.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:17 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Always delighted to help anyone, and did so dozens of times for more than a year after I retired. Left detailed instructions for my successor and assured her I would help in any way possible.

Tags
number, job, questions, needed, contact

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.