Where / how to sell vintage glasswear, china, silver cutlery, place-settings, etc.?

Closed Thread
Old 02-03-2021, 05:36 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendi View Post
The younger generations want to live more simply and are more practical. No need for all those extra dishes and Knick knacks. It’s just more stuff to dust and clean.
So true. I'm gonna keep my pristine Barbie dolls and play dress up with them myself! Your comments are right!

Last edited by Debfrommaine; 02-03-2021 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:14 AM
Default Selling inherited items

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj1040 View Post
Sadly it is not worth much...we sold several sets of brand name svc for 8 or 10 fine China at an estate sale with bidding for $100 or less. You can try craigslist or the Villages sale website or a consignment shop but most won't even take China. Ebay is very expensive and tricky for shipping...any breakage would be a big issue.
You did quite well if you were able to get anywhere near $100. My experience wasn’t nearly so profitable! Within the last 4 years I have had to settle two estates. The auction house would take almost anything including stuff I thought was completely worthless like small wooden boxes and such. Two of the very few items that they wouldn’t take were a couple sets of real silver plated tableware and multiple sets of porcelain china. They told me those items often wouldn’t sell no matter how low the price was. It was disappointing but understandable since I didn’t want these items either. I gave it all to the Salvation Army thrift store eventually rather than have it just take up space in a closet.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:21 AM
Sage

I didn't realize such a shift had taken place had taken place until my offer to pass down the good silverware was refused. "Mom, C. and I don't live like you guys did...when we entertain, it's just casual." And these aren't even Millennials, they're GenX.

I don't think it's all a matter of being practical and living a simple life, but also a relaxation of standards. Modesty and fit of clothing are just one example.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
I didn't realize such a shift had taken place had taken place until my offer to pass down the good silverware was refused. "Mom, C. and I don't live like you guys did...when we entertain, it's just casual." And these aren't even Millennials, they're GenX.

I don't think it's all a matter of being practical and living a simple life, but also a relaxation of standards. Modesty and fit of clothing are just one example.
I used to look down my nose at the "relaxed standards" but after almost a year not wearing a bra....I may just be one of those folks.

Tags
sell, stuff, vintage, consign, shop

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.