Closed Thread
Old 05-17-2020, 12:53 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts
Default Where New Yorkers moved to escape the coronavirus

oj4sfglh-jpg

eyo6s5sxsamfbqs-jpg

Travel from New York City seeded wave of US outbreaks

New York City’s coronavirus outbreak grew so large by early March that the city became the primary source of new infections in the United States, new research reveals, as thousands of infected people traveled from the city and seeded outbreaks around the country.

"We now have enough data to feel pretty confident that New York was the primary gateway for the rest of the country" said Nathan Grubaugh, an epidemiologist at the Yale School of Public Health.

Travel from New York City seeded wave of U.S. outbreaks | The Seattle Times

Would have been a good move to quarantine NYC

Last edited by GoodLife; 05-17-2020 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,950 Times in 1,706 Posts

Hmmm.
Old 05-17-2020, 01:49 PM

What an ignorant and uninformed post title. Everyone with half a brain knows that NYC is a major gateway for international travel. This has nothing to do with New Yorkers spreading the disease throughout the country!
Old 05-17-2020, 02:08 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom53 View Post
What an ignorant and uninformed post title. Everyone with half a brain knows that NYC is a major gateway for international travel. This has nothing to do with New Yorkers spreading the disease throughout the country!
The post title is exactly the title of an article in the New York Times, so they must be ignorant and uninformed. The second part of my OP was the title of another article in the New York Times. Travel from New York seeded wave of US outbreaks.

See the 2nd graph I posted? That's from the New York Times also, taken from a scientific study that traced the genetic mutations of the virus all over the country and found most of it had come from New York City. The virus came to New York mostly from Europe, it came to Europe from China. These facts do not refute the fact the a majority of outbreaks across the US were seeded from New York travelers. They have genetic proof.

PS I did not link the New York Times articles because this site prohibits using links to subscription only articles. But lots of other papers reported the same news.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
The post title is exactly the title of an article in the New York Times, so they must be ignorant and uninformed. The second part of my OP was the title of another article in the New York Times. Travel from New York seeded wave of US outbreaks.

See the 2nd graph I posted? That's from the New York Times also, taken from a scientific study that traced the genetic mutations of the virus all over the country and found most of it had come from New York City. The virus came to New York mostly from Europe, it came to Europe from China. These facts do not refute the fact the a majority of outbreaks across the US were seeded from New York travelers. They have genetic proof.

PS I did not link the New York Times articles because this site prohibits using links to subscription only articles. But lots of other papers reported the same news.
So the fact that you use and defend their title tells me you agree with it, it which case, I stand by my post.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:36 PM
Sage

Just how much more do New Yorkers need to suffer? I’ve been to NYC once 3 decades ago and never went back, but what they have been through just recently is the greatest hell on earth. To kick them now in any way is unconscionable, even if it is The New York Times (among my favorite newspapers).
Old 05-17-2020, 02:37 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
So the fact that you use and defend their title tells me you agree with it, it which case, I stand by my post.
You probably know better than the New York Times about the city they publish in and probably the micro biologists and epidemiologists that mapped the spread of the virus.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:46 PM

This post was meant to incite rather than inform.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Why to some choose to call what is presented as kicking New Yorkers and the international aspect of the NYC inhabitants spreading the virus.

What was presented is the infected folks that just happen to be from or in or traveling through NYC that traveled to other parts of the country included some who were infected and passed it along.

I don't believe there was any intent to castigate New Yorkers.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:54 PM
Sage

If we take it back far enough we are all related to an axe murderer. How is this useful information to the public?
Old 05-17-2020, 03:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
NewYorker?
Old 05-17-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
You probably know better than the New York Times about the city they publish in and probably the micro biologists and epidemiologists that mapped the spread of the virus.
First of all, I apologize, I misread the title regarding the escape part, and read it as blaming New Yorkers.

Second, I don't trust the New York Times as they have there own slant and agenda for reporting news. You can find an expert to spin data for any conclusion you are looking for, the internet is great for that.

That being said, did it spread out from New York (among a few other places), I would say yes, due to international travel, not residents as I thought the title was referring to.
Old 05-17-2020, 03:17 PM

😲😲😲
Old 05-17-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisbad1 View Post
NewYorker?
Originally, yes, does it matter?
Old 05-17-2020, 04:09 PM
Sage

No it doesn’t. I’m as far from being a New Yorker as you can imagine. But for the last 2 months I’ve watched their suffering every day for hours at a time. And of course our area and the rest of the world suffered too. When they could finally breathe I took a breath too.

This pandemic is a life defining event. Each of us went through it our own way. And I am so grateful, that these people from New York who I don’t know at all, and likely never will, are a little further from the extreme ravages of this disease. I think it is just called being a human.
Closed Thread

Tags
york, city, march, outbreaks, seeded

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.