Where New Yorkers moved to escape the coronavirus

Closed Thread
Old 05-17-2020, 04:10 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Interesting graphics.
Not sure if the NYT is rightwing or leftwing..........but interesting info.

Is the CDC tracking that good to create this information??
Old 05-17-2020, 04:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Florida is not the only State that has felt the NY effect, Sourheastern Pa and NJ are also in there. Personally, I don't know what the answer could be. Floridians bail when a hurricane is coming, why wouldn't New Yorkers bail when a killer virus is coming? Check in, get tested when you arrive and stay home for 14 days to be sure? Not sure how you track or enforce.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-17-2020, 05:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Interesting graphics.

They are less leftwing than WAPO but definitely not conservative. They do try to report the news without sneering...
Old 05-17-2020, 05:11 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Interesting graphics.

They are definitely left wing, but their science reporting like these articles is usually pretty good.

The virus was tracked by micro biologists and epidemiologists by genetic mutations and studying travel based on flights from New York. The Times got their info from the scientists. They do this kind of stuff to see how pandemics spread and hopefully learn from it.

I think this is the first time I've ever been blamed for headlines and reporting done by the New York Times.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:42 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom53 View Post
First of all, I apologize, I misread the title regarding the escape part, and read it as blaming New Yorkers.

Second, I don't trust the New York Times as they have there own slant and agenda for reporting news. You can find an expert to spin data for any conclusion you are looking for, the internet is great for that.

That being said, did it spread out from New York (among a few other places), I would say yes, due to international travel, not residents as I thought the title was referring to.
Actually not international travelers, it was NYC residents requesting mail forwarding.

This New York Times map could be misinterpreted merely as travel, but as the article notes, it’s based on the “56,000 mail-forwarding requests from New York City” received by the United States Post Office in March, “more than double the monthly average. In April, the number of requests went up to 81,000, twice the number from a year earlier. Sixty percent of those new requests were for destinations outside the city.

ny_times_postal_service_data_coronavirus_moves_05-17-2020-e1589735873639-jpg
Old 05-17-2020, 09:42 PM

People are always ready to hate. They have lot of things in their lives that are going wrong and they are looking for someone to blame for their failure.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Where did New Yorkers move to escape the corona virus? That is the title of the thread. Should the title not read, where did New Yorkers flee to escape and spread the virus? I am not trying to vilify all NY's, I completely understand that the problem is NYC, not the wonderful rural place that is upstate NY. But NYC is a major problem, for several reasons. It is an international travel hub of the world, people coming and going from everywhere on the planet. Way too many people living in way too small of an area. People living indoors in very tight quarters all breathing the same recirculated air. Just not a good thing. Once wide spread international travel resumes, we are back in the same precarious situation.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:07 PM

"I could see Mount Sodom beyond the distant shores, where the goat had been chosen as a sacrifice to redeem the wicked tribe."
Old 05-18-2020, 06:03 AM

This is my favorite thread. Love the defensive posture.
Old 05-18-2020, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife View Post
you probably know better than the new york times about the city they publish in and probably the micro biologists and epidemiologists that mapped the spread of the virus.
lol
Old 05-18-2020, 06:40 AM
Default Lessons Identified

There are many lessons that are being identified from this pandemic. One lesson is that international travel whether by air or ship presents challenges to isolate contagious viruses.

Prior to this virus, the travel industry faced similar scrutiny with regard to weapons used in the act of terrorism on planes. As a result, many safety measures were put in place, requiring passengers to be scanned, shoes to be removed, etc., and for the safety of everyone onboard, we conformed. Perhaps in the future before taking an international flight we will be asked for a cheek swab with quick results or perhaps there will be technology built into the body scanners we are already subject to at a TSA security checkpoint. Perhaps planes will be required to be disinfected between flights or seats will be made from antimicrobial fabric. These are lessons that can be identified and they provide us an opportunity to learn. Thus, understanding the path or gateway of this virus is important as it might lead to measures that can mitigate risk going forward.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:01 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDVeteran View Post
This post was meant to incite rather than inform.
I completely disagree. It IS informative as it helps show how this pestilence spread across the U.S. It just happened to be New York City that was the focal point, Could have been San Francisco or Chicago. What's your point? It's not inciteful at all.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:06 AM
Platinum member

Originally Posted by DDVeteran
This post was meant to incite rather than inform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
I completely disagree. It IS informative as it helps show how this pestilence spread across the U.S. It just happened to be New York City that was the focal point, Could have been San Francisco or Chicago. What's your point? It's not inciteful at all.
Some people are just anti science.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:47 AM

We moved from the deep south to NC. We had little contact with people from NY or NJ prior to living in NC. You can't paint all people with the same brush. We know many conservative intelligent people from NY & NJ. We also know many biased intransigent people from these areas. You can't convince those who "feel"they know with facts.
Old 05-18-2020, 07:55 AM
Default New York visitors

An interesting thread. DeSantis has said that the Mayors in the panhandle and Florida in general can request, with their plans, for opening short term rentals...but he said if they include allowing people from New York to rent then he will definitely deny their request to open.
Closed Thread

Tags
york, city, march, outbreaks, seeded

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.