Where is Your Favorite Grand Hotels?

Closed Thread
Old 10-27-2013, 10:50 AM
Veteran member
Default Where is Your Favorite Grand Hotels?

Even if you are not staying, I love visiting some of the Grand Hotels for lunch, tea or dinner. Where is your favorite Grand Hotels you visited? I hope to visit Breakers in Palm Beach again. Carolina Hotel in Pinehurst come to mind for golfers. Greenbrier in Virginia is another one though apparently the new owner changed the atmosphere from before. Overseas, George Cinq now Four Seasons. Love The Coughnot in London, etc.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:04 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

The Mt Washington Hotel across from Bretton Woods ski area in NH. Have a drink or high tea on the wrap around porch about October 10 and view the spectacular colors and scenery.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:08 AM
Veteran member

The Royal Horseguard in London.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:10 AM
Veteran member

Thornberry Castle in Bristol, UK is my all time favorite so far.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:10 AM
Sage

Club Pierre, (actually The Four Seasons), in N.Y. Saw Dr. J. of basketball fame entering the side entrance into the hotel. My son took me up to the room that Elizabeth Taylor use to own. Four Seasons in Boston and Chicago.

The Ritz Carlton In N.Y. Had a telescope in the living room to see the complete area, breathtaking. The Marriot in Baltimore was a very nice location.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 10-27-2013, 11:24 AM

The Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island, Michigan. It dates back to 1847 with a 660 foot porch overlooking the Straits of Mackinac. Two movies were shot there "This time for Keeps" and "Somewhere in Time" with the late Christopher Reeve. Although cars aren't allowed, except emergency vehicles of course, Christopher Reeve was filmed driving a convertible down the driveway. Living in Michigan, I was fortunate enough to be visiting the summer of 1980 while the movie was being filmed. The hotel is open seasonally and is quite a beautiful gem while approaching by ferry.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:28 AM
Veteran member

My all time favorite is The Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island. We were fortunate enough to stay there for four glorious evenings.

I think of it as a magical place where no cars are allowed and horse driven carriages, along with bicycles are the main transportation.

The hotel sits on top of a hill overlooking the Straits of Mackinac and a grand garden. This hotel boast having the worlds longest porch filled with huge white rocking chairs and surrounded by hundreds of red geraniums. People sit there and mingle with tea or cocktails.

Dining is fabulous and 5 star. The restaurant pays great attention to details, such as placing napkins in the ladies laps and refilling water glass after a few sips. The waiters are dressed meticulously with the white napkin over their arm.

The rooms are charming and each one is decorated differently. Our room was yellow and blue with flowers everywhere. It was bright and very cheerful. Our view was the Straits of Mackinac and the bridge which lights up in the evening.

There has been several movies made at this hotel but my favorite is Somewhere in Time with Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour.

I included a link to the hotel so you can see how beautiful it is.
Welcome to America

Welcome to America

Last edited by tippyclubb; 10-27-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:56 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
The Mt Washington Hotel across from Bretton Woods ski area in NH. Have a drink or high tea on the wrap around porch about October 10 and view the spectacular colors and scenery.
I'm down with that! We do it every year - after lunch in the tavern! That view should be up there with the 7 wonders of the world! But i am disappointed that the view has been diminished [to say the least] by the construction of the concrete pavilion off the back of the veranda! Used to so enjoy watching a tennis match or two there!
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	mt wash hotel fall.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	24126  

Old 10-27-2013, 01:19 PM
Veteran member

Breakers Hotel Palm Beach, (used to work there) Waldorf-Astoria, Beverly Hills Hilton, The Palace Hotel in Madrid are my most favorite hotels I've stayed in for awesomeness !!! :-)
Old 10-27-2013, 02:00 PM

The Greenbrier is located in White Sulpher Springs, "West" Virginia.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:12 PM
Gold member

Another vote for The Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island.
My wife and I have stayed there numerous times and have always had a great time.
They now charge a fee if you want to walk inside or sit on the porch but will apply the fee price if you stay for lunch.
The whole island is great; except for the touristy shops.
Take your own bikes or rent theirs and ride the 8 mile perimeter and then explore the interior by the airport and numerous bed and breakfasts.
If you are lucky and we never were you can visit the Governors Mansion if they are not in residence.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:10 PM

Another vote for Mt Washington Hotel in NH, also like the Gideon Putnum is Saratoga Springs, NY and the Del Coronado Hotel in California. That's where Marilyn Monroe and Tony Curtis filmed Some Like it Hot.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:45 PM

Another vote for Mackinaw Island in Michigan. Very beautiful. Stayed the night there and had the most wonderful meal ! The View is beautiful.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default difficult to pick just one.....soooo...

Homestead in Virginia
Grove Park Inn in Asheville
Doral - Miami
Ritz in Maui
Pebble Beach
Pinehurst in NC

You may have noticed a theme here.....GOLF
Old 10-27-2013, 04:12 PM

The Parker House-Boston
The Don Cesar Hotel-St. Pete Beach
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.