Who did you sleep with?

Closed Thread
Old 07-03-2011, 09:03 AM
Founder
Default Who did you sleep with?

Get your mind out of the gutter, I'm talking about your security toy when you were a little kid.

Mine was a brown and yellow Teddy Bear, and I also had a small stuffed black dog. But the bear was the primary figure. He didn't have a name.

I couldn't imagine sleeping without the bear.

My brother's bear was the same, only black and white.

My daughters bear "ziggy" is still with her. She has teenaged boys now.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:22 AM
Sage

I didn't have a security toy but understand the significance of such a precious thing. My stepdaughter had a little pound puppy stuffed animal that her aunt placed in her bassinet at the hospital on the day she was born. She still has "puppy" and she is now 24 years old.

That little puppy was is so threadbear you can see the criss-crossed threads of the cotton used in the brown faded material to sew up all that love. I embroidered new eyes when the plastic eyes fell off. I embroidered stitches for his toes when the threads came out.

I would warn her on vacations to please, please leave puppy at home. If you lose him; he's gone forever. She couldn't go anywhere without puppy. When she was a child, she carried that puppy on vacations, to the grocery store, in her backpack to school...everywhere.

When she was about ten, her mother lovingly told her it was time to give up puppy. My stepdaughter called me crying and said, "Mommy put puppy in a ziploc baggie and hid him from me. He's going to suffacate." I managed to talk her mom into letting her keep the puppy with her a little longer. Longer turned into a beautiful grown woman with a security puppy tenderly tucked away at her own home.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:56 AM
Email Reported As Spam

I was too poor and didn't own toys so I slept with toys or games we made up. I liked to play kick the can
Old 07-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I was too poor and didn't own toys so I slept with toys or games we made up. I liked to play kick the can

You slept with a can???

Old 07-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

Not quite the point of your question, but I grew up sleeping in the same room as my big brother and I remember when I was pretty young being nervous sleeping anywhere else, like a cousin's home, without having my brother sleeping in the same room.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Sage

I forgot to post my reply... I slept with my sister... We would draw a line down the bed and no one could cross over it.

I still try to do that with hubby to this day......
Old 07-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Gold member

When I was a little boy in Upper Manhattan, NYC, many nights I went to sleep with an adult man who was not a member of the family. I could not believe that my beloved New York Giants baseball club was moving to a far-away land called "San Francisco". Heck, I didn't even know where that place was!! Anyway, this man was "recreating" the Giants games from San Francisco. With my little Zenith radio earpiece in my ear late at night I would fell asleep listening to Les do play by play of that day's game. "Recreating"? For me, it was an actual live broadcast.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/16/sp.../16keiter.html
Old 07-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiefox10 View Post
I forgot to post my reply... I slept with my sister... We would draw a line down the bed and no one could cross over it.

I still try to do that with hubby to this day......
I'll bet it don't work.
Old 07-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
I didn't have a security toy but understand the significance of such a precious thing. My stepdaughter had a little pound puppy stuffed animal that her aunt placed in her bassinet at the hospital on the day she was born. She still has "puppy" and she is now 24 years old.

That little puppy was is so threadbear you can see the criss-crossed threads of the cotton used in the brown faded material to sew up all that love. I embroidered new eyes when the plastic eyes fell off. I embroidered stitches for his toes when the threads came out.

I would warn her on vacations to please, please leave puppy at home. If you lose him; he's gone forever. She couldn't go anywhere without puppy. When she was a child, she carried that puppy on vacations, to the grocery store, in her backpack to school...everywhere.

When she was about ten, her mother lovingly told her it was time to give up puppy. My stepdaughter called me crying and said, "Mommy put puppy in a ziploc baggie and hid him from me. He's going to suffacate." I managed to talk her mom into letting her keep the puppy with her a little longer. Longer turned into a beautiful grown woman with a security puppy tenderly tucked away at her own home.
bkcunningham1, What a sweet story. Thanks for brightening my Sunday!
Old 07-03-2011, 03:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
I'll bet it don't work.
Nope... Won't take that bet!!!

Old 07-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Sage

Not me, but my son slept with a doll we called "Cathy". One day we hosted the daughter of one of my parent's friends who was visiting San Jose State before deciding on a college. She was named "Kathy" as well. She stayed with us for a few days, then we drove her to the train to go home. We were standing on the platform watching her get on the train when my son started screaming and crying "Cassie" (his version of Cathy). "Don't go!" he kept crying and trying to climb down from my arms. I'm sure people around us thought we were taking him from his mother. It was a wonder no one called the police!

Once he was home and saw his doll on his bed he was OK. Whew!
Old 07-03-2011, 05:24 PM

I don't remeber sleeping with anything special as a child....maybe that's why I was so scared of the dark and going to bed....now I sleep with 5 pillows......
Old 07-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Sage

I didn't have a security toy, but often fell asleep with a book in my hand. If it wasn't a classic novel or a Nancy Drew book, it was often, The Best Loved Poems of the American People, a hardback collection of poetry that I still own.

My youngest brother had a security blanket, plus an imaginary friend he called, "Miney Mo," (as in Eeenie Meenie, I suppose). His youngest daughter had a "Lovie" doll she could go nowhere without.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:14 PM

What started out as 1 or 2 stuffed toys ended up being about 22 by the time I was 4 or 5- there was barely room for me in the bed. Every time I'd get a new one, I'd just find a place for it, didn't want to relegate any of the old ones to the toy shelves.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
I didn't have a security toy, but often fell asleep with a book in my hand. If it wasn't a classic novel or a Nancy Drew book, it was often, The Best Loved Poems of the American People, a hardback collection of poetry that I still own.

My youngest brother had a security blanket, plus an imaginary friend he called, "Miney Mo," (as in Eeenie Meenie, I suppose). His youngest daughter had a "Lovie" doll she could go nowhere without.
Your just so cerebral Pturner....I never got the hang of holding a book in one hand and a flashlight in the other...How do you turn the pages.. wish we had e-kindle then. wish we had electricity
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.