Who did you sleep with?

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 07-03-2011, 09:03 AM
Talk Host's Avatar
Talk Host Talk Host is offline
Founder
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,350
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Default Who did you sleep with?

Get your mind out of the gutter, I'm talking about your security toy when you were a little kid.

Mine was a brown and yellow Teddy Bear, and I also had a small stuffed black dog. But the bear was the primary figure. He didn't have a name.

I couldn't imagine sleeping without the bear.

My brother's bear was the same, only black and white.

My daughters bear "ziggy" is still with her. She has teenaged boys now.
  #2  
Old 07-03-2011, 09:22 AM
bkcunningham1 bkcunningham1 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,486
Thanks: 18
Thanked 14 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I didn't have a security toy but understand the significance of such a precious thing. My stepdaughter had a little pound puppy stuffed animal that her aunt placed in her bassinet at the hospital on the day she was born. She still has "puppy" and she is now 24 years old.

That little puppy was is so threadbear you can see the criss-crossed threads of the cotton used in the brown faded material to sew up all that love. I embroidered new eyes when the plastic eyes fell off. I embroidered stitches for his toes when the threads came out.

I would warn her on vacations to please, please leave puppy at home. If you lose him; he's gone forever. She couldn't go anywhere without puppy. When she was a child, she carried that puppy on vacations, to the grocery store, in her backpack to school...everywhere.

When she was about ten, her mother lovingly told her it was time to give up puppy. My stepdaughter called me crying and said, "Mommy put puppy in a ziploc baggie and hid him from me. He's going to suffacate." I managed to talk her mom into letting her keep the puppy with her a little longer. Longer turned into a beautiful grown woman with a security puppy tenderly tucked away at her own home.
  #3  
Old 07-03-2011, 10:56 AM
rubicon rubicon is offline
Email Reported As Spam
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13,697
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default

I was too poor and didn't own toys so I slept with toys or games we made up. I liked to play kick the can
  #4  
Old 07-03-2011, 10:59 AM
angiefox10's Avatar
angiefox10 angiefox10 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,633
Thanks: 6
Thanked 60 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I was too poor and didn't own toys so I slept with toys or games we made up. I liked to play kick the can


You slept with a can???


  #5  
Old 07-03-2011, 11:26 AM
RichieLion's Avatar
RichieLion RichieLion is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Posts: 6,002
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion
Default

Not quite the point of your question, but I grew up sleeping in the same room as my big brother and I remember when I was pretty young being nervous sleeping anywhere else, like a cousin's home, without having my brother sleeping in the same room.
__________________
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania (1759)
  #6  
Old 07-03-2011, 12:44 PM
angiefox10's Avatar
angiefox10 angiefox10 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,633
Thanks: 6
Thanked 60 Times in 23 Posts
Default

I forgot to post my reply... I slept with my sister... We would draw a line down the bed and no one could cross over it.

I still try to do that with hubby to this day......
__________________
  #7  
Old 07-03-2011, 01:02 PM
tkret's Avatar
tkret tkret is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,024
Thanks: 37
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

When I was a little boy in Upper Manhattan, NYC, many nights I went to sleep with an adult man who was not a member of the family. I could not believe that my beloved New York Giants baseball club was moving to a far-away land called "San Francisco". Heck, I didn't even know where that place was!! Anyway, this man was "recreating" the Giants games from San Francisco. With my little Zenith radio earpiece in my ear late at night I would fell asleep listening to Les do play by play of that day's game. "Recreating"? For me, it was an actual live broadcast.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/16/sp.../16keiter.html
  #8  
Old 07-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Shimpy's Avatar
Shimpy Shimpy is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,697
Thanks: 3
Thanked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiefox10 View Post
I forgot to post my reply... I slept with my sister... We would draw a line down the bed and no one could cross over it.

I still try to do that with hubby to this day......
I'll bet it don't work.
__________________
Les
  #9  
Old 07-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Schaumburger's Avatar
Schaumburger Schaumburger is offline
Sage
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Schaumburg, IL - Chicago suburb - TV Wannabee
Posts: 4,242
Thanks: 917
Thanked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
I didn't have a security toy but understand the significance of such a precious thing. My stepdaughter had a little pound puppy stuffed animal that her aunt placed in her bassinet at the hospital on the day she was born. She still has "puppy" and she is now 24 years old.

That little puppy was is so threadbear you can see the criss-crossed threads of the cotton used in the brown faded material to sew up all that love. I embroidered new eyes when the plastic eyes fell off. I embroidered stitches for his toes when the threads came out.

I would warn her on vacations to please, please leave puppy at home. If you lose him; he's gone forever. She couldn't go anywhere without puppy. When she was a child, she carried that puppy on vacations, to the grocery store, in her backpack to school...everywhere.

When she was about ten, her mother lovingly told her it was time to give up puppy. My stepdaughter called me crying and said, "Mommy put puppy in a ziploc baggie and hid him from me. He's going to suffacate." I managed to talk her mom into letting her keep the puppy with her a little longer. Longer turned into a beautiful grown woman with a security puppy tenderly tucked away at her own home.
bkcunningham1, What a sweet story. Thanks for brightening my Sunday!
  #10  
Old 07-03-2011, 03:20 PM
angiefox10's Avatar
angiefox10 angiefox10 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,633
Thanks: 6
Thanked 60 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
I'll bet it don't work.
Nope... Won't take that bet!!!

__________________
  #11  
Old 07-03-2011, 04:28 PM
Mikeod's Avatar
Mikeod Mikeod is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Caroline
Posts: 5,021
Thanks: 0
Thanked 48 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Not me, but my son slept with a doll we called "Cathy". One day we hosted the daughter of one of my parent's friends who was visiting San Jose State before deciding on a college. She was named "Kathy" as well. She stayed with us for a few days, then we drove her to the train to go home. We were standing on the platform watching her get on the train when my son started screaming and crying "Cassie" (his version of Cathy). "Don't go!" he kept crying and trying to climb down from my arms. I'm sure people around us thought we were taking him from his mother. It was a wonder no one called the police!

Once he was home and saw his doll on his bed he was OK. Whew!
  #12  
Old 07-03-2011, 05:24 PM
momesu momesu is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 435
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I don't remeber sleeping with anything special as a child....maybe that's why I was so scared of the dark and going to bed....now I sleep with 5 pillows......
  #13  
Old 07-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Pturner's Avatar
Pturner Pturner is offline
Sage
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,066
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I didn't have a security toy, but often fell asleep with a book in my hand. If it wasn't a classic novel or a Nancy Drew book, it was often, The Best Loved Poems of the American People, a hardback collection of poetry that I still own.

My youngest brother had a security blanket, plus an imaginary friend he called, "Miney Mo," (as in Eeenie Meenie, I suppose). His youngest daughter had a "Lovie" doll she could go nowhere without.
  #14  
Old 07-04-2011, 02:14 PM
colleenj's Avatar
colleenj colleenj is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 159
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

What started out as 1 or 2 stuffed toys ended up being about 22 by the time I was 4 or 5- there was barely room for me in the bed. Every time I'd get a new one, I'd just find a place for it, didn't want to relegate any of the old ones to the toy shelves.
__________________
NH for 1st half of life, now TV for the rest!
  #15  
Old 07-04-2011, 02:51 PM
rubicon rubicon is offline
Email Reported As Spam
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13,697
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
I didn't have a security toy, but often fell asleep with a book in my hand. If it wasn't a classic novel or a Nancy Drew book, it was often, The Best Loved Poems of the American People, a hardback collection of poetry that I still own.

My youngest brother had a security blanket, plus an imaginary friend he called, "Miney Mo," (as in Eeenie Meenie, I suppose). His youngest daughter had a "Lovie" doll she could go nowhere without.
Your just so cerebral Pturner....I never got the hang of holding a book in one hand and a flashlight in the other...How do you turn the pages.. wish we had e-kindle then. wish we had electricity
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 AM.