Who misses hunting or hunting camp?

Closed Thread
Old 08-02-2014, 08:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty55 View Post
What I find most objectionable is to catch the racoons and then shoot them. Kind of like throwing a lobster pot in the tank at Red Lobster. To me, it smacks of sadism (IMO).

Please don't assume who came (or did not come)from a rural life. Guess what, we cut down Christmas trees, had wild "critters".

These raccoons were KILLING THEIR CHICKENS which they use for eggs.
They are nuisance animals........not pets. I don't assume anything. Why are you always trying to start an argument? Life is too short for that.

The raccoons were an ongoing problem. Right up close to their home.
It's what people do in a rural environment. We've had wild ones in our town which the game warden has had to come & shoot/kill.

Raccoon Outside in the Daytime - Is it Rabid or Dangerous?

Raccoon Outside in the Daytime - Is it Rabid or Dangerous
Old 08-02-2014, 08:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Old 08-02-2014, 09:08 PM
Platinum member

Again, not to be argumentative, I just DON'T GET how shooting a caged animal is "hunting".

Anyone want to go on safari at the Bronx Zoo?

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
Enjoy the journey & don't think of it as your last.......but one of your finest.
It's always good to get back to nature.

If you think killing animals is tantamount to "getting back to nature,"
you need a pre-frontal lobotomy.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:43 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

What I really look forward to eating at hunting camp is the liver of a freshly killed deer. I usually saute it in butter but this looks like a really great way to prepare it. Waste not, want not. “Deer Hunting VI: How to Cook a Deer Liver”

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-02-2014, 09:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I don't miss it. I look forward to it every year. Dove, ducks, geese, quail, pheasant, pronghorn antelope, deer, elk, turkey, javelina, even bear.

The FIRST thing I noticed when I walked into the Lake Sumter Landing sales office a few years ago were the mounted trophy size mule deer heads. I realized someone was a serious hunter when I saw those!
I find the sales office at Lake Sumter Landing with all those animal heads disgusting. I couldn't even sit in that particular room. The person to whom you refer as being a "serious hunter" is no other than our developer, Mr. Morse. That's right . . . Mr. Morse. Two years ago he was fined in Montana for poaching out of season. He has also purchase property east of Ocala where he has built a lodge and will operate the property for the purpose of having a "canned hunt" operation for himself and his friends.

Please read this excerpt from Wikipedia:

A number of groups object to the practice of canned hunting for reasons such as cruelty to animals or that it takes away what is known as "fair chase."

The Humane Society of the United States is an outspoken critic of canned hunting. In a statement, the HSUS called canned hunts "cruel and brutal activities," in which the hunted animal has "absolutely no chance of escape." It went on to say that animals have been "psychologically conditioned to behave as a target by life in captivity," among other objections.

Some hunting groups, especially those who focus on hunters' ethics, also object to canned hunting. These objections are on the grounds of "fair chase," the idea that an animal has a fair chance of escaping the hunter, and it's not too easy for the hunter to kill the animal. It is believed that canned hunts take this element away.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:58 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

I do not go on or support canned hunts in any manner. They are pathetic.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-03-2014, 05:28 AM
Sage

Although I never got into hunting and shooting deer, I remember some people in the old neighbor did. Once in a while, I would see a deep strapped to a hood of a car.

They once served venison in our old club. Very good.

For the people who do hunt and decide to gut the animal to feed their family, it is a good thing. Killing a deer for the sake of sport, is senseless to me..... IMHO

To each their own but that's not me. I could never kill and or gut an animal.

Teddy Roosevelt must be spinning in his grave when he sees, this thread.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 08-03-2014, 05:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Please don't get me wrong
I love animals they taste great
For all you anti hunting posers next time you consume anything made with egg products just think of all the abortions of young chickens you just supported
Old 08-03-2014, 06:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
Although I never got into hunting and shooting deer, I remember some people in the old neighbor did. Once in a while, I would see a deep strapped to a hood of a car.

They once served venison in our old club. Very good.

For the people who do hunt and decide to gut the animal to feed their family, it is a good thing. Killing a deer for the sake of sport, is senseless to me..... IMHO

To each their own but that's not me. I could never kill and or gut an animal.

Teddy Roosevelt must be spinning in his grave when he sees, this thread.

Neither would I, myself, be able to shoot or otherwise kill a deer, bird or whatever for food or "sport", however, when we arrived in Vermont in 1970, we soon found out that nearly EVERYONE went hunting beginning in bow season......(bow & arrow) followed by the three weeks of going up to camp with their deer rifles, beginning around Veterans Day & ending right around Thanksgiving.......

Out came the red / black plaid wool jackets, the orange hats, etc. & they'd think nothing of walking in the woods behind houses, which at first alarmed me in our rental farmhouse (before we found a home to buy). NO ONE IN NEW JERSEY WENT HUNTING THAT I KNEW OF.......NO ONE CARRIED RIFLES OVER THEIR SHOULDER. I had a two year old little girl in 1970.....so was alarmed until I was told it was the beginning of hunting season.

We soon moved down into town......so that was a safer feeling.
I can laugh at it all now..........but it was alien to me back then.

Mine went for the Friday/Sat./Sun morning up to his friend's deer camp.......with many other young fathers/husbands..........although they never did get their deer, they enjoyed hiking around the woods, having "man talk" & enjoying all of the big pots of food we wives sent up with them.

I always made chili with red kidney beans/ground beef.......however, some others brought up squirrel stew (not teasing, this is true) and other strange concoctions.

The modern day preppers (t.v. show we enjoy) have nothing on these old time "born in Vermont" guys who will eat the wild type critters......& know how to prepare them in a savory manner.

My husband says we will all be eating them if something happens to our power grid......and supermarket food is no longer available.
This is why I'm stocking up on beans and rice (said tongue in cheek) as well as peanut butter.

These were the real Vermonters.............and yes their husbands did hope to provide food for their families. Many who have been to "game suppers" say venison is really good, if prepared correctly.

The climate changed over the years & it went from hunting on freshly fallen snow.......up in the mountains.........to hunting in the heat on green grass with the leaves on top.

He stopped "hunting" awhile ago........but it was a once a year enjoyment of nature up in the forest at a camp with an outhouse.

Our son was taken up to "camp" once as an adolescent but wanted nothing to do with killing animals......for sport or for food. He still loves camping & enjoys the wilderness in his neck of the woods/mountains. Is proud of his homestate, the state he was born in, Vermont, but Colorado is now truly HOME.

For all of the naysayers re hunting, if you eat meat, those animals were also slaughtered..........perhaps in a more horrible fashion.
In many rural states, hunting is still popular........especially out west.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
For all you anti hunting posers next time you consume anything made with egg products just think of all the abortions of young chickens you just supported

Good thought. One really can't win. There are so many lifestyles out there today among the younger generation.

Urban homesteading is popular with many who have chickens to supply eggs/baby goats for milk/cheese. Their chickens & goats are much loved members of the family.

Whether they choose to be city mouse or country mouse, they are trying to be self sufficient. These are NOT poor people, by the way, but highly educated ones.

May not be something I would want to pursue......however, I respect their right to do so as well as my daughter's husband's right to protect his chickens/laying hens. These vicious raccoons are not "bambi" in the forest.....but predators.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post

If I am raising hens and take an egg to eat 1) it is not fertilized, and 2) I have not killed a living animal for my sport pleasure. Please let us not move this discussion to abortion...especially when it comes to eggs.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:30 AM
Sage
Default What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
If you think killing animals is tantamount to "getting back to nature,"
you need a pre-frontal lobotomy.

Sorry, but I have NEVER killed any living creature & would not want to. However, Vermont is a hunting state & when younger, it's what the guys do.......go up to hunting camp for a weekend. Whether they get one or not.......they are communing with nature, not in the city noise & crowds which tend to make people uptight & ornery. I'll let you know when I need a lobotomy. That was funny.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.