Why do the CAPACITORS on your AC keep blowing out? (hint: it's the EPA again)

Closed Thread
Old 02-26-2020, 01:03 AM
Default Why do the CAPACITORS on your AC keep blowing out? (hint: it's the EPA again)

It's because of the stupid ban on PCBs, courtesy of the EPA.

PCBs make capacitors last forever, as opposed to the cr*p we're forced to use b/c of the PCB ban.

Old 02-26-2020, 06:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,503 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back9 View Post
It's because of the stupid ban on PCBs, courtesy of the EPA.

PCBs make capacitors last forever, as opposed to the cr*p we're forced to use b/c of the PCB ban.

If you have a point, you failed to make it and you just seem angry.

That will attract more posts from the other angry people who will debate you and then it will get greenie obsceney and I haven't had my coffee yet.

Sez here PCB's have been banned since 1977;

Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs): Your Environment, Your ...
Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs): Your Environment, Your Health | National Library of Medicine

May 31, 2017 · Polychlorinated biphenyls, commonly called PCBs, are manufactured mixtures of up to 209 chlorinated compounds. U.S. production of PCBs stopped in 1977 because of suspected harmful health and environmental effects. Before 1977, PCBs were used as insulation, coolants, and lubricants in transformers, capacitors, and other electrical equipment.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
If you have a point, you failed to make it and you just seem angry.

That will attract more posts from the other angry people who will debate you and then it will get greenie obsceney and I haven't had my coffee yet.

Sez here PCB's have been banned since 1977;

Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs): Your Environment, Your ...
Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs): Your Environment, Your Health | National Library of Medicine

May 31, 2017 · Polychlorinated biphenyls, commonly called PCBs, are manufactured mixtures of up to 209 chlorinated compounds. U.S. production of PCBs stopped in 1977 because of suspected harmful health and environmental effects. Before 1977, PCBs were used as insulation, coolants, and lubricants in transformers, capacitors, and other electrical equipment.
"... because of suspected harmful health and environmental effects. "

What kind of cr*p is that? Lots of things have "harmful health and environmental effects", but they're not banned by a stupidly sensational news story and some empire-building bureaucrat.

LEAD has ACTUAL "harmful health and environmental effects", but do we stop using batteries?

Old 02-26-2020, 11:19 AM
Location: Lima,OH;St.Paul,MN;Vallejo,CA;Pennsacola,FL;Fremont,OH,Naperville,IL,Sylvania,OH,Fernandina

[QUOTE=Back9;1721620]"... because of suspected harmful health and environmental effects. "

If I remember correctly, PCB's were mainly used in transformers and were proven to be a major carcinogen that polluted water tables. That's enough to scare me.

Henry A. Kissinger
Old 02-26-2020, 12:51 PM

[QUOTE=Big O;1721731]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back9 View Post
"... because of suspected harmful health and environmental effects. "

If I remember correctly, PCB's were mainly used in transformers and were proven to be a major carcinogen that polluted water tables. That's enough to scare me.

It's only carcinogenic if you eat large quantities of it.

Are you in the habit of eating transformers and AC capacitors?

Old 02-26-2020, 01:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,879 Times in 2,425 Posts

I keep two spare capacitors just in case, but so far in 5 years I haven’t had to use one. Maybe something causing them to fail?
Old 02-26-2020, 02:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,103 Times in 2,232 Posts

I tend to go to the next higher voltage rating on capacitors, especially AC rated units, this has lead to a lot lower need for future replacements, cost might be 10% higher.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:09 PM

I wish GoodGuysAir would weigh in on this.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:28 PM
Default capacitors go bad because the motor kicks on and off due to extreme use.

The capacitor kick starts the motor with an additional electrical charge. They go bad because they are working hard due to the climate. PCB's were removed from the utility industry because they do not biodegrade so they were found in almost everything from fish to rice. It is true that they are a carcinogen which was proven when a very large amount was found in a rice paddy and those who consumed the rice had a high cancer level. 32 years in the utility industry and Heating and AC guy hoping to live in TV in as few years as possible. Enjoy! P.S. Capacitors are inexpensive order a replacement and keep on hand if you have a little handy streak in you.
Old 02-26-2020, 05:00 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,252 Times in 424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Vernon View Post
The capacitor kick starts the motor with an additional electrical charge. They go bad because they are working hard due to the climate. PCB's were removed from the utility industry because they do not biodegrade so they were found in almost everything from fish to rice. It is true that they are a carcinogen which was proven when a very large amount was found in a rice paddy and those who consumed the rice had a high cancer level. 32 years in the utility industry and Heating and AC guy hoping to live in TV in as few years as possible. Enjoy! P.S. Capacitors are inexpensive order a replacement and keep on hand if you have a little handy streak in you.
How do I know what capacitor to buy and keep on hand??
Old 02-26-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
how long do pcbs last - Google Search

Old 02-26-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
If someone covered a rice paddy with lead, and then somebody got sick from eating the rice, should we ban lead?

Closed Thread

Tags
pcbs, epa, capacitors, ban, forced

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.