Why I Luv Southwest Airlines

Closed Thread
Old 01-05-2019, 10:32 PM
Default Why I Luv Southwest Airlines

I usually fly Southwest but had to attend a funeral in a city where they don't have any non-stops. United was my best choice.

They offer a variety of options and I chose their basic economy. For this you get a seat of their choice and are permitted to put a carry on item under the seat. No overhead bin usage allowed. If you want to choose your seat and store something in the bin, that is an extra $30 each leg of the trip. If you are traveling with your family and want to sit together, that is $30 for each person. Each checked bag is $30. The flight out was completely full. We were also delayed over an hour because of equipment problems. They actually jump started the engines.

On the return trip, I paid $15 extra to choose an aisle seat and it was worth it. Only two people boarded after I did. On my way to the rear of the plane, I passed no fewer than 10 completely empty rows. That means there were at least 60 unused seats. When I neared my seat, the rows were completely filled.

On Southwest, the passengers would not have been packed together while so many seats were empty. We could all use the overhead bin and check two bags for free. Also, upon landing, I would have found an email with a Luv voucher for $100 and an apology for the delayed flight.

That's why I choose Southwest whenever possible.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,932 Times in 2,702 Posts

We like southwest also, many great things about the airline. The only thing we don't like is the boarding process. We like to be able to book our seats when making a reservation and be done with it. I hate having to log on 24 hours before the flight and get our boarding number. How many times have I had to tell my golf partners I have to step aside and have them wait while I get on my I-Phone to be sure we get a decent boarding number? That is a pain in the A$$.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Last time I flew SW you got boarding pass and could set anywhere except handicap up front. I like airlines that board the back section first and board forwards. That way you don’t have to climb or squeeze around people seating up and down the isles for most part.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

I love SW, but they stopped flying out of our airport. Our last 4 flights with SW was delayed by 3 to 8 hours. We don’t travel with luggage just an under seat. Since the change in airports SW has been $125 to $$300 more per other airlines, at the new airport. I have found every airline has problems on any given day.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:38 AM
Veteran member

Southwest Airlines......How do I love thee......Let me count the ways.......

I love everything about Southwest and they have nonstop flights from my chosen airport several times/day. I have their CC and have used miles for every flight booked for years. I wouldn't even know how to pay $$ for a flight! Their customer service is top notch and they have humane employees. Can't say enough good about them!

Drank the Kool-Aid and now own a home in Tamarind Grove. Yippee!!
Old 01-06-2019, 08:26 AM
Veteran member

Always flew SW out of Buffalo, NY to Orlando, nonstop. Wasn't offered this year, so we flew for the first time JetBlue. Nonstop from Buffalo, comfortable seats, with plenty of leg room! Enjoyed the trip down this time, instead of being in cramped seating.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:33 AM

Thanks for all this info. Will now consider SW. We usually use American due to air miles but they have their problems too.

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Old 01-06-2019, 08:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

I have flown SW since we moved here, they have a lock on Manchester, NH to Orlando, so you really do not have too much choice! However, things have had to change. They used to fly two non stop flights, now the last time I tried them they had no non-stop flights which makes a three hour flight into maybe a six or seven hour flight.

I now fly Jet Blue into Logan, Boston and get the bus (every hour schedule) into NH where my kids pick me up. The cost on Jet Blue is way cheaper than SW too.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-06-2019, 09:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
We like southwest also, many great things about the airline. The only thing we don't like is the boarding process. We like to be able to book our seats when making a reservation and be done with it. I hate having to log on 24 hours before the flight and get our boarding number. How many times have I had to tell my golf partners I have to step aside and have them wait while I get on my I-Phone to be sure we get a decent boarding number? That is a pain in the A$$.
All you have to do is pay $15 for early bird check-in. Well worth it.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:14 AM
Send a message via AIM to jim1941

They raised the early bird check in to $25 but it is worth it.....I got A56 last trip.....)
Old 01-06-2019, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,932 Times in 2,702 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1941 View Post
They raised the early bird check in to $25 but it is worth it.....I got A56 last trip.....)
We learned that B1 is better than A1 through A60. Once the A's board they let all the families with kids board before the B's (and there are always lots of kids going to Orlando/Disney). We have boarded with an A# thinking we got a great seat, only to find we were about to be surrounded by screaming kids with the one kid sitting right behind you kicking the back of your seat the whole flight. With a low B#, there are still plenty of aisle and window seats available to choose from and you can usually find a seat in a kid free zone and enjoy a much more peaceful flight.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:53 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,298 Times in 536 Posts
Default Boarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
You are spot on about boarding on SW. It is a pain...
Old 01-06-2019, 10:06 AM
Veteran member

We have flown SW for years, but things are changing. The latest scam is passengers who book one early bird and then save seats for the rest of their group. We also call it the miracle airline, because most of the wheel chair passengers boarding first, without having to show any doctors notes, are usually the first to run off the plane to get their luggage. A miracle!( I apologize to people who really need a wheel chair) We also don't like their pet policy. Too many dogs, cats etc on board and not in carriers. I love animals, but not in planes or restaurants. Nothing like watching a dog take a .... while eating. Time to stop the madness. Sorry, Just my opinion!
Old 01-06-2019, 10:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcon View Post
We have flown SW for years, but things are changing. The latest scam is passengers who book one early bird and then save seats for the rest of their group. We also call it the miracle airline, because most of the wheel chair passengers boarding first, without having to show any doctors notes, are usually the first to run off the plane to get their luggage. A miracle!( I apologize to people who really need a wheel chair) We also don't like their pet policy. Too many dogs, cats etc on board and not in carriers. I love animals, but not in planes or restaurants. Nothing like watching a dog take a .... while eating. Time to stop the madness. Sorry, Just my opinion!
Yes, have to agree with you on this one. We have watched people leave their wheel chairs and come back loaded down with food and wait to be boarded first. The REAL PROBLEM with this is that the public lose respect and regard for the people who really do need to be in chairs to navigate through this world. But, there will always be nasty people who take advantage of the disadvantaged.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 01-06-2019, 10:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1941 View Post
I did it 2 days ago for $15.
Closed Thread

Tags
seat, southwest, bin, completely, choose

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.