Why Line Up For Processed Meat?

Closed Thread
Old 05-04-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
true story---at WD I asked for 1/2 lb of imported swiss. the lady gave me 1/2 of thuemans swiss. i said it doesn't matter but that's not imported swiss. she said yes it is , it's from new jersey. hmmmmmm
LOL! So does that work for people too? I am now not just a Jersey Girl, I am an exotic import from the overseas province of Jersey!
Old 05-04-2018, 12:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
That is disgusting. I usually put the piece of meat in my pocket and save it for later.
Okay, you owe me a new keyboard.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
That is the only thing I don't like about Publix, it takes forever to get to that counter but they do have good meats.
Just go on line before you leave for the store. Go to ordering to service meats and order away. It will be ready in a litte open frig off to the side of where they make the subs. You can also order subs this way.
Old 05-04-2018, 12:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Free stuff ................. Does anyone remember a Pizza store that opened in the Colony area some years ago?, as an opening perk they offered free pizza for a year and people started lining up outside the store at (I believe) midnight to get free pizza .......
I also heard about the line for the free pineapple when Sweetbay opened. Something I read the other day was Beall's had a grand opening in Opopka. They were giving away $100 coupon to the first 100 people in line. I cannot imagine what a disturbance this caused. I can see people getting trampled for this.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
Just a couple of random thoughts . . . . .

I would never order fresh food (deli, meats, fruit, vegetables) online. Never!
I want to choose my own and pick my own.
I want to see the deli meats and cheeses cut in front of me.
You just never know . . .

Also, I defy anyone to be able to tell the difference between Boar's Head from Publix brand, or even the various brands from the deli at Walmart.
By the time you choose your bread and add mustard, mayo, Miracle Whip, or whatever your choice is. you would never be able to know which is which.
I have done this "test" on friends and no one can ever tell the difference.
Those who think they can are simply a product of great marketing and advertising.
The difference in price simply isn't worth it.
Old school random thoughts......

Also, just because you can't tell the difference doesn't mean others can't. Not everyone eats deli meats with mustard, bread, mayo or whatever.

Based on trends, online ordering of food is growing. Mybe not your generation, but those behind you are growing that segment.

We give up a lot when we focus on price.....but that is part of the The Villages lifestyle.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-04-2018, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I shop at Publix a lot, and there are always people standing in line at the deli counter to have prepackaged, processed meat and cheese sliced and wrapped for them. But, I have found that you can buy basically the same type of products off the shelf already packaged. In fact, some of the small packaged products appear to be healthier than the stuff sold at the deli counter. Am I missing something?
Yes, I believe you are.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Maybe a little off topic, I don't know... Last winter or a little before, my friend told me that Winn-Dixie had started roasting turkey breasts, much the same as they roast whole chickens. You could order as little or as much as you liked. It was REAL turkey breast, and my husband said it tasted wonderful. He was scarfing it up. I was buying hunks of it and slicing it for his sandwiches, cubing it for salads, cutting it for fajitas, adding it to turkey chile--you name it.

Suddenly, early last spring, I got a hunk and noticed it looked ever so slightly pink. So I tasted it-- really salty, not like freshly roasted turkey. The next time I went in, I asked the meat counter person if it was being smoked. He said not at all. I took some home, and same look, same taste. I told my friend, and she had noticed it too. So obviously they had changed to some brand with some kind of additive or processing. Very disappointed, I quit buying it. We left TV soon after, but my friend told them she wasn't buying it anymore because they had changed to an inferior product.

I think you can tell a difference in product sometimes.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Free stuff ................. Does anyone remember a Pizza store that opened in the Colony area some years ago?, as an opening perk they offered free pizza for a year and people started lining up outside the store at (I believe) midnight to get free pizza .......
I had a garage sale before one move and had two nice, plastic milk cases filled with things like WD-40, brake/transmission fluid, radiator flush, etc., etc.

Although there was probably over $100 worth of stuff in the crates, I had marked the price as $10 for both.

It didn't sell, so I marked it down to $5.

Not wanting to make a special trip to the hazmat center for proper disposal, I marked it down to $1...and still no takers.

No sooner had I crossed out the $1 and marked them FREE, TWO guys rushed over at the same time...to grab them!

Just nuts.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:20 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
Just a couple of random thoughts . . . . .

I would never order fresh food (deli, meats, fruit, vegetables) online. Never!
I want to choose my own and pick my own.
I want to see the deli meats and cheeses cut in front of me.
You just never know . . .

Also, I defy anyone to be able to tell the difference between Boar's Head from Publix brand, or even the various brands from the deli at Walmart.
By the time you choose your bread and add mustard, mayo, Miracle Whip, or whatever your choice is. you would never be able to know which is which.
I have done this "test" on friends and no one can ever tell the difference.
Those who think they can are simply a product of great marketing and advertising.
The difference in price simply isn't worth it.
I can tell the difference but only if you marinate one brand in cheap vodka and the other in premium vodka.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
That is disgusting. I usually put the piece of meat in my pocket and save it for later.
Quote:
true story---at WD I asked for 1/2 lb of imported swiss. the lady gave me 1/2 of thuemans swiss. i said it doesn't matter but that's not imported swiss. she said yes it is , it's from new jersey.
You're rocking it today.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Or the lady that orders quarter pound and makes the meat server take off slice cause it was over 1/4 pounds.
So true! And then they ask for that slice to nibble on....
Old 05-04-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
H0w much later? I have found that BoarsHead Ham will last 2 days longer than Publix Ham!
Old 05-05-2018, 07:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs up Experience

My experience with the best, (after buying for more than 10 years in The Villages) are:
Publix Cooked Ham
Publix Top Round Roast Beef
Fresh Market Cooked Chickens
Culvers Ice Cream (Custard) - New one
Light House Fried Fish plate
Giovanni's Pasta
Oakwood Anything
Barnes and Noble Soup/Scones
Berry Farm Fresh Black and Blue berries
Chef Naple Iialian Bread/Pasta
I am sure others have a number of more but these are solid winners that I have never been disappointed with.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:50 AM
Platinum member

I also use the "order online" feature so that I simply walk up. pick up my already processed order, and move along. It works quite well. You need about a 30 minute lead time.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
I also use the "order online" feature so that I simply walk up. pick up my already processed order, and move along. It works quite well. You need about a 30 minute lead time.
Mrs. KC did the online ordering feature at the Publix deli today and , we'll never stand in line again to get our Boar's Head processed meat. She left the KC casa, brought me lunch, drove over to Publix and the meat was packaged and ready.

Tags
products, deli, counter, line, processed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.