Why are us retires getting a check?

Closed Thread
Old 03-28-2020, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choro&Swing View Post
I agree with you! (And my first Social Security check is supposed to be deposited in my bank account today!) You know what would be fun? Go to an ATM (several times), get a stack of twenties, and pass them out to people who work in restaurants, stores, etc. Walk around your favorite stores giving one to each employee you spot and saying “Thank you for your service.” We may not need that money, but some people sure do!
An excellent idea!

Old 03-28-2020, 08:39 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
I totally agree.

I definitely shouldn't be getting a penny...as it should be.
Look on the bright side, if you qualify for a check you can post a video on youtube giving benjamins out at Publix
Old 03-28-2020, 08:40 AM

our ss is so low we don't even file a return. our medical bills are so that we could use this money to pay some of them.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
If you were living on your income without the $1200.00 you don't need it--it will be in the form of a direct deposit if you are on SS--
Too bad there isn't a method to block the payment--I'm not being selfish, because we are above the income guidelines
It's not a "payment." It's not a work bonus. It's stimulus money. The point is to SPEND it. Hopefully you don't "need" it. But if you do, it'll help pay a bill or two. If you don't need it, THAT IS AWESOME! SPEND IT! Spend it on people who DO need it. Spend it on restaurants and supermarkets that are struggling because their employees are being laid off, reduced hours, having to work overtime when they're only part-time employees, just flat out need a bonus for the major butt-kicking they're receiving right now.

Give $1200 cash to the guy who delivers your gourmet dinner the week after the deposit arrives in your account, as a tip.

That's what this is FOR. It is for two things only:

1) for people who need it, to relieve some of that need.
2) for people who don't need it, to spend at places they want to see kept in business.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny32162 View Post
I have wondered the same thing, people who rely on tips for a large portion of their income need this more than. I do. I am looking for a charitable foundation, which provides needed funds to the most needy. I will donate my check to that organization. Yes, I will make sure that it is nit a scam organization.
You solved the issue of wondering what to do with the money in your first sentence, and then decided on a different solution. Seems pretty illogical and roundabout.

Why not give it to those people who rely on tips? Buy something from someone who relies on tips - and TIP them. Delivery people rely on tips. You can splurge on take-out every single day for a month, AND tip incredibly well in the process, use up every cent of that stimulus money, and still have enough left over for gas in the car when the virus has run its course and the country is back up and running again.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:55 AM

If fighting this virus is a war, we need to realize that time is more important than money. One of the expectations of government is to protect the people. If they had to take the time to ask or calculate who wants or needs the money, it would take a year. As a result of their quick action, the money will get to those who need it as well as to a percentage of those who do not. When the country is open for normal commerce again, spend it to help those hurt by the shutdown, pay off a debt, give it to a charity, or save it for a rainy day. There are many decisions made during war that are made to win the war, not to see that all is fair and even. Have you ever seen war videos of our troops pushing perfectly good helicopters off the deck of an aircraft carrier and into the ocean because the pilots and mechanics were being sent home to their families and there was no inexpensive way to get the equipment back to the states?
Old 03-28-2020, 08:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
Look on the bright side, if you qualify for a check you can post a video on youtube giving benjamins out at Publix
Hey CNM let me know when you get the check - I'll give you my schedule so you can slip me one of those benjamins while I'm bagging your groceries!
Old 03-28-2020, 08:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Payment is to stimulate the economy.

But with a large majority of 'goods' imported, whose economy is being stimulated the most?
Old 03-28-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
Being the OP on this topic, I can tell you that our gross income for 2019 was under 45K. That is for a married couple. And you can't spend money at a local business if they are closed.
Online ordering? Buy a gift card?
Maybe stores will open again?
Old 03-28-2020, 08:59 AM

Pay it Forward to our waiters that tack care of us that basically live of the TIPS they like i`am going to do when i get the money.....
Old 03-28-2020, 09:00 AM

because you are a u s retiree
Old 03-28-2020, 09:02 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
What a dumb idea! Pay all us retires $1200 for what? I'm not being affected financially at all by the virus pandemic. I will still get my SS check each month along with a pension check.
That money should be going to people that have been put out of work and are in need!
Nothing to prevent you from giving it to Salvation Army or those in need. In this crisis our minds need to be on solutions.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:02 AM

Bingo!
I don’t have a good pension or my wife.
Don’t want your money send it to me and I will put it towards my mortgage.
Have a lot of things I could use it for to buy and stimulate the economy.
I say
Thank you mr government for the gift
I only worked 45 years and paid taxes every year I worked
I will look at it as a rebate 😎
Old 03-28-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Why are retirees getting a check? The same reason the Kennedy Center is getting $25 million. Politics.
Exactly !
Old 03-28-2020, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
What a dumb idea! Pay all us retires $1200 for what? I'm not being affected financially at all by the virus pandemic. I will still get my SS check each month along with a pension check.
That money should be going to people that have been put out of work and are in need!

so donate your $1200 check to a local food bank

think outside the box
Closed Thread

Tags
check, retires, pension, money, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.