Why are us retires getting a check?

Closed Thread
Old 03-28-2020, 11:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray5258 View Post
i am hoping we get our checks. we don't get enough i S.S. to even file income tax . this would help pay for some of our medical bills. My hat gets tipped to the people who don't need the money.
I'm sorry that your finances are marginal, that must really suck. But they were marginal before we ever heard of COVID-19. So unless you had a job to supplement your income that you lost BECAUSE of the epidemic, your situation is unchanged. Therefore, why should you get any check? There are millions of workers supporting their families who suffered a major loss of income, that where the funds should be directed. This is not a Christmas gift, and should not go to anyone whose financial situation did not change. It should not go to non-US citizens or those on public assistance either, unless we want to subsidize the cigarette/beer/lottery ticket industries.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:55 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I'm sorry that your finances are marginal, that must really suck. But they were marginal before we ever heard of COVID-19. So unless you had a job to supplement your income that you lost BECAUSE of the epidemic, your situation is unchanged. Therefore, why should you get any check? There are millions of workers supporting their families who suffered a major loss of income, that where the funds should be directed. This is not a Christmas gift, and should not go to anyone whose financial situation did not change. It should not go to non-US citizens or those on public assistance either, unless we want to subsidize the cigarette/beer/lottery ticket industries.
Nailed It !
Old 03-28-2020, 12:07 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Gee that's funny, whenever I go to my local gas/convenience store I am always waiting in line behind fat white villagers buying 12 packs, 50 lotto games and a pack of camels who then jump into their $12k golf carts.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:09 PM

I'm using mine to buy tp, paper towels and a gun with ammo.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:13 PM

Its amazing to me that so many do not understand the reasoning behind the shecks that we will be receiving. These are not meant for helping those affected by the virus (ie,those that have been laid off). The checks are for SPENDING by everyone with the purpose of stimulating the economy. Hence the name - Stimulus Checks. Those who have lost jobs are being helped by the longer Unemployment Compensation times and upgraded minimum $ amounts.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
Gee that's funny, whenever I go to my local gas/convenience store I am always waiting in line behind fat white villagers buying 12 packs, 50 lotto games and a pack of camels who then jump into their $12k golf carts.
Yes, but they're buying it with their own money, not the taxpayer's
Old 03-28-2020, 12:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalnh View Post
Its amazing to me that so many do not understand the reasoning behind the shecks that we will be receiving. These are not meant for helping those affected by the virus (ie,those that have been laid off). The checks are for SPENDING by everyone with the purpose of stimulating the economy. Hence the name - Stimulus Checks. Those who have lost jobs are being helped by the longer Unemployment Compensation times and upgraded minimum $ amounts.
That's true IN THEORY, but when they give checks to people who don't need he money, it just ends up in their portfolio. I will be spending the same amount of money whether I get a check or not, so I plan on giving it to people WHO NEED IT---they're the ones that will spend it. In that scenario, it's OK to give it to people who are marginal on their SS alone, since they will spend it as well.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:39 PM
Default supplement income checks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
What a dumb idea! Pay all us retires $1200 for what? I'm not being affected financially at all by the virus pandemic. I will still get my SS check each month along with a pension check.
That money should be going to people that have been put out of work and are in need!
I may mistaken but have seen this on several web sites.

The $1200 checks will be payed back in the 2020 tax year as a deduction on our refunds or a increase in our tax debt. I read this to mean that if I was going to receive a $2,000 tax return next year I would first be debited the $1,200, and only receive $500 for my 2020 tax return. Not sure how they plan to handle the people who actually own taxes or do not receive a refund greater than the $1,200 but I for one plan on banking my $1,200 until I know for sure I won't be charged for it next year. Experience has shown that there is seldom a free lunch.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,714 Times in 5,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooned View Post
I may mistaken but have seen this on several web sites.

The $1200 checks will be payed back in the 2020 tax year as a deduction on our refunds or a increase in our tax debt. I read this to mean that if I was going to receive a $2,000 tax return next year I would first be debited the $1,200, and only receive $500 for my 2020 tax return. Not sure how they plan to handle the people who actually own taxes or do not receive a refund greater than the $1,200 but I for one plan on banking my $1,200 until I know for sure I won't be charged for it next year. Experience has shown that there is seldom a free lunch.
According to Clark Howard, who has read the entire bill, the checks will not be used to offset any current year or back taxes owed.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:13 PM

If you don't need it don't cash the check if it come's by mail or help someone in need.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:36 PM

Because we are able to retire and be financially secure, we then can do things like donate any "extra" money to, say ... local medical facilities to purchase need supplies or any NGO that helps those in need. I think this always applies, especially today: “‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me’”. Enjoy sharing your wealth!
Old 03-28-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
What a dumb idea! Pay all us retires $1200 for what? I'm not being affected financially at all by the virus pandemic. I will still get my SS check each month along with a pension check.
That money should be going to people that have been put out of work and are in need!
If you don’t need it, may I suggest you use it to support local businesses and to feed those in your area who are hungry.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:49 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,774 Times in 3,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear5770 View Post
If you don’t need it, may I suggest you use it to support local businesses and to feed those in your area who are hungry.

Exactly................spend it, donate it into the economy.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:52 PM

I'm sure hairdressers/dog groomers/housekeepers have lost clients or are not working at all due to closures. I'm also going to order takeout and give big tips to all the servers at our favorite restaurants. Then whatever is left I will send to local animal shelters and rescues.
Another idea to give to the needy: Wildwood school district is always hurting for school supplies, etc. A lot of the kids are at or near poverty levels. Just a thought.

Medicated Vet ... For your protection.
Quote from Boot Camp Company Commander: "I'm gonna have to issue you all plexi-glass belly buttons, so when you have your heads up your asses, you can at least see where you're going."
Old 03-28-2020, 01:55 PM

Donate it
Closed Thread

Tags
check, retires, pension, money, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.