Why are using IQ scores for placement in school, controversial now?

Closed Thread
Old 08-10-2018, 01:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Please note that no where in my comments do I refer to the student loans as a scam. My commentary is aimed at those who applied for and received loans, understanding their commitment/obligation to repay. Then, too many try to cry lack of affordability for having such an obligation and the beginning of their lives.
We all knew the financial obligation being undertaken when applying....no excuse for forgiving the loans....a bad practice from politicians working on building up a following!!

As in my original commentary, none of the above infers a scam.
I apologize...another poster used that word, not you.

Actually, that was not the point. You are making a very very GENERAL point that DOES NOT APPLY to the whole in any way at all.

I believe these opportunities have helped millions who contribute much to our country and society because this was afforded to them.

It seem LAZY on the part of our government, not those taking the loan to not even discuss or engage in public conversation about the good offered and changes that could be made and simply do away with it. Actually, at this point, with so much, it is just words but I believe our congress needs to wake up and GO TO WORK.

You just should not simply cancel programs because it is politically expediant. If you read the links I provided you will see this program of forgiving was introduced and founded on a great idea and basis....you have to work on jobs that benefited society or non profit to have the chance for forgiveness, and an attempt was made to put a ceiling on that with no luck.

Very short sight sided to simply cancel.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,414 Times in 5,106 Posts

I think that forgiving a student loan based on working for the Federal Government is absurd. A federal job is not "public service", it is a gravy train. I worked for the Federal Government because they paid more money, provided more benefits, and required less work than any other job I could find.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I think that forgiving a student loan based on working for the Federal Government is absurd. A federal job is not "public service", it is a gravy train. I worked for the Federal Government because they paid more money, provided more benefits, and required less work than any other job I could find.
I think instead of rash, incorrect statements, perhaps you should review the kind of forgiveness programs exist, and the requirements.

Discussing issues, sans real facts, is no discussion at all.

The Complete List of Student Loan Forgiveness Programs and Options | Student Loan Hero

And then weigh pros and cons, and if you still feel that this program, vital to so many successful and productive people, should be terminated...so be it, but do it based on facts, not high pitched verbal word cabbage.

I still believe the lazy ones are those who simply want to erase things from existence with no discussions.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
I think instead of rash, incorrect statements, perhaps you should review the kind of forgiveness programs exist, and the requirements.

Discussing issues, sans real facts, is no discussion at all.

The Complete List of Student Loan Forgiveness Programs and Options | Student Loan Hero

And then weigh pros and cons, and if you still feel that this program, vital to so many successful and productive people, should be terminated...so be it, but do it based on facts, not high pitched verbal word cabbage.

I still believe the lazy ones are those who simply want to erase things from existence with no discussions.
I'm confused. I don't think my statements were incorrect. Federal employment qualifies for student loan forgiveness of up to $60,000. OPM calls them loan payments, not loan forgiveness, but it amounts to the same thing. My only other point is my opinion that I think having a federal job is more of a benefit to the employee than to the Government. We don't need to offer an incentive to get people to accept federal jobs. They are in high demand.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:48 PM
TOTV Moderator

The original topic was using IQ scores for student placement. Please get back on topic or the thread will be closed.

If you wish to have a non political discussion about student loans, please feel free to start another thread.

Moderator.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I'm confused. I don't think my statements were incorrect. Federal employment qualifies for student loan forgiveness of up to $60,000. OPM calls them loan payments, not loan forgiveness, but it amounts to the same thing. My only other point is my opinion that I think having a federal job is more of a benefit to the employee than to the Government. We don't need to offer an incentive to get people to accept federal jobs. They are in high demand.
Incorrect, in general, no......misleading and in complete..yes they are.

Those four requirements are:

You must have received your Student Loan under the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program, and your loan may not be in, or have ever been in default

You must make 120, full, on-time and scheduled monthly payments on your Direct Loan (and only payments made after October 1st, 2007 will count toward the required 120)

You must make those 120 monthly payments while enrolled in a qualifying Federal Student Loan Repayment Plan

You must be, or have been working in a full-time position at a qualifying public service organization (any Government position counts) at the time each of those 120 monthly payments were mde.

I am offended at the general comments about those who have or ever had a student loan.

Ask who is and has been making money on these young people...Wall St for starters.

These are young people who simply wanted an education, could not afford it, and took out a student loan to make their life better.

In 2000, some recognized how the repayment, interest, etc was eating up these people, and a proposal was passed to allow forgiveness, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, all purported to be in the best interests of our country.

Allowing those who faithfully had made payments for TEN years and were working in what lawmakers considered non profit or public service jobs to have a way out made sense.

An attempt to cap the "forgiveness" was attempted during last administration but never made it even to the floor.

I just don't see the fairness of painting such a negative picture of people with no facts, and only vague generalities.

To simply cancel these programs and tell them to declare bankruptcy is, to me, a very lazy way out.

Why is there no discussion on the program itself. Posts on this limited thread simply paint a very false picture.

Discussion ..sure.....but to not even take up the issue, take remedial action where necessary is lazier than the picture being painted of those who use this chance to move on. Those who are making money on these young people sure must like this.

I realize as everyone seems overjoyed to point out that these folks knew their obligation....all the programs require the ten year on time payments....all the programs have a continuing and increasing interest rate...all the programs require a total repayment if default.....why is not our congress WORKING on discussing and resolving, or is cancellation with no discussion the new way
Old 08-10-2018, 03:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
The original topic was using IQ scores for student placement. Please get back on topic or the thread will be closed.

If you wish to have a non political discussion about student loans, please feel free to start another thread.

Moderator.
Sorry...the post that follows yours was being typed when yours was posted.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:15 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

I Q Tests are just a tool, not an end-all.

It measures how you did on a test that day and compares how other people did "on the same test" on a given day.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:36 PM
Sage

My experience with college is that having a high IQ is really not needed to get a college degree. College work, especially some college subjects, are so easy that a student's IQ has very little effect on being able to get a passing grade. However, those who get a college degree have a lifetime advantage over those who don't. I think it would be wrong to use IQ as a qualifier for college attendance. My opinion would change if colleges decided to become more challenging in their course requirements. But, as it is now, I would encourage any student to attend college and get a degree, regardless of their IQ. If you work hard enough, you can get the degree, and you will benefit from it.
Closed Thread

Tags
i.q, tests, score, people, school

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.