Why vote count so slow????

Closed Thread
Old 11-11-2022, 12:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralway View Post
Accuracy is better than speed
True. Looks like Arizona allows people to drop off their ballots up to the election day.

So. They are dealing with a lot of paperwork.
Old 11-11-2022, 01:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,900 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
Inability to count votes seems to be another symptom of governments' incompetence in many states. Florida has two time zones, and its votes are counted and reported in a matter of hours. Why can't Arizona, California and others?
CA has 4.7 M mailed in ballots, and they can't start counting until election day.
Then any ballot mailed up until and including election day is eligible, which means all ballots won't be received until about 5 days after election day.

its kind of the same with places like dunkin donuts where the store is organized for for walkins, but can get overwhelmed with order ahead orders such that the total orders can easily be double the store walkin capacity for the same period of time.

so some decisions sound great, but they don't scale well into operational efficiency

operations guy
Old 11-11-2022, 04:54 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,308 Times in 592 Posts

Just saw that for the election for mayor of Los Angeles, only 59% of the expected votes are in - three days after the election! They say it might take weeks to get the final tally. At this point, the lead is less than 3,000 votes!

There does seem to be a problem here.
Old 11-11-2022, 06:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,465 Times in 3,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
There never seemed to be any problems when everyone voted in person on Election Day?
Mail-in voting has been a thing since Colonial times. Since the 1700s, there has NEVER been a time when "everyone voted in person." People have been voting by mail since before the State of Florida was incorporated. Deployed military personnel, railroad employees, travelling salesmen, airline pilots - most of them are not in their "authorized" voting precinct on Election Day.
Old 11-11-2022, 07:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Where I vote you fill in a circle and place the ballot in a box that counts the number of ballots. At the end of the day the ballots run through a machine to count the votes. As long as the ballots at the end of the night match the total cast during the day all is good. Others use electronic ballots so the tallies are kept throughout the day. Anyone who is hand counting anything needs to move to the current century. Of course Trump could be out there hiding behind a curtain filling out ballots, lol.
Old 11-12-2022, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Why vote count so slow????
Why you ask um question like in bad old Western movie?🤔
Old 11-12-2022, 04:53 AM

Mail in ballots in our country are valid if postmarked the day of the election - slow mail - slow ballot count in close elections. No mystery.
Old 11-12-2022, 05:01 AM
Veteran member

Unlike Florida which is making it harder for people to vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hape2Bhr View Post
Baloney. I voted 2 weeks before Election Day after showing my ID (which every state should require).
Under Florida's new law, absentee voters must request a mail-in ballot every two years instead of every four years. And again, that's going to be taking effect going into the 2024 elections. And those ballot requests can even be retroactively canceled, meaning some voters might not realize that they're not automatically receiving a mail-in ballot because of that change to the vote-by-mail laws.
Old 11-12-2022, 05:45 AM
Default Harder to vote?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasr View Post
Because Arizona, California and other western states have made it EASIER to vote by allowing vote by mail ballots to be counted if they are posted marked by election day and received within a certain time limit.

Unlike Florida, which every election cycle is making it harder and harder for people to vote.

At least Florida does allow each county to count their absentee and early votes BEFORE the polls close on election day, which greatly speeds up the actual vote reporting on election night.

Just what is harder? People are given multiple early voting days, and if done properly mail in, and day of voting. If that's not easy enough people are just plain lazy, and making excuses. If there was a one day free 1000.00 check being given out and you had to come claim it, you bet it would have folks figuring out a way to get there, and they would do it...
Old 11-12-2022, 06:46 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
48 states (some more populated states) out-count two states, will they change their procedure or is it their way to be noticed, hmmm!

Another question, I'll bet that most Americans would rather see campaigns can their ads (most misleading) and put those bucks to better use. Ga. Campaigns $250,000 spent, yipsters!
I only watch Netflix and Amazon Prime. No network TV at all. I’m delighted to say that I didn’t see a single campaign ad on TV, though I did receive several dozen flyers in the mail which I tossed. Political campaigns seem to think that the more millions they put into TV ads, the more people will vote for their candidates. But do they? Yes, we need to know there is an election coming. We need to know the positions of candidates. But couldn’t that be better done by sending out a non-partisan pamphlet with a table that gives issues on the left column and candidates names at the top and checks off their specific positions? Instead of asking us for more millions for more ads, stop all the ads.

In my experience, virtually no one changes votes because of signs and ads. So why bother? Furthermore, people who believe TV political ads are so gullible that they may not be bright enough to deserve to vote.. When I have seen these ads in the past, ALL sides lie about the other side and claim to have done things they haven’t really done. Voting should be based on better information.
Old 11-12-2022, 07:00 AM

I suppose AZ will be checking for creases on those mail in ballots this time around? FL dropped the hanging chads, AZ learned what from 2020?
Old 11-12-2022, 07:07 AM
Default The Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
True. Looks like Arizona allows people to drop off their ballots up to the election day.

So. They are dealing with a lot of paperwork.
Because Arizonians don’t like to wait in line.

Also, AZ screwed up signature verification big time in 2020 so they are being very careful (i.e., slow) this time.

It all makes sense now.
Old 11-12-2022, 07:39 AM
Veteran member

Every vote that is fraudulent or eliminated illegally denies a citizen of their right to participate in an election. There should be the highest standards of validation and verification. I would hope that most people would agree but unfortunately about half the country doesn't.

The standards to ensure integrity should be as strict as when withdrawing money from a bank. Do you think that you could go to a teller and withdraw money without some sort of ID or verification? If they used the same slack standards of some of our states NO ID rules they could.

I keep hearing that there is no proof of election fraud. That is a ridiculous standard. The onus should be on election officials to prove beyond any reasonable doubt that there was not fraud. And who wouldn't suspect something is wrong when machines break down, poll monitors are thrown out, there are more votes than registered voters and ballots are dropped off in essentially unmonitored ballot boxes. And most of all when every attempt to do a thorough bipartisan audit is met with a firestorm of protest from the media, politicians and the FBI.

And when you takes days and weeks to count votes then you have a very flawed system and no I don't trust them. Trust for such a vital element of democracy has to be earned not taken for granted.
Old 11-12-2022, 07:43 AM

Quote:
48 states (some more populated states) out-count two states, will they change their procedure or is it their way to be noticed, hmmm!

Another question, I'll bet that most Americans would rather see campaigns can their ads (most misleading) and put those bucks to better use. Ga. Campaigns $250,000 spent, yipsters!
I think you have your numbers wrong: A total of ten billion ($10,000,000,000) was spent on all campaigns, including two hundred million ($200,000,000) on Beto O'Rourke for Texas governor. I suspect the Georgia campaigns spent about 1,000X the number you claim. Your point still applies.
Old 11-12-2022, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
Inability to count votes seems to be another symptom of governments' incompetence in many states. Florida has two time zones, and its votes are counted and reported in a matter of hours. Why can't Arizona, California and others?
Because those 2 states live in a state of confusion
Closed Thread

Tags
states, bet, americans, campaigns, question

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.