Will seldom visit TOTV in the future.

Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2018, 11:45 AM
Platinum member
Exclamation Will seldom visit TOTV in the future.

For a long time now, I've felt that advertisements of items for sale was taking over the postings on TOTV message board. Today it seems that 99.9% of the postings are items for sale.

I don't want or need anything that anybody else has for sale. That's why I don't go to garage sales or flea markets.

I also don't want to waste hours of my time wading through items advertised for sale on TOTV.

Accordingly, I will seldom visit TOTV in the future.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:48 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

click on "hide"............it should clean that up for you.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I'm going to miss you, Carl, you are often the voice of reason. I hope you change your mind. Take Care!
Old 09-14-2018, 12:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,022 Times in 454 Posts

Say it ain't so.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:00 PM

The sales items do clutter the new post page up badly. Like someone posted to sell a beach blanket and a towel today. Seriously?
Old 09-14-2018, 01:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

It used to be you could opt out of classifieds for good. Then TOTV did one of their upgrades and you couldn't. People complained a lot. Now they have an opt out button "Hide Classifieds," but unfortunately you have to click on it every time you log in or refresh the page or go to New Posts. I don't know why they haven't fixed this, but I wonder if they don't want to.

In any event, Hide Classifieds works, but you must click on it every time. Maybe money talks; I don't really know. I don't hardly ever agree with you, and I know it's reciprocal , but I do appreciate your input and respect your ideals. I hope you will keep posting, and I always wish you well.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,125 Times in 2,240 Posts

I find that I sign in , go to new posts, and hit the HIDE button, this drops about 1/2 to 2/3 of the new "posts", then I read the real posts, hope you find this useful and continue to visit.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
click on "hide"............it should clean that up for you.
First thing to do is click on "Hide Classifieds" after going to New Posts.

Really value your input Carl in Tampa. Hope you will change your mind.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:37 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,511 Times in 710 Posts

The internet is not free, content providers rely on advertising dollars to pay for bandwidth, hardware, and the labor to provide the “free” content you enjoy. Some websites are more annoying than other (I can think of a local “news “ site in particular), you have the choice of visiting or not visiting almost any website you want, for free. I may click on an add once a month at most, the rest I endure and ignore.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 09-14-2018, 01:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Each to his own.

I personally find the classifieds to be one of the more useful sections of TOTV and have acquired several items that I would not otherwise have bothered to buy.

I am not interested in posts discussing whether or not people like pot roast, but find it easy to scroll past these without being tempted to read them.

Having one site that offers so many different topics is an asset to our community.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
It used to be you could opt out of classifieds for good. Then TOTV did one of their upgrades and you couldn't. People complained a lot. Now they have an opt out button "Hide Classifieds," but unfortunately you have to click on it every time you log in or refresh the page or go to New Posts. I don't know why they haven't fixed this, but I wonder if they don't want to.

In any event, Hide Classifieds works, but you must click on it every time... .
Nothing to fix. By hitting the HIDE CLASSIFIED button you are running a search script. The results will appear and give you multiple pages to advance to, all without classifieds.

You log on again and must run this preprogrammed search again. When you hit the NEW POSTS button you are running a new search.

Carl,

While I do not agree with some of your posts, I have considered them well written, concise, and logically thought out. (Unlike many rashly written threads I find here.)

I also believe you have threatened this before?

Last edited by SFSkol; 09-14-2018 at 02:08 PM. Reason: clarity?
Old 09-14-2018, 03:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkol View Post
Nothing to fix. By hitting the HIDE CLASSIFIED button you are running a search script. The results will appear and give you multiple pages to advance to, all without classifieds.

You log on again and must run this preprogrammed search again. When you hit the NEW POSTS button you are running a new search.

Carl,

While I do not agree with some of your posts, I have considered them well written, concise, and logically thought out. (Unlike many rashly written threads I find here.)

I also believe you have threatened this before?
I disagree with you. In the past, you could opt to Hide Classifieds and it was saved as one of your options forever. Not anymore.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:53 PM
Sage

I have no more use for the ads than you do. And I bet the majority of users feel the same. But the “Hide Classifieds” button will take care of it. A quick click on that button will get rid of all the for-sale posts.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
Each to his own.
I am not interested in posts discussing whether or not people like pot roast, but find it easy to scroll past these without being tempted to read them.
Having one site that offers so many different topics is an asset to our community.
I totally agree!
Old 09-14-2018, 05:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I disagree with you. In the past, you could opt to Hide Classifieds and it was saved as one of your options forever. Not anymore.
With all due respect, I think the post you disagreed with is correct. They didn't say it was a setting that hid classifieds forever. It's just a button you click every time you log on. Not too big an effort imho.
Closed Thread

Tags
sale, totv, items, postings, future

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.