Winn Dixie vs Publix

Closed Thread
Old 04-30-2019, 12:34 PM
Veteran member
Default Winn Dixie vs Publix

Interesting piece from ABC news. YMMV

Stay Up & Save: Publix vs. Winn Dixie | firstcoastnews.com

Aldi has much better prices on milk, eggs, and cheese!
Old 04-30-2019, 05:34 PM
Sage

I would weigh in on Aldi and Neighborhood Walmart. Never used to be a fan of either but since Aldi has increased store sizes (also remodeled) they've added much more and our pocketbook shows great results. We do a fair amount at the N.W. too... Depending on what we're needing. Seems since it's just the 2 of us---we shop as we run out of stuff rather than the "big" shopping we used to. I've never added up what our monthly expenditures are---perhaps I should do that. I used to shop solely at Publix---but haven't been in one in over a year. Winn-Dixie---for a quick stop if I'm passing by and only needing an item or two.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,420 Times in 5,110 Posts

For non-food and non-perishable items, I order a lot of things from Amazon.com. They have a Prime Pantry section that offers free shipping on orders over 35 dollars, and I don't think you need to be a Prime member. Everything is delivered to your house in one big box in a few days. Very easy and inexpensive.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

As we have aged and our lives have changed, so has our shopping style. I use Aldis for weekly necessities; their price and quality for eggs, milk, butter, cheese, cereal, vegetables cannot be beaten by any other local store. We use Sam's for bulk paper goods and wines and I use Publix for my drugs and the extra goodies that we just like. Publix has excellent sales and I watch those carefully. I don't know why I still shop with cost uppermost in mind, because we no longer have to do that, I guess it is ingrained from the years when I needed to watch the pennies. We are surrounded by excellent food suppliers, plus online merchants, and it has become somewhat of a game for me. I rarely stay within my weekly budget, but I enjoy trying!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-01-2019, 09:06 AM
Default Different strokes for different folks

I used to laugh at OLD PEOPLE making food shopping an adventure.

Who is that old guy looking back at me in the mirror?

Food shopping? I'm trying to make it to the OLYMPICS.
Weds the fliers for Aldis, Winn Dixie and Publix come in.
Sat morning by GOLF CART, we hit the farmers market, then Winn Dixie later Publix. Aldis starts their sales on weds can't get there by golf cart so that stop in combined with some other trip.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Publix and Walmart because there closer to me.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:59 AM
Veteran member

I've switched from Publix almost exclusively to Walmart since they introduced grocery pick-up. It's free and no tipping. I buy mostly the less expensive WM branded products. My grocery spending had gone down by $50-$60 a month due to cheaper prices and no impulse buying.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:45 PM
Sage

I needed a little red cabbage for a recipe I was making for a small group. Aldi didn't have any that day. Publix at Colony had only one head of red cabbage and it was a monster at 5 lbs. and totaled $8.00 in price! So off we went to the neighborhood Walmart, where we found several smaller heads for around $2. DH does most of the grocery shopping and loves to lecture anyone who will listen to him about Publix's prices.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth View Post
I used to laugh at OLD PEOPLE making food shopping an adventure.

Who is that old guy looking back at me in the mirror?

Food shopping? I'm trying to make it to the OLYMPICS.
Weds the fliers for Aldis, Winn Dixie and Publix come in.
Sat morning by GOLF CART, we hit the farmers market, then Winn Dixie later Publix. Aldis starts their sales on weds can't get there by golf cart so that stop in combined with some other trip.
I think part of the fun of shopping here is the availability of so many stores. We first retired in NH and my nearest store was an hour away, and in the summer I had to fight the flatlanders to get there (similar to snowbirds). Here I have three stores within 10 mins of my home and even more if I am willing to travel about 20 mins. What's not to like about that?

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-01-2019, 05:28 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I think part of the fun of shopping here is the availability of so many stores. We first retired in NH and my nearest store was an hour away, and in the summer I had to fight the flatlanders to get there (similar to snowbirds). Here I have three stores within 10 mins of my home and even more if I am willing to travel about 20 mins. What's not to like about that?
We are, indeed, blessed. Sometimes we forget. Thanks for pointing it out.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

So far we have shopped at Publix as it is the closest to us. Unfortunately they do not carry Krispy Kreme donuts so we staff in Winn Dixie for those. Not a fan of Walmart meet so not sure we would shop there.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:15 PM
Platinum member

overpriced publix, lazy winndixie employees and dirty stores, or low priced walmart, walmart anytime.
Closed Thread

Tags
prices, milk, cheese, eggs, aldi

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.