Worse Lovebug season in a long time?

Closed Thread
Old 09-23-2013, 02:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post
Does anyone else feel that this is the worse love bug season we've had in a long time??? I don't know if its our pond behind our houses, but my house and my neighbors are literally swarming with love bugs. They look like they are building nests and are completely covering my neighbors back door to her lanai and her windows. Its awful. We sprayed yesterday with long-shot wasp spray and many died but they are back again today in abundance. I never remember them swarming houses and its not even a white house?? Can't wait for this season to end.
I went to the post office today and they were swarming so bad you had to swat them away to walk inside and then back to your car.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:35 PM
Default love bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbaru View Post
New to all this. Buying a new home next month. Went by our completed home and noticed many dead love bugs in the lanai. Is it normal for them to get into a lanai? I realize a worker may have propped the door open but I doubt it as the home has been complete for a week. These bugs were not there a week ago. Should I be concerned?

I sure hope this is a heavy season.
no it is not unusual to see them in your lanai, you will see getkos and I had a small frog. I do not mind them there as long as they stay out there. I always think these bugs are worse in May but they are pretty bad this sept. Maybe all the rain. I call them Humpbugs and they really are gross they just get on you and stay. They should be gone soon.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:28 PM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by drooney60@hotmail.com View Post
I was driving in my golf cart going to my aerobic class the other day and one of the love bugs flew into my mouth!!!! I just about fainted!!!
I shouldn't do this, but I'm LMAO!!! My greatest fear!!

I do get them in my hair and don't realize it until I'm showering, EWWWWWWWWW!!! I do think they have a sticky substance on them because when you try to flick them off you, its almost impossible. The other day, driving from Belleview, a mated couple, LOL, got on my side window and no matter how fast I drove, I couldn't get them to fall off. They were like glued... the poor male he was worn out at the end of the ride, hahahahahaha...

EDIT: hey no dirty comments about the last sentence,,, remember the Moderator is watchinggggggg.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 09-23-2013, 04:02 PM
Sage

I agree Kathie. 60 years in Florida and I don't remember them this bad. Two weeks ago we went to Destin Fl. and the bugs on I 10 were miserable. We stopped at a Subway for lunch and the bugs were swarming so bad that every time someone opened the door a dozen of them came inside. We had to stop often to wash them off the windshield.
Here at the neighborhood pool them swarm so bad that it's hard to dry off without them sticking to your towel.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts
Default Anole on board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post
I shouldn't do this, but I'm LMAO!!! My greatest fear!!

I do get them in my hair and don't realize it until I'm showering, EWWWWWWWWW!!! I do think they have a sticky substance on them because when you try to flick them off you, its almost impossible. The other day, driving from Belleview, a mated couple, LOL, got on my side window and no matter how fast I drove, I couldn't get them to fall off. They were like glued... the poor male he was worn out at the end of the ride, hahahahahaha...

EDIT: hey no dirty comments about the last sentence,,, remember the Moderator is watchinggggggg.

I was about to go to the Lynnhaven Postal Center a few days ago in the golf cart. The golf cart is parked in the garage. I saw that I had an additional passenger; including my dog there were three souls on the golf cart. The third one was a small lizard about two and a half inches long. He just stayed on the front of the golf cart near where meets the cart the all the way to the postal center. I wonder if he would have got any love bugs coming onto the cart. He then made it all the way back at which point a left him in some greenery after shooing him off of his perch.

Maybe, we should all have anoles on board?
Old 09-23-2013, 06:52 PM
Sage

Unfortunately, the love bugs are not part of the anole diet nor do any birds like to eat the love bugs. I guess that very acidic "juice" that will eat into your car paint just does not taste good.

Back in the 'burbs of DC, we would get twice yearly swarmings of stink bugs. Quite a bit bigger than a love bug and even though they did no damage, they would get into the house and fly around lights. The first year they appeared was about 7 years ago. Birds were excited and ate some. After that, no birds ever tried it again.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

are they gone yet?
Old 09-23-2013, 08:26 PM

I was at Sam's last week, the lovebugs were out in force.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:25 PM
Sage

I wonder why they came in April and September this year instead of the usual May and October.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.