Would you get rid of your lawn if it was allowed?

Closed Thread
Old 11-25-2019, 05:17 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
If we didn't have lawns or green spaces can you imagine how much hotter it would be here? Just take a golf cart ride around Court Yard Villas
I swear I love you, but the temp difference would be zero.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:29 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,252 Times in 424 Posts

I like my small lawn in my back yard and so do the birds.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:34 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Prior to living here we were in Tennessee. I never watered my yard at all and none of our neighbors did either. We lived in 4 different neighborhoods and I did not see one yard being watered. I lived in Iowa for a number of years and no one there watered their lawns either so where are all these lawns located that are using so much water? I believe there is a bit of exaggeration with these number thrown out by the EPA.
Old 11-25-2019, 05:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,354 Times in 2,508 Posts

The few Florida Gardens I have seen round TV, are not so much 'natural,' more like...... 'out of control.'
Giving up using plastic bags will do more good for the enviroment, than stopping watering your lawn!
....and yes we have!
Old 11-25-2019, 06:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,455 Times in 3,086 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
The few Florida Gardens I have seen round TV, are not so much 'natural,' more like...... 'out of control.'
Giving up using plastic bags will do more good for the enviroment, than stopping watering your lawn!
....and yes we have!
My reason for ditching the lawn is because I consider lawns unattractive and artificial-looking. By artificial I mean that literally, not figuratively. They look like under-trimmed astroturf. And they might as well be, for all you can do with them, which is absolutely nothing. They serve no function at all, and they require a lot of maintenance. You can't pick up a patch of St. Augustine or Zoysa and stick it in a vase to decorate the dining room table. You can't pluck a few blades to crumble into your pasta sauce.

Unfunctional green stuff on sand is as attractive to me as mildew stains on the ceiling is to pretty much everyone.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

If there were no lawns where would all the dogs poop?
Old 11-25-2019, 06:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Up north I love going barefoot in our blue grass lawn. 1/2 acre of perfectly trimmed lawn, that is so soft. Watered 3 times a week for 20 minutes per zone. Water bill for June, July, August is $93.

Here you can’t go barefoot cause the grass is crunchy, and then there is the possibility of fire ants. Friends have a CYV with up scale man made turf. It was not cheap, even has various height grass, to look very realistic. I would love to do the same.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
If getting rid of my lawn would benefit mankind, I would drop it like a bad habit.
I want to add in here, that if we would stop thinking of ourselves so much and consider what would be best for all, this would be a better world. Just because we Villagers can afford to pay high prices for water, don’t forget those less fortunate on the outskirts of our paradise. If my plush lawn is taking away their drinking water, then I will go Arizona rock yard.
But it isn't taking away their drinking water.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:07 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
My reason for ditching the lawn is because I consider lawns unattractive and artificial-looking. By artificial I mean that literally, not figuratively. They look like under-trimmed astroturf. And they might as well be, for all you can do with them, which is absolutely nothing. They serve no function at all, and they require a lot of maintenance. You can't pick up a patch of St. Augustine or Zoysa and stick it in a vase to decorate the dining room table. You can't pluck a few blades to crumble into your pasta sauce.

Unfunctional green stuff on sand is as attractive to me as mildew stains on the ceiling is to pretty much everyone.
You do realize taste is subjective and many would find your method of “ decorating” your yard ugly. To each their own.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:12 PM
Sage

Quote:

I think lawns are lovely. I don't like a bunch of junk in people's yards. And junk strewn around trees that some think are lovely. I think what people find beautiful is very interesting and very personal. I think some people have more or less innate visual taste. And some have very little affinity for what is beautiful at all, or clean, or orderly.

beautiful lawns in florida - Bing images

Junk in yards with weeds. - Bing images

I think people who campaign against nice lawns are not so much environmentalists but perhaps allergic to the work and effort it takes to maintain a beautiful home and yard.

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-25-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

If you're against lawns the Lofts at Brownwood will be ready soon.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2019, 07:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
You do realize taste is subjective and many would find your method of “ decorating” your yard ugly. To each their own.
Yes, I realize that. This thread seems to be an exercise, a "what if" scenario. You can keep your lawn if you like, but if we were allowed and I could afford it (both of these things would have to be true), I would get rid of mine and replace it with some other kind of landscape.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
If you're against lawns the Lofts at Brownwood will be ready soon.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I'm not "against" them. I just think they're ugly, pointless, and unnecessary. You might think wildflowers are ugly, pointless, and unnecessary - and that's fine, you don't have to grow them.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
I'm not "against" them. I just think they're ugly, pointless, and unnecessary. You might think wildflowers are ugly, pointless, and unnecessary - and that's fine, you don't have to grow them.
This view will be received in different ways by your neighbors I am sure.

Most people who live in your part of town have meticulously kept lawns.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

I don't understand how watering a lawn is considered wasting water? The water gets pumped up from an underground aquifer and sprinkled onto the lawn. The water then gets absorbed into the ground and eventually percolates it's way back down into the grounds aquifers. All that happens is that the water gets temperairly displaced before it eventually returns into the ground water system. Unless the water gets put into a capsule and is shot up into space, all water used remains inside the earths atmosphere where it eventually finds its way back into the water supply, nothing wasted.
Closed Thread

Tags
lawns, million, year, gas, percent

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.