Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, Non Villages Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/)
-   -   Would you get rid of your lawn if it was allowed? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-non-villages-discussion-93/would-you-get-rid-your-lawn-if-allowed-300235/)

twoplanekid 11-28-2019 07:54 AM

Grass seems to be the exception here. :icon_wink:

Access to this page has been denied.:icon_wink:

OrangeBlossomBaby 11-28-2019 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twoplanekid (Post 1697760)
Grass seems to be the exception here. :icon_wink:

Access to this page has been denied.:icon_wink:

Not sure why you'd bring up Arizona - it's a completely different climate. Sun City is a desert town in an arid desert state. Growing grassy lawns there would be truly wasteful because they literally don't have enough water to maintain it. Water is a premium there. Not sure why they don't have desert-friendly stuff on their lawns like cactii and flowering sage and the like, it looks sparse.

eyc234 11-28-2019 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aces4 (Post 1697724)
Perfect example of why it doesn’t normally work. You either need pros or someone in a group dedicated to the style. Most people don’t want to focus that hard at this age to maintain all that.

Pine straw has been discussed previously on TOTV and it can create a fire hazard, attract bugs and vermin when close to homes. Weeds still grow through it, it has to be replaced often and probably works fine in the public spaces here where they are constantly reapplying it, spraying for bugs and have rat traps set.

So what is the difference in paying to have yard mowed, fertilized, bug sprayed, chemicals to stop disease and beds weeded vs putting down pinestraw. It is also false about attracting bugs and vermin. A fire hazard possibly but not very likely.

graciegirl 11-28-2019 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby (Post 1697727)
Most things worthwhile take effort. Whether you pay someone else to do the effort on your behalf, or you do it yourself, or gather like-minded people to embrace a group effort. Just like perfectly manicured grass lawns take effort to maintain.

I agree with the pine needles but there are alternatives, and bugs and vermin are usually not a problem with a properly maintained naturescape. You plant things that naturally attract pollinators, and either repel pests, or attract other animals that will consume the pests (such as common snakes found all over the Villages). Again - it takes effort.

Bugs and vermin are staples in all areas of lawn here.

Lawn Insect Pests - Gardening Solutions - University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences

Fire Ants and Lovebugs and others are seasonal, but some are year around. Most of us are grateful for pesticides. Even tiny ants rise out of the bath drain at times. And Palm Trees and Fruit trees and feeding birds attract Rattus Rattus.

graciegirl 11-28-2019 08:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyc234 (Post 1697708)
Then go look at the native plant society club and they have lots of great looking yards. Also it is very easy to stop most weeds and grass. Use pine straw it smothers weeds, stops seeds from germinating, adds organic matter and keeps soil moist. Look inn all the beds in public spaces not much grass or weeds.

Home - TheVillages

Scdet 11-28-2019 09:01 AM

We own a home in the keys also and have all peacock, it's wonderful, no watering, cutting, or fertilizing.

graciegirl 11-28-2019 09:19 AM

One of the reasons pesticides and insecticides are needed here in our lawns.

Fire Ants - Gardening Solutions - University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences

JimJohnson 11-28-2019 09:20 AM

This has been a long thread and I have enjoyed reading the variety of reply’s. The best thing I got from it has been that we can and should respect all ideas. Thanks to the OP for a great discussion topic.

JimJohnson 11-28-2019 09:23 AM

Just for information.
Ants really hate vinegar, and you can make a cheap, easy pesticide just using vinegar and water. Mix a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water in a spray bottle. Spray it directly onto the ants to kill them, then wipe up the ants using a damp paper towel and discard them.

tophcfa 11-28-2019 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimJohnson (Post 1697800)
Just for information.
Ants really hate vinegar, and you can make a cheap, easy pesticide just using vinegar and water. Mix a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water in a spray bottle. Spray it directly onto the ants to kill them, then wipe up the ants using a damp paper towel and discard them.

Or just dump boiling water on them.

courtyard 11-28-2019 12:00 PM

If I were allowed to rock out my front and back lawns, I would save $1,200 a year for mowing, fertilizing, pesticiding services...not to say how much watering money I would save, too.

ROCKETMAN 11-28-2019 12:14 PM

I would get rid of my lawn in a heart beat. We have Souza and we’re the first block to get it in 2005. I have had all the big name lawn people and never could get it right with every excuse in the world. Not enough water, too much water, bugs, etc. Have tru green now who do a descent job and cheaper than most

graciegirl 11-28-2019 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROCKETMAN (Post 1697855)
I would get rid of my lawn in a heart beat. We have Souza and we’re the first block to get it in 2005. I have had all the big name lawn people and never could get it right with every excuse in the world. Not enough water, too much water, bugs, etc. Have tru green now who do a descent job and cheaper than most

John Phillip?

patfla06 12-05-2019 07:16 PM

Absolutely not.