Xfinity Stream....get rid of rental equipment

Closed Thread
Old 08-18-2022, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
Not true! YouTube records to the cloud which requires internet bandwidth. “YouTube TV's cloud DVR storage is unlimited and requires no extra fees.”

The only way you won’t use internet bandwidth for recordings is if you have a receiver with a built in hard disk, ALL other recordings using the upload internet bandwidth which is very slow in TV. I have xfinity 1.2G network speed internet hitch is only the download speed, upload speed is 20-30M.
We record 5-6 shows simultaneously and this chews up internet bandwidth.
Are you sure about that? It's recording in the cloud, why would the stream come through to your router and back out to YoutubeTV's servers if it's stored in the cloud? And with 1.2G network speed down (overkill unless you are running torrents or bitcoin mining) you could stream 30 programs concurrently and not notice anything.
Old 08-18-2022, 02:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
We've been using Comcast for internet and Roku for streaming since early 2015. I don't understand the need for Xfinity streaming, period.
We have two TV sets; one in the living room, one in the "man cave (the insulated laundry shed outside).

We have a ROKU stick on the living room TV, and the Xfinity flex device in the cave. Why? Because the flex device was free and hubby only wants to watch certain channels when he's in there, and we don't need a whole service for that.

We have YouTubeTV for streaming service on anything that doesn't already come with the devices, and I have Amazon Prime Video as a "premium" service.

I also watch TV on my computer sometimes, but usually I just watch movies and reruns and Prime video shows.

Everything works fine, but the Flex with Xfinity streaming is very limited. But it comes with our internet service, which we only pay $50/month for, so it's all good.
Old 08-18-2022, 02:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboutj View Post
Are you sure about that? It's recording in the cloud, why would the stream come through to your router and back out to YoutubeTV's servers if it's stored in the cloud? And with 1.2G network speed down (overkill unless you are running torrents or bitcoin mining) you could stream 30 programs concurrently and not notice anything.
Correct, using the DVR capability to record a channel from YouTube TV or Hulu Live does not use any bandwidth at all. The data generated by YouTube or Hulu goes directly into storage without coming into your home at all.

You need bandwidth to watch the shows but that is true for all streaming whether it is Netflix, Hulu Live or YouTube DVR.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-18-2022, 02:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I am continually in the process of reducing our television/internet monthly billing.

I learned a couple of things today from Xfinity/Comcast.

If I choose Xfinity auto pay it is a $10 per month credit.

By switching to Xfinity Streaming I can eliminate all set top box rentals....we have three @ $8.50 per month....$25.50 savings per month.

So now I am trying to educate myself how user friendly Xfinity Streaming is and does it allow all record and watch features (as with set top box/DVR).

With the above two actions I could reduce my Comcast monthly bill by $35.50.

I have found so far that Xfinity Stream is not compatible with Vizio smart television sets....but can be accessed via Apple TV.

I have downloaded the Xfinity stream app to my iphone and ipad....all functions and channels seem to be available to stream with no problem.

Other questions I have are related to ability to record as with set top box/dvr?

Anybody using Xfinity Stream please share your thoughts.
My bill recently jumped from about 140 to 170. That included internet/cable/phone bundle with very basic cable, 2 dvr cable boxes and 300 speed on the internet. My first attempt to reduce my cost went nowhere. I called back later and said “cancel” into the automated system. Quickly a woman answered my call and came up with a few suggestions, some that would work for me and others that wouldn’t. By giving up my landline, reducing my internet speed to 100, streaming XFinity and buying my own modem I would save some money. I settled on no landline, 100 speed and my bill went to a low $130 including limited dvr storage for both boxes. I was hesitant to reduce my internet speed but so far so good. They continue to provide Peacock as well as my modem.

If you do decide to stream XFinity you will likely need a Roku or Firestick. Streaming can be frustrating and speed is important if you are planning to stream, use gaming devices or if there are several people in the house. Remember when tv was free? Remember when everyone was concerned about the “Ma Bell” phone monopoly? Those days are gone…but they were the good old days. I wish you luck.
Old 08-18-2022, 03:07 PM
Veteran member

While we are on the subject, does anyone use Hulu and can you get local news stations? Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 08-18-2022, 03:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaNi4os View Post
While we are on the subject, does anyone use Hulu and can you get local news stations? Inquiring minds want to know.
Hulu Live has the local affiliates for the three major networks. What news stations are you interested in?

YouTube TV should have the same local channels and is worth comparing to Hulu Live

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 08-19-2022, 10:15 AM

Yes
Old 08-19-2022, 03:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,901 Times in 914 Posts

you may be saving money now, but just wait, the cost of internet service will continue to rise. its cheaper right now because you are already getting internet, and its up to you to have the correct equipment, versus being supplied with equipment. So the cost to deliver service just dropped for the cable company. . . and once everyone has internet and no boxes, the price will start to rise for upgrade equipment to keep up with the ever growing demand and people joining your neighborhood circuit
Closed Thread

Tags
xfinity, stream, top, set, month

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.