Are you interested in the Japan 2020 OLYMPICS?

Closed Thread
Old 07-24-2021, 07:34 AM

Not if the athletes from the U S A kneel when the flag is presented
Old 07-24-2021, 07:37 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
me, not so much - and I must say...yet.

Much of the 'luster' of Olympic games are tarnished, for me.

First the 1-year delay in holding the Games due to Covid. Then the decision not to have ANY public attend the Games. Then the issues re some USA athletes and the anthem. Then, in the last couple weeks Covid has arisen in Japan, impacting some athletes. And of course the non-Live issue of holding the Games in Asia. So we'd already know results - such as the Women's soccer team losing 3-0 to Sweden - so....why tune in and watch? With all this NBC must be sweating after their $$$$$ investment.

I will probably do 'selective tuning-in'.

But I certainly enjoyed Wimbeldon tennis and the golf Open in England, even the Euro soccer championship. time will tell with the Olympics. I've been to Japan 10 times during my business career, and love the country, the people, and their spirit. But they can't catch a break re the Olympics.
and now near Japan>>>>

Typhoon could impact Tokyo Games

Tokyo Games officials are confident about rescheduling Olympic events should a typhoon hit the Japanese capital next week.

Forecasters have warned there is a "medium chance" for "potential tropical development" and believe the storm may hit Tokyo itself.

Games organisers have already moved rowing events due to be held on Monday, adding them into the schedule for Saturday and Sunday, because of the weather forecast.

"You have to have a very close look at the schedule. See when you can resume competition that can be affected or not," said Olympic Games executive director Christophe Dubi.

Old 07-24-2021, 08:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I agree with LookingforNextWife. Although I have no interest in The Olympics, there are sports from my hometown team that I have enjoyed watching and following for decades.

The majority of athletes have not insulted the country. Most do not participate in these protests.

I'm not going to allow these few individuals to take away something that I enjoy and look forward to.

My feeling is that if I stop watching, they win.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-24-2021, 04:56 PM
Default Are You Interested in the 2020 Olympics?

Quote:

First the 1-year delay in holding the Games due to Covid. Then the decision not to have ANY public attend the Games. Then the issues re some USA athletes and the anthem. Then, in the last couple weeks Covid has arisen in Japan, impacting some athletes. And of course the non-Live issue of holding the Games in Asia. So we'd already know results - such as the Women's soccer team losing 3-0 to Sweden - so....why tune in and watch? With all this NBC must be sweating after their $$$$$ investment.

But I certainly enjoyed Wimbeldon tennis and the golf Open in England, even the Euro soccer championship. time will tell with the Olympics. I've been to Japan 10 times during my business career, and love the country, the people, and their spirit. But they can't catch a break re the Olympics.

I'm probably going to get more enjoyment from watching the 4th season of "Black Sails". This is the final season. Someone on TOTV suggested it a few months ago and it's terrific. It's based on Robert Louis Stevenson's book "Treasure Island". Lots of special effects on the high seas, storms, sword fighting, pirates who have taken over the island of Nassau, and the introduction of famous pirates Long John Silver and Black Beard.
Old 07-24-2021, 05:36 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

I DVRd some of the Olympics. FastForwarded thru much of it - esp the soccer etc.

However my attention was caught by one sport in particular.. Two words...

Beach Volleyball.

Now that's a sport to behold...
Old 07-24-2021, 06:12 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

I'm watching as many events as possible. I am also very proud of our true American patriots, who have the courage to peacefully protest, in front of the whole world, inequality, prejudice and racism - by simply kneeling. All in spite of the criticism by those who don't understand, or refuse to accept, the deep racial problems we still have here in the US of A. At least in Tokyo, they don't have to worry about being assaulted with tear gas, batons, dogs or rubber bullets.
Old 07-24-2021, 06:37 PM

No interest at all

Yoda
Old 07-24-2021, 06:58 PM
Platinum member

The Olympics has 3 on 3 half-court basketball. What's next, marbles, capture the flag, or tag?
Old 07-24-2021, 07:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

No, don’t want to see protest stuff.
Old 07-24-2021, 07:46 PM

For those who did not see one of the best Olympic opening ceremonies, in China of 2008, 2,008 musicians played the fou, an ancient Chinese percussion instrument, in perfect synchronicity. Legend has it, due to the complexity of the details, the musicians could not get it perfect for any of the rehearsals. Opening night, it was a total successful blow-out. the clip is 3.36 minutes if you have not seen it, you will not regret it. Jack up the volume on your speakers. Let me know what you think, thank you. Link is below

The sound of 2008 people drumming to the same beat | Opening Ceremony Beijing 2008 - YouTube
Old 07-24-2021, 07:50 PM

Because there is a 13 hour time difference, much of the Prime Time showing are more live than many former Olympics. As far as thinking they are too Political, that is completely in your own mind and BS hype being tossed about.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
Just because they are young doesn't mean they are right. And just because we are older doesn't mean we are wrong.
I'm older and I'm fine with people who have the opportunity to express themselves peacefully to show their disapproval with a specific aspect of life, doing so.

If that means taking a knee, or refusing to put your hand over your heart, or not singing when everyone else sings, or NOT kneeling when everyone else does, I'm good with it.

As long as they're doing it peacefully, and not interfering with anyone else's right to express themselves. If someone tried pulling the flag down, then I'd have a problem with it. If someone tried putting their hand over someone else's mouth to prevent them from singing, I'd have a problem with it. If someone switched out the music and played something other than the anthem, or turned the speakers off, I'd have a problem with it.

But kneeling? Not a problem. That's what makes America great. That people died for our RIGHT to do these things. If you have a problem with our right to express ourselves peacefully, then move to a country where you're not allowed to do that.
Old 07-24-2021, 10:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,273 Times in 4,295 Posts

Quote:
I DVRd some of the Olympics. FastForwarded thru much of it - esp the soccer etc.

However my attention was caught by one sport in particular.. Two words...

Beach Volleyball.

Now that's a sport to behold...
Google "Brazil Women's Beach Volleyball"...

You're welcome!

-Tom Petty
Old 07-24-2021, 10:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Hmm, nope, not interested in Olympics at all. It is way too commercialized for me. Actual amateur competition might be interesting.
Old 07-25-2021, 12:56 AM
Platinum member

Yes because I always watch the Olympics and also it is nice to have something to watch on t.v. for a change.

Tags
games, japan, olympics, holding, covid

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.