Driving to TV from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Closed Thread
Old 10-08-2007, 09:42 PM
Sage
Default Driving to TV from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Would love to hear preferred routes to TV. My friends swear By I-75, but someone recently recommended 77. Would like to hear other drivers' recommendations. We need to stop for two overnights in "pet friendly" accommodations. ;D
Old 10-09-2007, 07:59 AM
Default Re: Driving to TV from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

'barefoot' - we're close - I'm from Buffalo suburbs.. when I go visit relatives in NC or friends in Myrtle Beach, I drive right down the thruway 90 inNYS to 79 , thru Pittsburgh, WV, shift to rt 19 for 60 miles to 77 I believe (dont have the trusty mapout), and can go right down to Charlotte, NC. Havent traveled past that point yet but I imagine, point to Atlanta and come down into Florida! will check it out. The 79/77 trip is fast with alot of the time spent in75 mph ranges.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:23 AM
Veteran member

ripwho:
How is the airport out of Buffalo ? I am trying to get some Canadian friends to fly out of Buffalo rather than TO ( Toronto) If you can believe it they haven't heard of TV.
:dontknow: :dontknow:
Old 10-09-2007, 06:49 PM
Administrator

barefoot,

We leave from Erie, PA.
  • I-79 south, into West Virginia
  • Take U.S. Route 19 toward Summersville
  • Continue to Beckley

This far is about six hours for me, probably nine for you.

Beckley is a nice place to stop anyhow. Many restaurants, and if you have time, especially stop to see Tamarack. A wonderful collection of West Virginia artists, and a super place for breakfast in the morning before you push off to continue south. I love stopping here. The restaurant is run by Greenbriar, a regionally hooty-toot resort where you can spend a lot of money and time. The restaurant at Tamarack is very reasonable, though. And I love the breakfast there.
  • Take I-77 out of Beckley.
  • Take I-77 through Charlotte and Columbia
  • Take I-26 out of the south side of Columbia
  • Take I-26 to I-95
  • Take I-95 to Jacksonville.
  • Get I-295 on north of Jacksonville
  • Go to I-10 West
  • I-10 to Florida Rote 301. (I truly hate 301 because of the varying speeds and speed traps. It is eash to make a mistake because of the numerous change in speed limits.)
    Take 301 to 441 in Ocala and you are within shooting distance of TV.

It is 21 to 23 hours from Toronto. Unless you drive like a Canadian, then the entire trip will take you just under four hours from Toronto. ;D
Old 10-09-2007, 07:49 PM

Get a Garmin it'll get ya there. No arguing with the wife, and you don't have to get out and ask for directions. If I were going I-95 out of Jacksonville I would continue south on I 95 to Daytona exit there going west to Deland and on to the Villages. Garmins route, works like a charm.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:37 PM

'barefoot' - Buffalo/Niagara Airport is OK!! Being from NYC I was used to JFK and LaG but BUF airport is quite busy... try Southwest - I booked a flight from BUF to Orlando last april for $160 RT.. Jetblue also goes to Orl and Tampa but thru JFK (you also got Directv in front of your seat)...
Old 10-10-2007, 07:02 PM

barefoot

We have used the I-75 route and the I-79/I-77/I-95 route over the many years we have been coming to Florida. Both are good but the second one is harder driving as there are more mountains. We drive straight thru and the second route is actually faster but we have not yet taken it to TV. We leave on Saturday morning and we may try the second route this time so I can report back to you how it goes.

We close on our house in less than a week so I am really starting to get excited.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama
Get a Garmin it'll get ya there. No arguing with the wife, and you don't have to get out and ask for directions. If I were going I-95 out of Jacksonville I would continue south on I 95 to Daytona exit there going west to Deland and on to the Villages. Garmins route, works like a charm.
Bama .. what is a Garmin and how do you get one? I assume it's a map or GPS of some sort? Sounds like a type of gerbil.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:59 PM
Veteran member

We've used either 75 or 85/77 from Atlanta to Cleveland and back. On one occasion, we had to stop overnight on 77 and had some trouble finding a pet friendly motel. We lucked out in Beckley, W. Virginia. I'm sorry I don't remember the name but it's about a mile or so east off 77 on the right hand side. Pick up the hotel/motel coupon booklet at the W.VA. welcome center and it shouldn't be too hard to Identify the place.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:39 PM
Veteran member

There are two hotel chains that are pet-friendly. If I recall, one is Red Roof Inn. I totally forgot the second chain, but it's one of the better known chains. I guess you just need to contact RRI and others to see if they allow pets. GOOD LUCK, and have a safe trip!
Old 10-17-2007, 07:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony
barefoot,

We leave from Erie, PA.
  • I-79 south, into West Virginia
  • Take U.S. Route 19 toward Summersville
  • Continue to Beckley
  • Take I-77 out of Beckley.
  • Take I-77 through Charlotte and Columbia
  • Take I-26 out of the south side of Columbia
  • Take I-26 to I-95
  • Take I-95 to Jacksonville.
  • Get I-295 on north of Jacksonville
  • Go to I-10 West
  • I-10 to Florida Rote 301. (I truly hate 301 because of the varying speeds and speed traps. It is eash to make a mistake because of the numerous change in speed limits.)
    Take 301 to 441 in Ocala and you are within shooting distance of TV.
It is 21 to 23 hours from Toronto. Unless you drive like a Canadian, then the entire trip will take you just under four hours from Toronto. ;D
Tony, thanks so much for the GREAT detailed information. We are leaving Monday for TV!!! :hot:
and I've just gone over your instructions with map in hand.
Question: Why not take 301 when you are north of Jackonsville, instead of 295 and I-10 West to 301??
Old 10-17-2007, 08:21 AM

I travel I -75 to the TV...it is a straight shot for me and no problems...Pet Friendly places to stay...I highly recommend the Jameson Inn Hotel...go on line for locations...www.Jamesoninn.com...on the way down I stay at the one on the otherside of Atlanta in Perry, Georgia...on the way back I stay at the one in Knoxville...very clean and breakfast every morning...I try and make reservations so I know I have a room...especially in Knoxville...location for the Jameson's Inn are normally very handy right off the highway and nice restaurants located around with gas stations near by...they are a a lot nicer than the Red Roof Inn by far...hope this helps you out...I am a dog owner as you can tell...
Old 10-17-2007, 09:11 AM

Most will tell you to avoid 301....it is notorious for it's speed traps and hence a very slow trip from Jax to TV...can make good time on I-10 and then I-75..I drove it a couple weeks ago and it took me 21/2 hours.
Have a safe trip down!!
Old 10-17-2007, 09:15 AM
Sage

Have a safe trip to TV, Barefoot!
Old 10-17-2007, 09:24 AM

barefoot - I noticed you never got an answer on the Garmin. Garmin is a manufacturer of GPS devices. They work great for getting you where you want to go. However, I think you have detailed enough directions to get you there anyway. Good luck and have a safe trip. :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.