Are you paying too much for your new car?

Closed Thread
Old 11-04-2022, 08:17 AM
Gold member

Why is it that our "leaders" get in a bunch about alleged "price gougers" (big oil companies, big pharma, big grocery, etc.) but nary a word about auto dealers who add thousands to the price of cars, just because they can. I get supply and demand, but how about a little bit of consistency?
Old 11-06-2022, 08:30 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Tahara View Post
If you are paying more than the MSP -- Manufacturerer's Suggest Price -- other than mandated taxes, you are paying too much. All other fees are added profit for the dealer.
I recently bought a new car which the dealer wanted to add nearly $8000 in fees and charges. It took four hours of negotiations, but I did get my car for the MSP plus mandated sales taxes and new registration fees.
I have never paid more than 85% of MSRP, and I am not about to start now.
Old 11-06-2022, 09:12 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,245 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Tahara View Post
If you are paying more than the MSP -- Manufacturerer's Suggest Price -- other than mandated taxes, you are paying too much. All other fees are added profit for the dealer.
I recently bought a new car which the dealer wanted to add nearly $8000 in fees and charges. It took four hours of negotiations, but I did get my car for the MSP plus mandated sales taxes and new registration fees.
I tried to get them to knock off the Market Value Adjustment but they would not remove the fee……so I left. I am not paying $5000 just because they can and frankly shame on others who pay it.
Ocala Kia wanted $12,000 over manufacture. I just laughed and said I would never.
Old 11-07-2022, 06:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,901 Times in 914 Posts

Only my first car did I buy new, otherwise I have never bought a new car and am not about to start now.
Closed Thread

Tags
paying, car, fees, dealer, taxes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.