Are you paying too much for your new car?

Closed Thread
Old 11-02-2022, 05:25 AM
Talking Are you paying too much for your new car?

If you are paying more than the MSP -- Manufacturerer's Suggest Price -- other than mandated taxes, you are paying too much. All other fees are added profit for the dealer.
I recently bought a new car which the dealer wanted to add nearly $8000 in fees and charges. It took four hours of negotiations, but I did get my car for the MSP plus mandated sales taxes and new registration fees.
Old 11-02-2022, 05:29 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,773 Times in 3,641 Posts

Old 11-02-2022, 05:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,710 Times in 5,240 Posts

I don't know how the car market has changed because of inflation and supply issues, but, typically, you should be able to buy a new car for about 3 percent less than the MSRP plus sales tax and registration. Period. In the past, it has taken me less than 30 minutes to get that price. I would never spend 4 hours discussing the price with a dealer. I politely give the dealer a take it or leave it "out the door" price, and give them 15 minutes. No "negotiation". If they reject the price, I just leave. If it is presented correctly, they will almost always accept the price because they don't want to lose the sale. I have bought a lot of cars that way.
Old 11-02-2022, 05:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Tahara View Post
If you are paying more than the MSP -- Manufacturerer's Suggest Price -- other than mandated taxes, you are paying too much. All other fees are added profit for the dealer.
I recently bought a new car which the dealer wanted to add nearly $8000 in fees and charges. It took four hours of negotiations, but I did get my car for the MSP plus mandated sales taxes and new registration fees.
You must be a very good negotiator, new car dealers are selling cars before delivery to the dealer. My understanding is the shortage will continue into 2023. I have put off buying a new vehicle because of the current situation. The way I preferred to deal with dealerships was to tell the salesman that I wanted a written quote, that I would shop three/ four other dealers for the best price, any change and I walk, more than once that ended the conversation
Old 11-02-2022, 09:03 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbomaybe View Post
You must be a very good negotiator, new car dealers are selling cars before delivery to the dealer. My understanding is the shortage will continue into 2023. I have put off buying a new vehicle because of the current situation. The way I preferred to deal with dealerships was to tell the salesman that I wanted a written quote, that I would shop three/ four other dealers for the best price, any change and I walk, more than once that ended the conversation
Since Covid, nothing is the same as it was before. I do suspect that this scenario is going to change. Might be less demand for cars in other parts of the country where there are less cash buyers and people have to finance their prurchase. For most of us, car is not an absolute necessity since majority of TV population does not need a car every day like the working populace.
Old 11-02-2022, 09:21 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,193 Times in 761 Posts

I am holding off also, I refuse to pay more than the manufacture requires.
Old 11-02-2022, 09:22 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

MSRP is not a number fixed by the mfr, but by the dealership and if you paid that you got taken. As in most things that cost $$$ it's priced by what the market is willing to pay.
Old 11-02-2022, 09:29 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Place a factory order and wait
Old 11-02-2022, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
MSRP is not a number fixed by the mfr, but by the dealership and if you paid that you got taken. As in most things that cost $$$ it's priced by what the market is willing to pay.

The Monroney sticker is named for A.S. “Mike” Monroney, a longtime Oklahoma congressman who wrote the 1958 Automobile Information Disclosure Act, the federal law that requires the Monroney sticker.
One of the
primary details on the Monroney sticker is the manufacturer’s suggested retail price, or MSRP, often referred to as the “sticker price.” This is a recommendation
from the automaker
for how much to charge for the vehicle. The actual price will depend on optional features the buyer selects, discounts the dealer may offer and negotiations between the dealer and the buyer.
Old 11-03-2022, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't know how the car market has changed because of inflation and supply issues, but, typically, you should be able to buy a new car for about 3 percent less than the MSRP plus sales tax and registration. Period. In the past, it has taken me less than 30 minutes to get that price. I would never spend 4 hours discussing the price with a dealer. I politely give the dealer a take it or leave it "out the door" price, and give them 15 minutes. No "negotiation". If they reject the price, I just leave. If it is presented correctly, they will almost always accept the price because they don't want to lose the sale. I have bought a lot of cars that way.
I've known people that dearly love to dicker with a car salesman until they reach the agreed-upon price. Me? I'd rather be poked in the eye with a sharp stick than try bargaining with a guy on his home turf who knows the exact cutoff point on price, while I sit there like a pumpkin in Linus's pumpkin patch thinking to myself that no matter what price we've agreed upon, I'm still getting screwed. I break out in a cold sweat every time we need to buy a new car. I'd gladly hire someone to dicker for me just so I could watch the car salesman sweat instead of me, and then I'd walk out with a nonchalant "No thanks" reverberating through the showroom.
Old 11-03-2022, 05:59 AM

How to Get the Best Price on a New Car - Step by Step Instructions
This ia a link to a free step by step guide that will teach you exactly how to buy or lease a new car. It teaches you how to properly set up a competitive bidding process with multiple dealers and includes email and phone templates you can use.
Old 11-03-2022, 06:04 AM

Auto Buying ZIP Code Entry | Costco Auto Program
New & Used Car Buying Service | Costco Auto Program
Costco Auto Program has been providing prearranged pricing and a stress-free car-buying experience to Costco members for more than 30 years. They've developed a proven formula to maximize value, streamline the process and remove the hassle normally associated with buying a car.
Old 11-03-2022, 06:09 AM
Default That Worked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
Place a factory order and wait
I did the same - still paid MSRP, no negotiation, but got excellent price for trade-in.

OP’s negotiation skills are impressive tho - nice work. The other dealerships I shopped were either $6k to $15k over MSRP or selling cars enroute.
Old 11-03-2022, 06:13 AM
Veteran member

It all depends on the vehicle you want. There are hundreds of thousands of new cars that are being taken to auctions because they can’t sell them, you can find a great deal on new cars. I’m looking at purchasing a new used car and while I’m waiting on some cars, price is dropping $500-$1000 every week. I’m still waiting because they started off way to high and now they are getting down to actual kbb prices.
Also, check out YouTube videos on what’s happening in the car market. People aren’t buying cars because of the interest rates so car dealers are hurting and some might not survive like for example carvana.
Old 11-03-2022, 06:50 AM

Went to Kia to look at Telluride they wanted 10k add on for market adjustment in august just shook my head and went to Toyota….no markup for a new hybrid Highlander….
Closed Thread

Tags
paying, car, fees, dealer, taxes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.