Are You Worried About Climate Change?

Closed Thread
Old 10-19-2019, 03:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
"The greenies..." wow. Just wow.

If that moniker was meant to be a denigration of those who think of others, the environment, and the health of this planet that we all live on for future generations, rather than just the immediate monetary situation/personal comfort of only themselves...count me as a card-carrying "Greenie."

If it was meant to exhibit an admiration/jealousy of those who care...then .

Old 10-19-2019, 03:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

If that moniker was meant to be a denigration of those who think of others, the environment, and the health of this planet that we all live on for future generations, rather than just the immediate monetary situation/personal comfort of only themselves...count me as a card-carrying "Greenie."

If it was meant to exhibit an admiration/jealousy of those who care...then .

Words failed me when I saw the post in question. Thank you for a polite, clear, respectful set of words. I'll agree, wholeheartedly.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:17 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Ummm...totally incorrect.

It's done because...it's cheaper and easier.

Alternatives to burning (strike match here)

In Florida though, the sugar lobby is very powerful and donates a lot of money to politicians, so that's the real reason it's allowed...and probably won't change.
I lived on Maui for 17 years. I think I know what I'm talking about.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:25 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

After reading page after page of commentary here, my conclusion is no different than before this thread started. We have the "True Believers" who will not/cannot be swayed from their position and we have those for whom the jury is still out. One side at this point in time cannot sway the other. So, why continue this exercise in futility? I fear we are reaching the point of name calling and worse. Time to call it a day and enjoy life.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

12 books about climate change 'solutions' that belong on your summer reading list >> Yale Climate Connections

This looks quite useful.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
I lived on Maui for 17 years. I think I know what I'm talking about.
With all due respect...based on what?

Did you read my link in post #108?

In the interest of actual facts and not based on just length of residency, particularly since I haven't seen a claim of being a sugar scientist and/or managing any significant sugar cane operations, I'll save you some time...and post just a part of the article from the link.

Quote:
Green harvesting is practiced by some of the world’s top sugarcane growing nations like Brazil and Australia where trash is effectively utilized to produce profits instead of being burned.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:57 PM
TOTV Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
After reading page after page of commentary here, my conclusion is no different than before this thread started. We have the "True Believers" who will not/cannot be swayed from their position and we have those for whom the jury is still out. One side at this point in time cannot sway the other. So, why continue this exercise in futility? I fear we are reaching the point of name calling and worse. Time to call it a day and enjoy life.
This post sums up the thread nicely. Posts have deteriorated to member on member. This thread is now closed.

Closed Thread

Tags
people, buying, climate, change, cars

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.