Are You Worried About Climate Change?

Closed Thread
Old 10-14-2019, 01:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,583 Times in 5,183 Posts
Default Are You Worried About Climate Change?

I am not worried about it at all. But, apparently, a lot of people claim that climate change or “global warming” will soon be killing people and may even threaten life on our planet. But, the TOTV web site actually has a “just for fun” thread making jokes about global warming. And, I don’t see very many people doing much to reduce their carbon footprint. It appears to me that people are still flying on airplanes and buying gas guzzling vehicles as much as ever. In fact, only about one in every 200 cars is an electric car, and most Villagers are buying gas golf carts. Very few people are buying solar panels, even though they are readily available in The Villages. So, have you changed your lifestyle or habits to reduce the effects of climate change?

Last edited by retiredguy123; 10-14-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:52 PM
Veteran member

The Villages FloridaClimate change is real Evidence | Facts – Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet and many people are changing the way they pollute the earth they live on. And, many are not. I am a huge advocate of reducing plastics. Hemp can replace any plastic item from material to build homes to paper, to clothing, to biodegradable bottles, etc. Hemp: A New Crop with New Uses for North America

We decided to move to The Villages, because of its height above sea level. Over the past 30 years, we have lived in areas of Florida that were the length of a spade shovel (not the handle, just the spade itself) above sea level to 6 feet above sea level. We got tired of having to evacuate during any hurricane that came from the south or the west (Gulf). Now we are about 95 feet above sea level. That took care of the flooding part. Now the concern is water quality. We were tired of seeing tons of dead fish, manatees, and water that you wouldn't dare go in, or drink.

Last edited by Ben Franklin; 10-14-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:58 PM
Sage

Even those lifestyle changes you mention...electric vehicles, solar panels, etc., are far from proven methods to reduce climate change, contrary to what many proclaim.

The one thing constant about the climate is change.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Hate to cite science for the climate deniers but what the heck, let's see what NASA has to say.

Scientific Consensus | Facts – Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2019, 02:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,729 Posts

Of course there is climate change, just ask the dinosaurs. The question is can human beings guide it? And if they can, to what extent?

When you compare our efforts to natural forces; tsunamis, volcanoes, hurricanes, the sun exploding etc and... What can we do that is significantly effective, do we want stagnation? Everything like it was in the past, 50 years ago, 1000, 10,000,000? Perhaps we should consider other galaxies for the future?

So many options.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

The climate has always changed..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 10-14-2019, 03:19 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

My 2 cents from my college education with a minor in Earth Science. Is the climate changing? Of course it is because a changing climate is a constant and has been for billions of years. Are humans causing it? Certainly humans influence the level of pollution world wide with plastic refuse, chemicals, etc., BUT that does not mean humans cause climate change. Fact, the typical volcanic eruption puts more so called pollutants in the air than humans can manage in year.

I am all for clean air and clean water as we all should be. And certainly be a good steward of our environment in general. But to imply that humans can have any effect on global climate change is the height of hubris. The true "science deniers" are those who insist "it's all our fault"and"we're all gonna die". They cannot answer 2 simple questions, 1. Tell me what caused the Ice Age, and 2. Explain how all the ice melted when there were only a few million humans on the planet and no industrial revolution? Many reputable climatologists believe we are still coming out of the last Ice Age, and keep in mind that before the last Ice Age, Alaska was a temperate climate akin to the Midwest.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:23 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
My 2 cents from my college education with a minor in Earth Science. Is the climate changing? Of course it is because a changing climate is a constant and has been for billions of years. Are humans causing it? Certainly humans influence the level of pollution world wide with plastic refuse, chemicals, etc., BUT that does not mean humans cause climate change. Fact, the typical volcanic eruption puts more so called pollutants in the air than humans can manage in year.

I am all for clean air and clean water as we all should be. And certainly be a good steward of our environment in general. But to imply that humans can have any effect on global climate change is the height of hubris. The true "science deniers" are those who insist "it's all our fault"and"we're all gonna die". They cannot answer 2 simple questions, 1. Tell me what caused the Ice Age, and 2. Explain how all the ice melted when there were only a few million humans on the planet and no industrial revolution? Many reputable climatologists believe we are still coming out of the last Ice Age, and keep in mind that before the last Ice Age, Alaska was a temperate climate akin to the Midwest.
Thank you for this excellent post!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-14-2019, 03:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post

Well stated.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,426 Times in 3,080 Posts

I agree with Aloha1 except he contradicts himself. First paragraph: "Certainly humans influence the level of pollution world wide with plastic refuse, chemicals, etc"

Second paragraph: "To imply that humans can have any effect on global climate change is the height of hubris."

I feel that we absolutely DO have an affect on climate change. I also believe that we are not responsible for climate change. I believe in the ripple effect. We pollute the oceans with trillions of tons of garbage every year, which causes the ocean levels to rise, which causes thermal interference, which contributes to (not causes) polar ice reduction, which causes atmospheric changes, which is - climate change. That's just one thing humans do that contributes to climate change.

Does it exist? Yup, sure does. Do we contribute to the changes? Yup, you betcha. Are we "responsible" for the change? Not at all. Are there things we can do that will slow down the change, or make it less severe in our grandchildrens' lifetime? Yup. Will it stop climate change? Nope.

Evolution will continue with or without us. Our planet will slowly continue to die, as all planets do. But it's in our best interest, as a species, to at least TRY not to speed up our own extinction.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,499 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Hate to cite science for the climate deniers but what the heck, let's see what NASA has to say.

Scientific Consensus | Facts – Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I don't think the issue is the climate "deniers" but rather at this time little is available to make a truly effective change or reverse climate change and global warming. THAT is the difference, not that people do not know that changes are occurring but that people do not see an effective answer to the problem.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,499 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
I agree with Aloha1 except he contradicts himself. First paragraph: "Certainly humans influence the level of pollution world wide with plastic refuse, chemicals, etc"

Second paragraph: "To imply that humans can have any effect on global climate change is the height of hubris."

I feel that we absolutely DO have an affect on climate change. I also believe that we are not responsible for climate change. I believe in the ripple effect. We pollute the oceans with trillions of tons of garbage every year, which causes the ocean levels to rise, which causes thermal interference, which contributes to (not causes) polar ice reduction, which causes atmospheric changes, which is - climate change. That's just one thing humans do that contributes to climate change.

Does it exist? Yup, sure does. Do we contribute to the changes? Yup, you betcha. Are we "responsible" for the change? Not at all. Are there things we can do that will slow down the change, or make it less severe in our grandchildrens' lifetime? Yup. Will it stop climate change? Nope.

Evolution will continue with or without us. Our planet will slowly continue to die, as all planets do. But it's in our best interest, as a species, to at least TRY not to speed up our own extinction.
Not enough to make a real dent in the problem, at this time. Enough to know that every little bit helps, the old lady said as she peed in the sea.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:30 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

Isn't China the primary polluter?

Until that country and some others get on board the planet cannot be cleaned up which it certainly needs to be!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-14-2019, 04:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,729 Posts

Yes, China is a large polluter, but, when it comes to the rural poor (and there are so many) survival is the first thing. Keeping the earth clean is a pretty distant priority in comparison.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post

Come gather 'round people wherever you roam
And admit that the water around you has grown
And accept it that soon you'll be drenched to the bone
If your time to you is worth saving,
then you better start swimming or you'll sink like a stone
For the times, they are a'changing.

Tags
people, buying, climate, change, cars

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.