Young people not volunteering for military

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2023, 10:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Kids today are more interested in changing history or eliminating history than making history. The fact the is not politically correct to say master bedroom anymore says it all to me.
Old 03-19-2023, 04:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Why does the military guarantee a lifetime of support for a soldier and his family, even if he/she never sees any combat action? I think they should recruit people to serve where and when they are needed for a limited term and pay them big bucks. A soldier who serves a deployment in a combat zone should be paid way more than someone sitting behind a desk in the Pentagon, drinking coffee.
Good idea,, if you had a crystal ball that would look into the future a couple of years, would tell you exactly what the threat will be , where , what will be needed to counter that threat, a long large complex logistical organization is is the only way to give those at the pointy end of the spear the best chance of success, aside of the wisdom of .
Si vis pacem, para bellum is a Latin adage translated as, "If you want peace, prepare for war"
Old 03-19-2023, 05:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

At the end of the day, the most effective way to increase military volunteers is to make a military career a financially competitive alternative — pay volunteers a package which encourages the military as a good career choice.

— Enlistment bonuses
— Free college tuition
— Advanced choice of MOS (occupational specialty) training
— Pay which is competitive with opportunities in the private sector
Old 03-19-2023, 05:29 AM

there is a labor shortage everywhere, with declining birth rates, a booming economy young people can get jobs anywhere. Also the number one reason why recruits are rejected, is obesity
Old 03-19-2023, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
Interesting article on the problem with military recruitment.

Any advice as to
1. why it has fallen and
2. how to increase it?

Addressing the U.S. Military Recruiting Crisis - War on the Rocks
1. Why has it fallen?
I think welfare has become a more appealing career choice.
2. How to increase it?
Every illegal alien entering this country gets deported back to where he or she came from or is given the choice of serving in any branch of our military and on being honorable discharged along with a DD214 they also receive their citizenship papers.
Old 03-19-2023, 06:04 AM
Veteran member

People are not going to like why I believe recruitment is down. My parents signed me into the Navy when I was 17. I was a high school dropout from a poor family, jail look like the next stop and for me 4 years in the Navy was the best move. It actually gave me a place to grow up. I don't see recruitment ads on TV anymore, but when they were around it was always directed to the less fortunate. Join the service see the world, get an education, it was directed to people who seem they had no place to go. Today the military wants people with a higher education and those people can do better on the outside. I'm not complaining about the Navy besides giving me a place to grow up, it paid for my schooling when I got out. But when I joined, I remember one of the first things I was told "You are now the property of the Navy". They were right, you were told when to eat, sleep and not knowing where they were going to send you next. Let's be honest being a civilian is a more comfortable life.
Old 03-19-2023, 06:36 AM

No worries. If necessary a draft will be enacted.
Old 03-19-2023, 06:45 AM

All young people should join a branch of the service. My husband said it was the best years of his life & prepared him to become a man, far better than the years in boarding school
Old 03-19-2023, 06:58 AM

Many are waking up to the bankers using the military to fight illegal wars.Why would you unknowingly kill someone or destroy a country for the un/nato. All criminal groups.
Old 03-19-2023, 07:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterflower View Post
Many are waking up to the bankers using the military to fight illegal wars.Why would you unknowingly kill someone or destroy a country for the un/nato. All criminal groups.
Gotta reread this slowly…..lot of political packed into three sentences.
Old 03-19-2023, 07:10 AM

Quote:

Any advice as to
1. why it has fallen and
2. how to increase it?

Walk through a VA Hospital and you will see the ravages of war and military life. The youth of today do not want to go to unsavory locations to support the values of people who have never served. I would NEVER recommend service to anyone, clean up the politics, the places where you end up and respect for all who server no matter the gender, ethnic backgrounds and education. Stop taking drop outs and make it a respected career.
Old 03-19-2023, 07:13 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:

Any advice as to
1. why it has fallen and
2. how to increase it?

Interesting article. I don’t agree with all of it, but it offers some interesting suggestions for improvement, such as allowing recruits who aren’t married but have children. (That was once considered a way of escaping responsibilities, but these days so many are already escaping them with impunity.) One reason given that hadn’t occurred to me is that recruitment is down because we don’t currently have a war where those in the military can go out and kill people. That could be! But not for most, I think.

However, the article doesn’t mention one big one. I think that from 1980 to 2001, recruiting was based on the idea of enlisting in order to get training in what could be a useful career someday and get access to help with college costs. I recall reading that recruiters were encouraging enlistment by telling kids they were unlikely to be asked to serve in a war zone overseas. Some were allowed to sign up with stated objectives of getting to serve overseas in countries like Germany and South Korea and seeing the world. Enlisting was a career move and NOT a desire to fight for one’s country. As there was no big war, not wanting to go into battle wasn’t considered a big problem. But then came the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Recruits were not only being sent into battle where they might kill or be killed, but many were required to serve multiple tours in war zones. I recall the son of a college girlfriend of mine who enlisted in early 2001 because he was told he’d never have to go into battle, but he served three tours in Afghanistan. He wasn’t wounded, at least physically, but it was harrowing. It may have been wrong to tell recruits they wouldn’t have to serve in combat, whether they want to or not, but one could argue that it was also wrong to enlist in the military without being willing to fight.

I recall reading another article about Coast Guard enlistments being down because enlisted men and women were being sent to war zones instead of staying in the U.S. and doing what the recruitment posters said the National Guard does. A lot of people also decided to not join the Reserves because of the likelihood that they would be sent back to war, disrupting their careers and families. I don’t see any real way around it. You shouldn’t enlist unless you are willing to fight and protect. Getting job training and other benefits should not be the main reason for joining.

I myself would favor a near universal two year conscription for training, followed by a couple decades in the reserves. If you want the right to keep and bear arms, then you ought to be willing to be properly trained to bear them and be willing to actually bear them in war. Israel has a system somewhat like that, and that’s why young Israeli men and women are so confident and strong and brave. They all know they are trained and ready.
Old 03-19-2023, 07:32 AM

Should be mandatory of 2 years service after graduation from high school. G I bill will continue education after discharge
Old 03-19-2023, 07:38 AM
Default Forced “Vaccination”

Quote:

Any advice as to
1. why it has fallen and
2. how to increase it?

The article did not mention the Covid shots - forcing someone to do this is probably detrimental to recruitment.
Old 03-19-2023, 07:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterflower View Post
i think you captured something with comment.
Closed Thread

Tags
military, young, increase, fallen, advice

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.