Younger workers not happy with older workers?

Closed Thread
Old 06-06-2019, 09:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts
Default Younger workers not happy with older workers?

Interesting.

Poll: Some younger workers view aging workforce negatively (poke here)

Quote:
CHICAGO (AP) — Some younger workers aren't particularly thrilled to see a rising share of older Americans forgo retirement and continue working, according to a recent poll by The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research.

The poll found that workers under the age of 50 were significantly more likely to view America's aging workforce as a negative development when compared with their older counterparts. About 4 in 10 respondents ages 18 to 49 and 44% of the youngest respondents ages 18 to 29 said they consider the trend to be a bad thing for American workers. Just 14% of those age 60 and over said the same.

"I don't think in things like IT and medicine you're as effective a worker (at 65 years old) as you are at 50," says Katie Otting, a 29-year-old living near San Diego. "If some 65-year-old is in a position that he's not ready to quit because he wants a better pension and there's someone else ready to take that job, they're not going to replace him."

An aging population, elevated health care costs and lingering financial uncertainty following the Great Recession all are believed to be contributing to America's steadily graying workforce. Nearly 20% of Americans over the age of 65 were employed or actively looking for work last year, up from less than 12% two decades prior, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

But the increased prevalence of older workers has led some to believe seniors are holding back the country's economic momentum by remaining in the workforce. Men were slightly more likely than women to cite the aging workforce as a problem for U.S. workers (32% to 27. And about a third (34%) of more affluent respondents earning more than $100,000 annually said the same, slightly more than the 24% of those earning less than $30,000 who said so.

By contrast, about 6 in 10 Americans age 60 and over say the trend has actually been a good thing for the economy, compared with 3 in 10 Americans under 30 who think that.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

When I was younger I was never happy having to go to work. I am surprised they could pole enough younger workers to have pole
Old 06-06-2019, 10:16 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

What, the young ones don't want to have to keep up with the high standards work ethic of the older workers?

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-07-2019, 05:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
When I was younger I was never happy having to go to work. I am surprised they could pole enough younger workers to have pole.

I'm just guessing here, but I don't think they only asked...those working in strip clubs.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:37 AM
Gold member

I don't know why anyone would care about what comes off the corrupt and childishly stupid AP newswire.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:46 AM

They should have asked the employers; the opinion of the ones I know is that it is very difficult to find younger workers who actually want to put in time and effort at a job, or even commit to showing up every day.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,013 Times in 1,740 Posts

Each age group is advocating for themselves, this is news?
Old 06-07-2019, 06:44 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Old people are old.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:22 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Just another version of the “Divide and Conquer” mentality that permeates lots of things.

Sit at a bargaining table to try to negotiate for a fair contract for teachers and watch the other side encourage ageism. Getting the young teachers to see the experienced teachers as the enemy is often way too easy.

My guess is that is often true in other contract negotiations, too. “Divide and Conquer” is an old, classic, and oh so obvious maneuver when money is driving the bus and throwing experience under that bus is usually a part of the opposition’s game. Experience costs more, but the ROI is often not considered.

Ageism in America is nothing new. It is a complex, cultural issue. Sometimes it is subconscious, but often ageism is weaponized for selfish purposes.

(Even though there are, of course, circumstances when older people really should step down, painting with a wide brush is never a good thing. The ability to see others as individuals is being rapidly lost.

‘Dehumanization’ is one of the ugliest words in our language and we are now witness to more and more of exactly that, some ways more overt than others.)

Last edited by Boomer; 06-07-2019 at 07:37 AM.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I don't know where I stand on this and it's not high on my list of things that I care about.

But one thing that I thought of is if people who are of retirement age and are able to retire comfortably decide to keep working, they are taking a job that a younger person could take thereby increasing the unemployment numbers.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:35 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I don't know where I stand on this and it's not high on my list of things that I care about.

But one thing that I thought of is if people who are of retirement age and are able to retire comfortably decide to keep working, they are taking a job that a younger person could take thereby increasing the unemployment numbers.

Agree.

Unemployment numbers are so low right now, most companies are struggling to find quality people right now.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:09 AM
Sage

My brother and I grew up close to two brothers who went on to become an oral surgeon and an attorney. Their parents both worked for the local newspaper, the father a Linotype operator at night and the mother an editor during the day. The parents were very hard workers and inspired an admirable work ethic in their children. The oral surgeon told me that when his mother retired the paper needed two younger employees to accomplish all she did.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-07-2019, 08:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post

Many jobs older folks take younger folks don't want. Walmart greeter and gate attendant at a retirement community come to mind.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Old people are old.
and got old by being smart
Old 06-07-2019, 08:23 AM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

Using a very broad brush to generalize, the millennial generation is the "I want it and I want it NOW" generation, having grown up with helicopter parents and 7th place trophies. Contrast that to boomers that exemplified delayed gratification, worked at something from age 12 or 14 through retirement, often working at only one or two companies throughout their adult lifetime. The delusion that older people are standing in their way as they try to move (or jump) up the ladder to success is just more folly and consistent with the entitlement attitude. 7th place results don;t get one anything in corporate America. Buckle up ! You might actually have to miss one of your kids soccer games and work past 430 !!
Closed Thread

Tags
workers, workforce, older, aging, age

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.