Younger workers not happy with older workers?

Closed Thread
Old 06-07-2019, 08:26 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
and got old by being smart

Old 06-07-2019, 08:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuemkt View Post
Using a very broad brush to generalize, the millennial generation is the "I want it and I want it NOW" generation, having grown up with helicopter parents and 7th place trophies. Contrast that to boomers that exemplified delayed gratification, worked at something from age 12 or 14 through retirement, often working at only one or two companies throughout their adult lifetime. The delusion that older people are standing in their way as they try to move (or jump) up the ladder to success is just more folly and consistent with the entitlement attitude. 7th place results don;t get one anything in corporate America. Buckle up ! You might actually have to miss one of your kids soccer games and work past 430 !!
Old 06-07-2019, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

I'm just guessing here, but I don't think they only asked...those working in strip clubs.
Hey, pole dancer’s are hard workers, the deserve to be poled.
Old 06-07-2019, 08:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,012 Times in 1,739 Posts

Well, if they can pole the pole dancers, they should include the Formula1 and MotoGP drivers. And what is the average age of retirement of a judge or a senator? Or President?
Old 06-07-2019, 11:33 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

One of my cousins is 74 or 75 I believe and still works. She and her husband were typical middle class, non-college educated working people who were setting aside a retirement savings nest egg. He didn't believe in life insurance for what ever reason, I guess believing he would live well past retirement age and accumulate a reasonable amount of savings. Well he died in his late 50's and my cousin had no choice but to keep on working. Their savings weren't enough for her to live off of even with social security so she needs a job that fills the gap. She doesn't work because she is bored, she works to have enough money in order to get by.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Just another version of the “Divide and Conquer” mentality that permeates lots of things.

Sit at a bargaining table to try to negotiate for a fair contract for teachers and watch the other side encourage ageism. Getting the young teachers to see the experienced teachers as the enemy is often way too easy.

My guess is that is often true in other contract negotiations, too. “Divide and Conquer” is an old, classic, and oh so obvious maneuver when money is driving the bus and throwing experience under that bus is usually a part of the opposition’s game. Experience costs more, but the ROI is often not considered.

Ageism in America is nothing new. It is a complex, cultural issue. Sometimes it is subconscious, but often ageism is weaponized for selfish purposes.

(Even though there are, of course, circumstances when older people really should step down, painting with a wide brush is never a good thing. The ability to see others as individuals is being rapidly lost.

‘Dehumanization’ is one of the ugliest words in our language and we are now witness to more and more of exactly that, some ways more overt than others.)

Excellent post...and perspective.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
and got old by being smart

Hardly a predictor.

A lot of young, smart people, never got a chance to get old...for a plethora of reasons.

And a lot of older folks got here...in spite of their lifelong dumb actions/behavior.

Ya just never can predict, who will manage to live a relatively long life...and who will not.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts
Default Predidcted by me years ago

Age wars.
We all think we are right.
I saw one poster and obvious retired teacher used the term fair contract. Fair to who? We are the people who paid for the contract by TAXES PAID. A teacher will claim income. Income does not count the fact that they do not work 52 weeks a year or the value of the pension, medical care etc. Oh and the money to pay you came from my pocket. My ability to save to pay MY BILLS now that I am retired and living not on a pension but on savings that were taxed before being saved and are taxed yet again on stock dividends or bond interest.
An age forced retirement age. The concept came about when FDR put in social security. Retiring people at 65 opened up jobs, that were is short supply during the depression, for others unemployed.
Perhaps, how we got here expecting government to manage things. My view on this issue. Our current tax system was drawn to discourage people from being on social security and working.
With a labor shortage, perhaps as in WWII the nation made it heroic for woman to work and then when the war ended expected lucy the riveter to quit and give her job to a man.
A bit of public relations and tax adjustment and the US could discover an unseen labor force to fill our labor shortage.
Fair, a term we regularly use is not at all clear. It always depends on who is looking at the issue AND FEW DARE TO SEE THE FACTS.

Last edited by DAVES; 06-07-2019 at 12:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-07-2019, 03:12 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

The big elephant in the room that does not seem to be seen yet in this thread is that many people have to work longer than they want to because they need to hold on to group health insurance for themselves and/or their spouse until age 65 for Medicare.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,012 Times in 1,739 Posts

Take teachers, for example. How long a teacher works often depends on the amount of pension they would get on retirement. Fifteen years ago many teachers retired at age 55 in my district, 10 years ago many retired at age 60, today the average age of retirement is over 65. People are living longer, in my district 3 times as many are over age 100 as compared to 15 years ago. People are concerned that they do not outlive their pension. I’ve often heard the comment, “teach 30 years, retire for 35”.

Last edited by Velvet; 06-07-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:18 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Old people are old.
GREAT thanks
Closed Thread

Tags
workers, workforce, older, aging, age

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.