Your Bucket List?

Closed Thread
Old 01-30-2008, 12:36 AM
Default Re: Your Bucket List?

Like Tal, I have long wanted to skydive. I think it would be the most amazing feeling.
Johannesburg, London, Wiesbaden, Fairfield CA, Tokyo, Rock Hill SC, Myrtle Beach, Denver, Baltimore, Bangkok, Hongkong, Rutland VT, New York NY, Seneca SC, and next (and last stop as soon as we sell our house) The Villages.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:22 AM

Beady, The Grand Canyon is beautiful, We went to Las Vegas for 5 days. Took one day out, drove there and just spent the day in awe. I could go again.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:51 AM

I pondered this thought a few years ago and came up with a few things. Two of them I have accomplished, much to my delight:

Learn ballroom dancing. I took lessons for one full year and loved every single second of it. Ran out of money though, lessons are very expensive - and I had 2 kids in college.

Raft the entire length of the Grand Canyon. Did this trip this summer. Pls see previous post of Sept. 07. I referenced a website for pictures. It was 8 days of absolute magnificent beauty, fun, amazing. Met in NYC (11 of us) a few weeks ago. Had a great reunion.

Lets see: I'd like to see a space launch also. This is a great topic. Will have to think about it some more. Golfnut: funny post!!
Old 01-30-2008, 01:03 PM

On a clear day you can clearly see space launches from TV, even though Cape Kennedy is 50+/- miles from here. We live in Bonnybrook, and (if launch is in the evening after the golfers finish) folks can drive their golf carts up Weston Manor Dr and park by the golf course for an unimpeded view of the launch. The newest launch vehicle is faster than ever and the show is over rather quickly. The last time there was an evening launch there were 50-60 of us applauding as the rocket ascended. Makes you proud to be an American!

I once was in Port Canaveral and saw a shuttle launch. It was awesome!

A friend that lives in Satellite Beach by Patrick AFB promises to take us in his boat to an location NASA sets aside for water-bourne observers which is very close to the launch area. Can't wait!
Old 01-30-2008, 05:50 PM

Take a cruise - I've never been on a cruise.

mm
Old 01-30-2008, 08:17 PM

Yes, skydiving is on the top of my list.
There was an article in the Daily Sun a few weeks back about a skydiving group. I think the person's name in the article whom they interviewed was a resident named Norm Olson (sp?)
I may just get in touch with him now and see how to get started!
Old 02-01-2008, 04:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member

GREAT IDEA:SKYDIVING..
I've thought about it all day and I've decided to make plans , First I'll buy some DEPENDS .....
Old 02-01-2008, 04:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default Not Sure It Will Ever Happen, But...

...I would love to go down south of Australia, get in a cage and take pictures of great white sharks trying to get at me.

It's easier said than done, no doubt. I have a good friend who is a well-known underwater photographer. She told me that the first time she did it, she litterally pee'd in her wetsuit she was so scared. But, she explained, after a while you get to the point where you can concentrate on the beauty of the animals and photographing them.

By the way, an Australian friend sent me the following picture. It was taken by the teen-aged son of the couple pictured. He had just been certified for diving and was diving with his Mom and Dad. The handed him the camera and asked him to take their picture. He took the picture and bolted to the surface and back to the boat. They saw his agitation and followed. He told them what he had seen, which was confirmed by the boat captain. Here's the picture he took. (No one was hurt. And if this was Photoshopped in, the photographer was very, very good at it.) Enjoy.

The Villages Florida
Old 02-01-2008, 10:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Kahuna, you don't believe that's a real picture do you??
Old 02-02-2008, 02:27 AM
Sage
Default Real...Or No Real?

I've done a lot of adjusting of photos using Photoshop. Unless the person who did this was very, very good using the program, then I'd say it's a real photograph. If pressed to make the decision...real or no real...I'd bet it was real.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I believe you, in that case what do you think happened to the two people in the photo?
Old 02-02-2008, 04:32 AM
Sage
Default The Story Of The Picture

My friend, who sent me the picture, explained that the man in the picture was a friend of his from the Australian Navy. The man and his wife were both divers and their son had just completed his basic SCUBA certification course. They scheduled a day trip on a boat south of Australia and took their son with them. On his first dive they brought their camera for him to take some pictures. As they posed for their son, they could see that he was quite agitated. They saw him hold up the camera and then bolt for the surface and the dive boat. In that such a panicked ascent can cause serious injury, they quickly followed the boy to the boat. It was there that he excitedly explained what he had seen behind them. The boat captain confirmed the boy's story, having seen the shark from the surface but not having time to make a noise underwater to warn the divers. When the couple took their camera back to their hotel and uploaded the pictures into their computer, this is the image their son captured.

That's the story I got with the picture.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:05 AM
Sage
Default Apologies...It's A Fake!

I was wrong. The picture is a Photoshop production. But it was good enough to have won some sort of award. Here's the link...

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/scubashark.asp

Sorry. (But diving with the Great Whites IS on my personal bucket list!)
Old 02-02-2008, 02:02 PM
Taltarzac
Default Re: Apologies...It's A Fake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna
I was wrong. The picture is a Photoshop production. But it was good enough to have won some sort of award. Here's the link...

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/scubashark.asp

Sorry. (But diving with the Great Whites IS on my personal bucket list!)
That should probably be the last entry on your bucket list. :joke:
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.