Is America Dying?

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 04-17-2011, 05:10 PM
n/a

America must fall before it can rise.
JJ
Old 04-17-2011, 06:14 PM
n/a

I would not be too quick to dismiss the young electorate. They don't have much to compare the current state to, but many of them do understand that the prospect of too few jobs and crushing debt is not a cheery one. They also understand that more of the same will mean more of the same for them, unless they vote to change it. Sadly, they've been abandoned on many levels. However, they'll be 4 years more mature and a little less stupid about life as the next election approaches.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:00 PM
n/a

The younger voters will always go a lot more liberal than older voters. The candidates know this and have campaign workers doing a lot of vote getting among younger voters.

This bodes bad for tea party candidates.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:05 PM
n/a

Default Is america Dying?

MRDARCY's comments about not underestimating the young electorate iin my mind is critical but I don't know? I hope those I see via reality shows are the minority and not even representative of that age group. And I believe that far too many young people are disengaged. How do others view the coming generations?
Old 04-19-2011, 03:28 PM
n/a

Rubicon,

As I said earlier, most of the younger voters are quite liberal on social issues. They have the ear of the Democrats and will make a big difference on a national election day.

Every generation has probably said the younger generation is so much different and cannot be understood for their beliefs. Take a look at your and my times in our teens and early 20's. We had the hippie culture, the beat generation, peace-niks, and the generation that ended the Vietnam War by protesting an unjust war.

However, with all of that, we all got responsible jobs and had good solid careers - with the best times being after retirement - here in The Villages.

Don't be too worried about them. Our parents worried about us, we turned out pretty good.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:17 AM
n/a

TBugs,

That is because we had an education and learned to work. The generation that is coming up now has neither.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:33 AM
n/a

Default America is not dying

America is not dying, it is adjusting.

Most of us grew up in a country that had no economic competition on the scale that we face today. Europe was destroyed by World War 2. Japan was destroyed by World War 2. The US and Canada economically were the only game in town. This has changed.

Free trade is a locomotive that won't be stopped. There will come a point where the Indian and Chinese standards of living will rise to a point that it will no longer be a strain on the American standard of living.

Not death, descent to equilibrium.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:20 PM
n/a

Default Is America Dying

We have spend sometime focused on the younger generations because they are are the future. We had some outstanding people to emulate. Education was a priviledge and not a right. The Protestant ethic prevailed and civility and manners, at lest for those who didn't adhere to the hippie philosophy were still practiced.

If Hollywood movies and TV shows are a measure then who do young people look to today? Does Hollywood, sports fiures, et all have a responsibility to display and/or be good role models?
Old 04-23-2011, 06:52 PM
n/a

Default In addition they get to see the role models in Washington...eh?

Pay no taxes, cheat on what one owns, sleep around with anything that will give them the time of day, spend money they do not have, increase the spending while income stays the same or lower.....add to the list of role models big company names like Jeff Immelt Ceo of GE and learn how to not pay taxes.

These are not just isolated incidents....they pervade the Washington 535 and corporations that signal it is OK to NOT pay their share to this country.

Yup...we sure do have role models....eh?

btk
Old 04-26-2011, 12:43 PM
n/a

Default Is America Dying?

Bravo billethkid....and that to me is center to this question/thread. without a moral imperative we will continue to decline because we will have no ehtical, moral and principled leaders. In another thread one poster made reference to this very issue and i referenced this thread because this is more than a Democrat/ Republican issue. It is an American issue. We have a good number of military veterans in TV and I will bet most of them are viewing the state of this country upset about ho their sacriface seems to have been for naught.

So my focus has been to do my small part by writing my congressman/senator/president and demanding responsible results through collaborative and cooperative efforts by 535 plus 100. We need to get our housw in order. We need to demand respect and responsibility from our young as their elders. We need to let advertsing comapnies that we will boycott their products if they continu to sponsor fiflthy mindless reality shows. and we need to let newspaper/tv new shows that we are sick of the proority 24/7 soundbites they give to bad behaving celebrities. We need to reinstate the draft. We need to start with parent and their children and let them know that getting an education is a priviledge and not a right. We need a zero tolerance policy on anything that inerferes with a child's right to attend school . We need to get back to tose school days ehen i child could enter school without going through a metal detector. All of this is going to take people with a lot of determination and will and the intestinal fortitutde to perserve

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.